San Diego Comic-Con 2012: Godzilla Appears! Full Trailer Description!

The moment you have been waiting for has arrived. The teaser trailer for Legendary Pictures' Godzilla has made its debut in Hall H, and we've got a full description of what was shown. Without further ado...

A city decimated. Completely destroyed. The camera pans by the wreckage of a train, A distant voice is heard reading from the Book of Revelations. Dust everywhere. Cars crushed. Holes in skyscrapers.

We then see a giant centipede-like creature with many arms and legs smoldering. (You know what that means? Monster battles!) The city appears dead as a doornail. Then blackness. THE ROAR. As in THE roar. Huge bass drop. Raymond Burr finishes his famous speech. Dust...then an arm... a hand... with claws. Pan up... holy shit... the fins. The head. Godzilla. As we know him. The real fucking Godzilla. He roars again.

Fade to GODZILLA! With red Japanese title behind it.

"I wanted to do Godzilla as if this really happened. How people would really deal with this kind of disaster," says director Gareth Edwards. Bless his heart!

Max Borenstein (The Seventh Son) wrote the script, and Gareth Edwards, the director of the indie sci-fi movie Monsters, directs the creature feature centered on the giant city-destroying and monster-fighting lizard for Legendary Pictures.

Legendary's Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing along with Dan Lin, Roy Lee, and Brian Rogers. Warner Bros. will distribute per its deal with Legendary.

David Goyer (The Dark Knight) previously worked on the script.

San Diego Comic-Con 2012: Godzilla Appears! Full Trailer Description!

Stomp around in the comments section below!

Sirand's picture

Can't believe the comments here...and I'm a life-long Big G fan.

Anyone who thinks they would be using a man-in-suit for this film is just delusional or crazy. Even the last Japanese appearance of Godzilla was fully CGI (and still AWESOME!).

And those complaining about the serious tone need to wake up and realize that the original GODZILLA was a deadly serious, dark film that was a reaction to Hiroshima (this is the 9/11 version).

Just like Gollum in LOTR or the apes in the new PLANET OF THE APES, no one will care because it's so well-realized.

Good point about the Robert Oppenheimer speech though. I didn't think it was Raymond Burr.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 07/16/2012 - 11:12am.
nazo's picture

...GODZILLA was a deadly serious, dark film that was a reaction to Hiroshima (this is the 9/11 version)

Godzilla in Baghdad could be really interesting.

Submitted by nazo on Mon, 07/16/2012 - 8:05pm.
MonsterMash's picture

I just saw a glimpse of Big G's head online, and I'm not particularly impressed. Most people dug the 2000 design, so why not go with that? Besides, I thought the 1998 version was supposed to be the "what if this really happened" thing. That didn't work. I see that movie as more of a remake of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms anyway. In that frame of mind, it works.

Submitted by MonsterMash on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 7:43pm.
nazo's picture

Wait, Raymond Burr was in the original Godzilla? Did I miss something?

Oh, and put me in the "Monsters was really boring" camp.

Submitted by nazo on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 12:39am.
The Buz's picture

Hes in the American Release as Dr. Steve Martin.

Submitted by The Buz on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 1:16am.
yeah, being
nazo's picture

yeah, being facetious

/original pedantry

Submitted by nazo on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 11:54am.
Jerel Of The Dead's picture

They also brought him back for the American release of Godzilla 1985/The Return of Godzilla.

Submitted by Jerel Of The Dead on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 6:56am.
Jerel Of The Dead's picture

As a big Godzilla fan, I can't wait for this movie. My nephew and I will be there with bells own. Also, I don't like the 1998 Godzilla movie much, I don't hate it as much as others, but it's still not a good movies. I love the follow up cartoon series though. If you have Netflix you should check it out.

Submitted by Jerel Of The Dead on Sat, 07/14/2012 - 11:35pm.
MonsterMash's picture

I really didn't like much of monsters. It put me to sleep. I don't remember any other time falling asleep during a monster movie, or even a horror film i've never seen before in general. The only godzilla movies I really dug were most of the showa era and GMK. Final wars was fun, and 2K was entertaining.

Submitted by MonsterMash on Sat, 07/14/2012 - 8:35pm.
Vanvance1's picture

CGI means I'm not paying to see this in the theatre.

Godzilla MUST be a practical effect or I'm just watching a video game. i.e. The fight scenes in the last Hulk movie had me reaching for my gamepad. That's not a good thing.

P.S. Fuck you Gareth Edwards, Monsters was poorly paced and had a weak script.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sat, 07/14/2012 - 8:26pm.

Fuck the man in the suit garbage, as long as Godzilla looks bad ass I don't give a shit if he's CGI, rotoscoped, or claymation. Christ Godzilla fans are more annoying than Trek fans. Writing off a movie because it doesn't have a 5'8" Japanese man in a suit and rubber head. Wow. I'm all for Edwards tackling Godzilla. After the 1998 shitfest, he couldn't possibly do any worse.

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 07/14/2012 - 9:21pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I said practical f/x. That means guy in suit, puppets, models... whatever it takes to keep it physical with a sense of mass, weight and dimension.

They computer generated the last American Godzilla movie and that was a mistake. It's still a mistake today.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 12:31am.

