Cohen to Produce Monster Squad Remake

The Monster Squad, remadeI guess it’s not really a helluva lot of information, but it could be enough to ruin your morning if you’re not careful. Rob Cohen caught up with the B-D boys recently to chat about his latest film, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, and dropped some potentially disturbing news about the 1987 classic The Monster Squad.

One word: Remake. Paramount has apparently acquired the remake rights for Fred Dekker’s beloved masterpiece of monster mayhem. As of right now Cohen is on board to produce only, with supposedly no intentions of directing. I hope he’s telling the truth about that; of course whomever they do find to direct could be 1000 times worse than Cohen...

Right now it’s all in the early idea stages, it seems, so hopefully it’ll be a long time before we hear it spoken of again. And when we do, the letters “C-G-I” had better not ever come up in conversation.

- Johnny Butane

GET YOURSELF SOMETHING COOL FROM EVILSHOP!
Hope for the best, expect the worst, and discuss in the Dread Central forums!

MM is not a virgin?!

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 9:36pm.
Messiahman's picture

That's right. My virginity is just as long gone and forgotten in the far-off ether of the past as is your dignity, Kryten old chum. :-P

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 11:16pm.

Messiahman is BOGUS!

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 2:57pm.
Messiahman's picture

No way, dude. Messiahman is RIGHTEOUS.

It's The Monster Squad that's BOGUS. It's nothing but a lame GOONIES wannabe. :-P

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 3:11pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

Guess the studios rejected your GOONIES wannabe script eh? :P

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 5:28pm.
Messiahman's picture

Obviously, you have heard about my fabled spec script... "Boobies."

Basically, it's just like "Goonies," except there are no kids and no plot. Instead, it consists of a bunch of hot, naked, oiled-up women engaging in hardcore lesbian sex for two hours... all to the jumpin' tunes of Cyndi Lauper!

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 9:39pm.
PelusaMG's picture

Does it matter what tunes are playing? Most guys would be watching something like that with the volume turned down!

In any case, a sound akin to someone rapidly pulling their hand in and out of a bowl of Jello would surely drown out the delightful crowings of Ms Lauper :-0

Submitted by PelusaMG on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 9:58pm.
Messiahman's picture

Man, don't you get it? It's the addition of the Lauper tunes that makes this a work of Tarantino-esque pop art!

:-D

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 11:16pm.
admin moderator You're suffering from being
Jon Condit's picture

You're suffering from being wrong again. You might want to get that checked out :P

Submitted by Jon Condit on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 3:28pm.
Messiahman's picture

Actually, I just came back from the doctor. He told me that I had no problem at all, but that you were likely in the later stages of "being blinded from pure crap by overpowering nostalgia.'

Touche, muthafucka!

(next week, you and I will have duel at ComiCon, good sir... that's right, a DUEL!)

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 9:41pm.
admin moderator I shall bring my monocle and
Jon Condit's picture

I shall bring my monocle and fancy man moustache.

Submitted by Jon Condit on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 10:13am.
Messiahman's picture

Guess what? I'm not a fan of the original film either. While it's a good idea with a few fun moments, the execution is mostly very poor. The movie is a mess, and the ending sucks.

And anyone who doesn't truly think "Wolfman's got nards" is utterly lame is suffering from nostalgia overload -- it's incredibly lame. Oh man, is it ever lame.

Bring on a remake. And maybe do it right this time.

Submitted by Messiahman on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 2:40pm.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

The only improvement that could be made to the Wolfman's Got Nards scene would be if Wolfman actually whipped them out to prove it.

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 2:45pm.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

What is this STRAWBERRY ESTATES?

Who is RON BONK?

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 2:35pm.
Sirand's picture

The Monster Squad is as lame as anything else, only loved by nostalgic horror fans who saw it as kids. Why even waste hatred on this thing?

Submitted by Sirand on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 1:10pm.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

Lame? LAME?!?

Dracula breaking the neck of a police officer and calling a 6 year old girl a "Bitch!" is LAME?

Creature effects by Stan Winston are LAME?

"Wolfman's got Nards!" is LAME?

Horace is LAME?

I think not, sir.

I think NOT!

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 1:40pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

BLASPHEMY! As punishment for your poisoned words you must watch FUNNY GAMES and THE HITCHER remake back-to-back.

Then STRAWBERRY ESTATES. Oh yeah. You will suffer.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 1:31pm.
moderator But he actually liked Funny
Debi Moore's picture

But he actually liked Funny Games. How about both AVP's back-to-back?

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 2:10pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

No! He might actually start liking those too! I forgot he enjoyed Funny Games. No wonder he hates MONSTER SQUAD, it doesn't break the fourth wall enough!

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 2:25pm.

It was distributed by TriStar

Submitted by Kryten Syxx on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 12:14pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

Dear Hollywood,

Fuck. You.

Love,

Rottenjesus (Mr.)

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 11:37am.
Gus Bjork's picture

Was the original Monster Squad an independant or a studio release?

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 12:05pm.

I don't understand why it would ruin your day? So what? I've got Monster Squad on DVD, who cares if someone makes a shitty remake? Will it ruin your enjoyment of the original or make you appreciate the original more? And hell, maybe Dekker gets some money from it and that's good for him.

Submitted by G.D. on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 11:12am.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

It didn't ruin my day. I mistakenly said 'aneurysm' when I should have said 'boner'.

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 12:59pm.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

The Jonas Brothers. Hmmm. With Bill Ray Cyrus as Dracula and the cast of High School Musical making up the Monster Squad. There will be much singing and dancing.

That hurts! I nearly had an aneurysm from that one.

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 10:54am.
URGE TO BURN
Rorschach's picture

URGE TO BURN HOLLYWOOD.......RISING......RISING.......

Submitted by Rorschach on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 9:35am.
Spaceshark's picture

Ah what the hell, bring it on.

The Jonas Brothers would be perfect as the Brides of Dracula.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 5:38am.