Paramount Confirms Next Friday the 13th in 3D

Paramount Confirms Next Friday the 13th in 3DYep, you read that correctly: The next Friday the 13th film will be in 3D. Before you begin ranting, though, remember this... it worked back in 1982, right? The announcement came during Paramount's presentation at CineEurope.

Director David Bruckner (The Signal, V/H/S) is in talks to helm the new film, but nothing has been confirmed as of press time. Friday the 13th 3D, as it is being called for now, will be leaping off of screens and into your lap on November 13, 2015.

Hopefully they'll bring Derek Mears (the only good part about that lackluster Platinum Dunes reboot) back behind the mask.

Stay tuned, kids. We're sure more news will be rolling out soon!

Subscribe to the Dread Central YouTube Channel!
Have a death curse in our comments section below!

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

GODFLESH69's picture

Mears doesn't need a mask to be creepy recently saw him in The Aggression Scale & Compound Fracture just thow him in front of the camera and it's all good.

Submitted by GODFLESH69 on Tue, 06/24/2014 - 3:24pm.
Cinemascribe's picture

In defense of a return to 3D for Mr. Voorhees,at least the quality of the process would be a massive leap forward from what audiences experienced in the 1980's. So that's a plus.

I think the practical question before horror fans right now is whether or not the studio plans to still pursue the found footage premise that's been brought up a number of times. As much as I want to see Jason bring his brand of brutal carnage to Crystal Lake again, I can't see the application of the 3D format to a film shot from a shaky-cam perpsective as anything but a disaster waiting to happen, no matter how clean a Real D image would be compared to the technology from thirty years ago. I sincerely hope the 3D direction sounds the death knell for the found footage concept. I also agree that they should definitely retain the services of the awesome Derek Mears.

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Thu, 06/19/2014 - 9:26pm.
LifeMi's picture

Remember Final Destination 5? That was a great example of a modern 3D slasher film, so I'm cool with a new F13 in 3D. I just don't want the found footage approach, which I agree wouldn't work with 3D. As for Mears, I wouldn't mind having him back. I didn't care much for his Jason, but that had more to do with the writing and directing; if Mears had good material, he could be every bit as good as Ted White and Kane Hodder.

Submitted by LifeMi on Thu, 06/19/2014 - 9:50pm.
GODFLESH69's picture

I think the My Bloody Valentine 3D remake made good use of the 3D .It can be done right I just hope its not just filler and the overall film has something to add to the franchise. The bar is pretty low at this point for the F13 films considering that last debacle.

Submitted by GODFLESH69 on Fri, 06/20/2014 - 12:26am.
frank_dracman's picture

Hell, even without the 3D My Bloody Valentine was great. There were scenes that made really good use of it, and some were a little gimmicky but the secret is to have a good movie first and then worry about the 3D gags. I'm kinda bummed we never got a sequel.

Oh, and fuck the new Friday the 13th, 3D or not. I got 10 movies I can watch and enjoy, don't need anymore.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Fri, 06/20/2014 - 2:04am.
Cinemascribe's picture

Yeah,man, I felt the same way about the MBV remake. I appreciated that there was enough of an actual plot to generate a fair amount of suspense as well open the door for some well employed misdirection as to who the actual killer was, as opposed to most films where the audience has it worked out in the first five minutes.

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Fri, 06/20/2014 - 1:50pm.
hbkhumanity's picture

Agreed, Derek Mears killed it as Jason. His body movement and "eye" expressions were great. Sadly, seeing as how this is another reboot, they'll probably want to start fresh with another actor.

Submitted by hbkhumanity on Thu, 06/19/2014 - 4:43pm.
GODFLESH69's picture

most of the time the 3D is just a gimmick to up the ticket prices & usually doesn't pay off.

Submitted by GODFLESH69 on Thu, 06/19/2014 - 1:34pm.
MonsterMash's picture

True, but if they somehow do this one right, that's probably the way I'll see it- given they do it part 3 style. If I see it at all. Honestly when will we get back to showing original stuff on the big screen? These are fun and all, but when can we move past all the possession garbage and these nostalgia 80's cash grabs?

Submitted by MonsterMash on Thu, 06/19/2014 - 6:27pm.