Arrow Video Releasing an Exclusive New Restoration of Lucio Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters in December
On Monday, December 3rd, Arrow Video is releasing a newly restored version of Lucio Fulci’s controversial horror masterpiece Zombie Flesh Eaters on Blu-ray, DVD, and Limited Edition Steelbook; and we have the full synopsis and detailed list of special features right here.
From the Press Release:
Painstakingly restored from the original camera negative, Zombie Flesh Eaters stands out as one of famed distributor Arrow Video’s biggest ever (and best looking) restoration projects. These landmark releases will contain a wealth of special features, additional collector’s material, and never-before-seen extras including optional English/Italian opening titles, a UK exclusive introduction to the film from lead actor Ian McCulloch, and a number of brand new featurettes.
Available as a Limited Edition Steelbook (complete with limited edition artwork), Limited Edition Slipbox (with 4 alternate artworks – available exclusively from Arrow Video), and as standard edition Blu-ray and DVD, a complete list of the special features included in these highly anticipated Zombie Flesh Eaters releases is as follows:
- A brand new high definition restoration of the original negative with optional English and Italian opening titles
- Optional English SDH subtitles for English audio / a new English subtitles translation for Italian audio
- Optional original, restored Italian and English Mono 2.0 audio
- Audio commentary with screenwriter Elisa Briganti, moderated by Calum Waddell
- Audio commentary with Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower and horror expert Alan Jones
- UK exclusive introduction to the film from Ian McCulloch
- “ALIENS, CANNIBALS AND ZOMBIES: A TRILOGY OF ITALIAN TERROR” – Actor Ian McCulloch remembers his three classics of Latin horror lunacy - ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CONTAMINATION and ZOMBI HOLOCAUST
- “FROM ROMERO TO ROME: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE ITALIAN ZOMBIE FILM” – Veteran Fulci screenwriters Dardano Sacchetti (THE BEYOND) and Antonio Tentori (CAT IN THE BRAIN), celebrated UK critic Kim Newman and filmmakers Luigi Cozzi (CONTAMINATION), Ruggero Deodato (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST), Russ Streiner (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD) plus many more share memories of the genesis of corpse -crunching cinema - from Romero's early templates to the gory glory days of Fulci and his many successors.
- “THE MEAT MUNCHING MOVIES OF GINO DE ROSSI” – The special effects magician behind many Italian splatter classics talks about his most famous gore-drenched greats - and shows props from many plasma-packed masterworks - including ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, CANNIBAL FEROX, BURIAL GROUND and PIRANHA II.
- “ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS - FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN” – Dardano Sacchetti shows key pages from his original ISLAND OF THE LIVING DEAD screenplay.
- Trailers and TV spots
- Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower, a new interview with star Olga Karlatos by Calum Waddell, a history of Zombie Flesh Eaters and the BBFC by Craig Lapper , one of the board’s senior examiners, and extracts of the original ‘Nightmare Island’ 1978 script including unfilmed, alternate, and more gory sequences as well as a Lucio Fulci CV compiled by Jay Slater.
Hailing from the now infamous “Video Nasty” era of horror films, Zombie Flesh Eaters became an unstoppable cult hit upon its release in 1979. The film divided opinion across the globe and came up against opposition in many territories for the sheer amount of bloody content and its high gore factor. The original cut of Zombie Flesh Eaters was banned in the UK upon release, and the film that appeared in cinemas was an edited version with a full 2 minutes of brutality stripped out to get past the classification board. These new high definition restored editions contain the full unedited film, as Fulci made them to be seen.
From the sleazy video nasty vaults comes a movie so stained with controversy and moral indignation that the very mention of its name sends shudders down the spines of the weak stomached and censorious – Zombie Flesh Eaters. A gut-munching, shark wrestling, eye-gouging orgy of topless skin divers, mud-caked undead terror, and Italian splatter from the dark imagination of horror genius Lucio Fulci (The Beyond, City of The Living Dead).
An abandoned boat in New York Harbour unleashes a deadly flesh crazed zombie cargo... A young American woman and a journalist investigate a tropical island where a deadly disease is making the dead walk... Soon, thoughts of getting to the bottom of the murderous curse will be forgotten, as Fulci’s walking corpses overwhelm the living and reports come in that the Big Apple is swarming with the living dead...
After more than thirty years, Zombie Flesh Eaters still has the power to shock and offend the unwilling... Check out this classic ‘sadist video’ and revel in a wonderfully offensive movie that once helped usher in a moral panic!
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Overwhelm the living in the comments section below!