Edgar Wright Looking to Direct Johnny Depp in Kolchak: The Night Stalker

Edgar Wright Looking to Direct Johnny Depp in Kolchak: The Night StalkerGeeks around the world were incredibly saddened last week when Edgar Wright parted ways with the live-action Ant-Man adaptation he had been working on, which had been a true passion project of his.

Though undoubtedly a bummer, Wright's departure from the project frees him up to do other things, and it looks like he's got Kolchak on the mind. Read on!

Deadline reports that Wright is currently developing a feature film adaptation of the 1970s TV series "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" with Johnny Depp attached to star as the title character. The late Darren McGavin made the role famous in both the series and two previous films.

Carl Kolchak covered crime for a tabloid, and his cases always led to supernatural perpetrators that included zombies, vampires, werewolves, and aliens. Of course, neither his editor nor anyone else would believe him or allow him to run what seemed like outrageous stories, but he always got close enough to the truth that he was stalked by these great villains and found a way to dispatch them.

According to the website the script is looking good, and the fate of the project lies mostly in the hands of Johnny Depp, who is very busy with other films at the moment.

If you're bummed about the Ant-Man news, we hope this tasty little tidbit softens that blow just a little bit. It certainly does for us!

Johnny Depp / Kolchak the Night Stalker

Subscribe to the Dread Central YouTube Channel!
Stalk the night in the comments section below!

Source: Deadline

Depp is doing what all the hollywood execs keep doing.
remaking their childhood favorite movies/tv shows.
I guess he will be Gilligan next.
or maybe the Green Acres guy.

Submitted by shallowcuts on Fri, 05/30/2014 - 6:25am.

As dubious as Johnny Depp's roles have been lately, his casting as Kolchak is nowhere near as bad as Paul Rudd being cast in the role of Ant-Man.

Submitted by addeisdead on Fri, 05/30/2014 - 1:30am.
frank_dracman's picture

Oh so true. Did Wright have anything to do with that casting or was it men in suits? Either way, when I heard Rudd was in it my interest dropped 70%.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Fri, 05/30/2014 - 10:50am.

I'm sure it had to have been the suits. I have not yet seen a (mostly) comedic actor really pull off a superhero role yet. Was not impressed with Ryan Reynolds as either Deadpool or the Green Lantern, and Seth Rogen was a disaster in the Green Hornet. We have Chris Pratt coming up in the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Jesse Eisenberg is the next Lex Luthor. It's all about demographics and name recognition.

Submitted by addeisdead on Fri, 05/30/2014 - 11:18am.
LifeMi's picture

You're forgetting Michael Keaton. Still my favorite live action Batman.

Submitted by LifeMi on Mon, 06/02/2014 - 1:23am.

I hope Depp wears a funny hat and speaks in a funny accent.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/29/2014 - 3:13am.
frank_dracman's picture

That's ALL HE DOES. Any movie that he tries to "play it straight" crashes and burns at the box office. Except Ed Wood. Goddamn do I love that movie. I kinda see his appeal, though. He's charming, handsome and dresses like an old gypsy woman. Chicks love that stuff.

Wright being attached is the only reason I'm interested. Even then, I shudder at the though of the recent reboot. Ugh.

Submitted by frank_dracman on Thu, 05/29/2014 - 9:17am.

The last Johnny Depp movie that I truly enjoyed was From Hell. Everything since then has been embarrassing.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Thu, 05/29/2014 - 2:54pm.
Matt Serafini's picture

Lone Ranger forever!

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Thu, 05/29/2014 - 3:12pm.
moderator One of my favorite actors
Debi Moore's picture

One of my favorite actors working on one of my favorite childhood memories? Yes, PLEASE - just keep the tone serious, and it should be a slam dunk.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Wed, 05/28/2014 - 4:38pm.