I thought the mistake was making Godzilla in to an asexual lizard being chased around New York by Ferris Bueller and half the cast of the Simpsons? The CGI was only about two percent of the problem with Godzilla 1998.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 12:39am.
Vanvance1's picture

I'm not arguing with that. The 1998 movie didn't have a single redeeming quality.

What I will argue is that physical f/x don't need to be power rangers cheese. I think they can be much more effective at conveying a sense of realism, mass, movement, interaction with real objects etc... than anything created on a computer.

I'm all for using some CGI for detail work and to gloss over seams and wires. It's fine for Godzilla's atomic fire. But the best part of a Godzilla film are always the fights between him and the other monsters, those don't work if it becomes a video game.

For proof I reference Peter Jackson's 'King Kong' and the battles on the Island. The fun wasn't there.

I don't believe Gareth Edwards understands what makes Godzilla fun and enduring. I think in his drive to bring 'realism' to the concept he's moving away from the over the top nature that is inherent to Godzilla. He wants to be a respected film maker, he wants to 'elevate the material.' He's not brave enough to admit that a certain amount of B movie thrills have to be invited and embraced.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 4:08am.
nazo's picture

I agree, bringing "realism" to Godzilla misses the point. That's not to say you can't have a good story and emotion in a Godzilla movie, the original proves you can, but it also proves that the movie doesn't have to deal with the situation realistically in order for the audience to be invested in the characters.

Submitted by nazo on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 12:03pm.

But you can't honestly expect audiences to be invested if Godzilla is hovering on his tail or knocking around a mini version of him. Realism is what's in right now, and Godzilla could stand some of it.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 6:53pm.
MonsterMash's picture

Fair enough Terminal, but when it comes down to it, you're still talking about a 400-foot raidoactive dinosaur that beats up on space monsters. It shouldn't be a documentary, and it shouldn't be as rediculous as Son of Godzilla. However, I hope they find good middle ground.

Submitted by MonsterMash on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 7:53pm.

In that tone you can make anything sound ridiculous. We're talking about corpses that are eating people, we're talking about monsters that suck blood, we're talking about a killer with a hockey mask from the eighties. It doesn't mean they have to inherently be ridiculous on film.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 8:09pm.
nazo's picture

Here's my concern.

"I wanted to do Godzilla as if this really happened. How people would really deal with this kind of disaster"

A movie about how people would really deal with Godzilla would likely be all self-righteous navel gazing, mourning for dead relatives, and haphazard plans to launch billions of dollars of ineffective armaments at the creature (problem). That's how people usually deal with gigantic unforeseen disasters.

To me, that's not interesting in and of itself. I hate to keep harping on Gojira, but what made that story so great was its telling of a different story (about atomic weapons) through a fantastical (unrealistic) but incredibly well done metaphor. If this just turns out to be "what would it actually be like...", then that's less interesting.

Of course, this is probably just over-reaction based on one quote, but a lot of the potential mistakes are aspects of Monsters I didn't like, so who knows...

Submitted by nazo on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 9:42pm.

Gareth Edwards managed to perfectly show a world that was forced to co-exist with a new breed of monster that was dominating society. I think his take on Godzilla is going to be the shot in the arm that the mythos needs and must have to succeed as a modern film series. Audiences want realism these days. Fantasy isn't as lauded as it used to be, I think Godzilla fans should get over it and accept what's happening. I think Godzilla is going to be excellent.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 07/16/2012 - 6:41am.
Vanvance1's picture

Well said. I just with Edwards could read it.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 11:20pm.

Edwards knows how to tell a story, he doesn't need to read comments on a horror website to get him through this movie. If you want the old days, go re-visit the classic Godzilla movies, I'll be anxiously awaiting this new take with baited breath.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 07/16/2012 - 6:44am.
Vanvance1's picture

True, but a 'grittier' more 'realistic' tone that is trendy in this day and age doesn't equal more fun. In fact I'd argue it runs counter to what Godzilla does best.

I don't want a gritty version of Godzilla. I also don't want ANOTHER CGI version.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 8:38pm.

"Cloverfield" opted for realism and it ended up being a harrowing and entertaining monster movie. "Batman" opted for realism and it ended up being a groundbreaking trilogy of films.

Godzilla geeks need to get over that their monster is no longer a man in a suit and has to become a monster for a new generation. The sooner they accept change, the sooner we can all move on with our lives and stop bashing a movie that hasn't even come out yet.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 07/16/2012 - 6:43am.

And you're basing that on what? One movie? Realism is in right now. "Cloverfield" was a hit, love it or hate it, so I think realism could work in Godzilla's favor.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 07/15/2012 - 8:17am.
The Buz's picture

Could not agree more. It looked damn good.

Submitted by The Buz on Sat, 07/14/2012 - 10:43pm.

I would have loved to see that. I'm glad Edwards has been recruited as opposed to someone sucky like Louis Leterrier or Tim Story.

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 07/14/2012 - 11:15pm.

A man in a suit destroying model cities would look incredibly comical nowadays. And if you take into account HD cameras, they would really look like shit.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Sat, 07/14/2012 - 9:28pm.

It would look like a big budget episode of Power Rangers. I'm not paying to see that.

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 07/14/2012 - 11:16pm.
MonsterMash's picture

He put me to sleep. AND my friend I watched it with. So you're not the only one who didn't enjoy that one. But unlike you, I still have hope for it. Even CGI and Hollywood can't kill the Big G.

Submitted by MonsterMash on Sat, 07/14/2012 - 8:38pm.