Gareth Edwards Taking a Grounded, Realistic Approach to Godzilla Reboot

Kicking off the work week, unless you're one of the lucky ones who are celebrating Columbus Day, we have an update on what kaiju fans can expect from Gareth Edwards' reboot of Godzilla for Legendary Pictures, and it's very good news!

In a conversation with Total Film (via Coventry Telegraph), Edwards said, "I've never worked this hard, this long and been this emotionally involved in something that's lasted only a few seconds since the time I lost my virginity! But the reaction has been amazing, and I can't wait for the fans to see our final product."

"I've always been interested in Godzilla and the ideas around him. I really wanted to see another Godzilla film and jumped at the opportunity. My main idea was to imagine, 'If this really happened, what would it be like?' I want to take a grounded, realistic approach to a Godzilla film."

Related Story: Godzilla Burns Up a New Writer; Casting to Begin Soon

Amazed by the "fantastic" fan reaction to teaser footage screened at the San Diego Comic-Con, Edwards added he is also very happy with the way he's been welcomed in LA, managing to avoid the interference and micro-managing that big studios can often be accused of doing, adding, "Everyone warns you about working for Hollywood and how you can get treated in a certain way, but my experience has been the polar opposite. Thomas Tull [founder of Legendary] has been very supportive."

Look for the film on May 16, 2014, and keep it here for lots more in the meantime.

Gareth Edwards Taking a Grounded, Realistic Approach to Godzilla Reboot

Gareth Edwards Taking a Grounded, Realistic Approach to Godzilla Reboot

Stomp around in the comments section below!

Source: Coventry Telegraph

I'm going to see the trailer before making any judgements on this movie. I think Edwards is going to really surprise us with a great vision for Godzilla. I can't wait.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 10:26pm.

I don't get the people saying Godzilla can't/shouldn't be realistic and grounded. That's exactly what the character was founded upon. If there's one giant monster that SHOULD be grounded, its Godzilla. Edwards has said the original is one of his favorite movies and it had a big influence on MONSTERS, so him trying to honor that isn't a bad thing at all.

For good measure, here's a quote from Ishiro Honda concerning the making of the original 1954 film (taken from the book Age of the Gods).

"The three of us agreed we should tackle the film earnestly, as if it were a factual subject... We must think of it as real, not just a ridiculous monster created by bombs. That would give the film a realistic feeling."

If people are going to complain that Emmerich/Devlin strayed too far from the source for the crappy 1998 movie, those same people shouldn't give the new guy crap for trying to stick to the tone of the original.

Submitted by MouthForWar on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 5:49pm.
Sirand's picture

THANK YOU!!!

The original Godzilla was as grounded as monster movies get.
Just like that film was a sobering post-Hiroshima movie, I imagine this will be a post-9/11 version for Americans. Edwards knows what he's doing.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 6:20pm.
Jerel Of The Dead's picture

Godzilla 98 tried the realistic approach. . . Just saying.

Submitted by Jerel Of The Dead on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 2:18pm.

Did it? I know they tried to make Godzilla himself behave and resemble like real life lizards, but everything else in that movie is about as realistic as Pamela Anderson's face. I don't think Emmerich even tried to make it "grounded"

You know another Godzilla movie that was made to be as realistic as possible? The 1954 original.

Submitted by MouthForWar on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 11:32pm.
Vanvance1's picture

But I don't want to see a 'grounded, realistic' Godzilla movie. Godzilla is not a drama or a gritty war movie. Godzilla has it's own tone achieved in the wake of decades of films.

Edwards's comments and the certainty of a CGI Godzilla mean this will likely be as entertaining as Jackson's crpatastic King Kong remake.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 1:28pm.
The Buz's picture

You want silly bullshit camp Godzilla that came in the sequels? The original is the most grounded of giant monster movies. It directly takes from the actions taken when Japan was bombed at Hiroshima and Nakaswa.

Godzilla IS a drama and a gritty war movie, albeit through metaphors. I'm supremely excited and happy that Edwards is taking this approach. I love the idea of seeing what exactly the procedure would be for the world if a giant monster rose from the depths and started wrecking havoc.

You're welcome to want the more silly bombastic Godzilla, but I for one want to have the original tone back with a serious attitude and a level of danger that we have not had since Godzilla: Giant Monsters All Out Attack (where the big G was back to being a bad guy, excellent Zilla movie for fans to check out if you haven't seen it).

And for those that didn't see the trailer at Comic Con or any of the bootlegs that showed up...Holy shit.

I have never squealed like a little girl before but when I heard that roar, I nearly soiled myself with excitement.

Submitted by The Buz on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 4:59pm.

I agree with you Buz. I can't wait to see what Edwards has in store for us.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 7:28pm.