Exclusive: Katrina Bowden Enters The Asylum for Their First Theatrical Feature Don't Hold Your Breath

If someone were to ask you if The Asylum was ever going to make a theatrically released film, you’d probably respond, “Don’t hold your breath!” Turns out Don’t Hold Your Breath will be the title of their first ever big screen bound slasher flick starring “30 Rock” beauty Katrina Bowden.

You would expect with The Asylum building a reputation producing mockbusters and outlandish “mega” movies that their first foray in big screen moviemaking would be cut from that cloth. And you would be wrong. Don’t Hold Your Breath is an original horror flick in the vein of Shocker, The Horror Show, and Fallen.

Are you familiar with the old wives' tale that you should hold your breath when passing by a cemetery lest an evil spirit rejected by both heaven and hell gets inside of you when you inhale? Someone in a carload of college kids on holiday doesn’t hold his/her breath when driving by a graveyard, allowing the spirit of a recently executed serial killer to get inside him/her to begin a spree of body-jumping carnage.

In that regard, the title Don’t Hold Your Breath doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. They should hold their breath, right? I wouldn’t be surprised if the title gets changed before its release.

Katrina Bowden (pictured below) of “30 Rock”, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, and very shortly to be seen almost certainly getting eaten alive in Piranha 3DD has signed on to star. Randy Wayne of “The Lying Game” and Grizzly Park co-stars along with Gerald Webb, an Asylum regular whose work can be most recently seen in the likes of Air Collision, 2-Headed Shark Attack, and Zombie Apocalypse.

Shooting has just begun in the past week on this Asylum chiller directed by Jared Cohn, the director of The Asylum’s shockingly decent Lifetime Network thriller Born Bad, and written by Geoff Meed, who previously penned their mockbuster I Am Omega.

While Don’t Hold Your Breath is intended for the big screen, the plan is for a limited theatrical roll-out prior to its DVD/VOD release. Odds are you won’t be seeing this one at the mall multiplex. Then again, stranger things have happened. I mean, who would have ever thought The Asylum would begin making movies intended for the big screen?

Hold your breath in the comments section below!

Everybody "star" was a "nobody" once. You actually ran an article about Erin when Paranormal Entity came out.

Submitted by avisitor on Mon, 05/28/2012 - 10:44pm.
Cinemascribe's picture

Hey! You guys mentioned Katrina Bowden but not the random warm body playing Background Guy Number 2? What the hell kind of a site is this? How DARE you not give equal coverage to my good friend Background Guy Number 2, with whom I developed a close bond after he muttered "Thanks" when I served him from the craft services table on the set of that reality television show that the Oxygen network never actually picked up two years ago!* Don't you know that without Background Guy Number 2's ability to stand there and sort of slouch near the street lamp while the rest of the cast emotes in the foreground, entire scenes would lose all of their power and subtext?
You guys don't give enough coverage to the really important actors and actresses in Asylum flicks! You know, all of those one shot folks populating the corners of the frame who occasionally show up in SyFy movies as well. Curse you!! (shakes fist).

*(I'm making this shit up as I go)

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Fri, 05/25/2012 - 2:54am.

Erin Marie Hogan was not mentioned here??
Erin is going to rule this film!!
I suggest you get some good information out here about her.

Submitted by barj98 on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 11:25am.

Who is Erin Marie Hogan and why does she have a fan club?

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 1:38pm.

Erin Marie Hogan from Paranormal Entity is in this and she is not even mentioned at all. She is second or third billed in this movie. Totally left her out! What the eff? There are other people that should get recognition as well, even though Katrina Bowden is from 30 Rock. Come on now!

Submitted by lighting1818 on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 2:32am.

Who's Erin Marie Hogan?

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 11:12am.

She is in a movie called Paranormal Entity, not activity. It's a film also made my The Asylum. Erin is going to be one of the characters in Don't Hold Your Breath as well. I just just pointing that other cast members should also be named as well. She is a rising actress, maybe not as well known as Katrina, but should certainly be credited.

Submitted by lighting1818 on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 7:22pm.

It's Dread Central's job to report news and lead with big names to garner interest. I read this damn article because Katrina Bowden was attached to it. They did their jobs by mustering interest in the movie. Had they mentioned Erin Marie Hogan in the headline, I would have moved on to something more interesting.

How about gratitude instead of whining?

I have no idea who Erin Marie Hogan is. Big whoop.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 7:53pm.
moderator Wow. Really guys? Here's the

Wow. Really guys?

Here's the thing ... This was the initial story on the film. We can only report on the information that is given to us at that time. Wasn't not trying to be rude, just reporting on what we had.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 9:06pm.

Hey, I'm on your side. But whatever.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 10:33pm.
moderator I was talking to the the two

I was talking to the the two people complaining Terminal, not you!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 05/25/2012 - 1:10am.

I apologize then, Creepy. I won't cut you.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 05/25/2012 - 3:31am.
Foywonder's picture

Sorry. Not meant to be a slight against her or anyone else in the cast. The three named were the only casting I was privy to. I'm sure now that I've spilled the beans more info will be forthcoming shortly.

Submitted by Foywonder on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 4:42am.

That's fine. I just know because Erin told me, herself, that she was shooting this and was part of the cast. I figured I would speak her mind for her in some ways. She read the article and as well. I'm sure there will be more articles involving other casts members once it hits theaters.

Submitted by lighting1818 on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 7:41pm.
The Buz's picture

That's incredibly unprofessional to do. You do your friend a disservice by speaking up for her in such a way, and it paints her in a poor light.

You know what the professional simple and less aggressive way to handle this would be? Email Foy directly and say "Hey! This person is also in this, she's a friend of mine and could certainly use and deserves the exposure, think you could add her onto the story? She is the Third Billed after all."

Point is, don't speak for your friends, especially in a public form concerning their careers and profession.

Submitted by The Buz on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 9:00pm.
James Coker's picture

with the roll of really Fun films coming from the asylum and now the Jump to theatrical! . . . ASYLUM IS ON THE RISE!!!

Submitted by James Coker on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 2:19am.

Holy shit!

Ya know what Universal should do? Make A cheap direct to vid rip-off!

Submitted by will graham on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 4:06pm.

How the hell did they get Katrina Bowden? And when are one of the Lincoln brothers going to join the cast?

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 4:05pm.
Foywonder's picture

How the hell did they get Katrina Bowden? Probably the same way they got Ving Rhames for Zombie Apocalypse.

Submitted by Foywonder on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 6:42pm.

Yeah but it's Ving Rhames. He's played the same one note character for years. Bowden's star is on the rise.

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 05/23/2012 - 10:27pm.