The remastered classics just keep coming, and this time it’s Icon Film Distribution stepping up to the plate to bring 1959’s Peter Cushing chiller The Mummy back to hi-def life on Blu-ray in the UK on October 14th.
From the Press Release:
On 14th October Hammer’s classic film THE MUMMY will be released for the first time ever in HD on Blu-ray and on DVD double play and presented in its original UK theatrical aspect ratio of 1.66:1. Fans will also be treated to a host of brand new extras never seen before.
Starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in their iconic roles in the third of Hammer’s original Gothic classics, THE MUMMY (1959) was directed by the legendary Terence Fisher, who previously helmed DRACULA and THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN.
Available 14th October in the UK on 3-disc Double Play, the pack comprises 1 x Blu-ray and 2 x DVD; the release also includes brand new documentaries, a new expert commentary track from Marcus Hearn and Jonathan Rigby, and multiple bonus extras and a stills gallery.
One by one the archaeologists who discover the 4,000-year-old tomb of Princess Ananka are brutally murdered. Kharis (Lee), high priest in Egypt 40 centuries ago, has been brought to life by the power of the ancient gods, and his sole purpose is to destroy those responsible for the desecration of the sacred tomb. But Isobel Banning (Yvonne Furneaux), wife of one of the explorers (Cushing), resembles the beautiful princess, forcing the speechless and tormented monster to defy commands and abduct Isobel to an unknown fate…
Marking this as the most definitive edition of the Hammer classic to date, Icon’s package comes in the form of a triple pack containing the hi-def Blu-ray and two DVDs, sporting a wide range of special features including:
DVD DISC 1
• Original UK theatrical aspect ratio: 1.66:1 (the film has never before been released at this aspect ratio)
• Alternate “full frame” aspect ratio: 1.37:1
• English HOH subtitles for both features
• Commentary – New expert commentary from Marcus Hearn & Jonathan Rigby
DVD DISC 2
• “Unwrapping the Mummy: The Making of a Hammer Classic” — New documentary about the film’s creation and history
• “The Hammer Rep Company” — New documentary about Hammer’s informal repertory company of actors.
• “Stolen Face” – bonus feature (Terence Fisher’s 1952 crime drama, 72 mins.)
• “The House of Horror: Memories of Bray” – Hammer’s all-new documentary (45 mins.) which will premiere on Hammer’s YouTube channel before the Double Play release
• “Hammer Stars: Peter Cushing” – The World of Hammer episode
• HD Archive/Stills Gallery
• Original industry promo reel restored to HD (6 mins.)
• PDF booklet by Hammer archivist Robert J. E. Simpson
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Grapple with evil in the comments section below.