‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman1x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman2x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman3x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman4x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman5x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman6x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman7x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman8x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman9x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman10x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman11x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman12x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman13x’, ‘/gallery/thedarkman/thedarkman14x’
Cemetery Dance has announced a new Stephen King project, The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem, which will be illustrated by Glenn Chadbourn and printed in a few very limited and collectible editions. Read on for the details, covers, and some sample drawings .
From the Press Release:
“Randall Flagg came to me when I wrote a poem called ‘The Dark Man’ when I was a junior or senior in college. It came to me out of nowhere, this guy in cowboy boots who moved around on the roads, mostly hitchhiking at night, always wore jeans and a denim jacket. I wrote the poem in the college restaurant on the back of a placemat, but that guy never left my mind.” — Stephen King
The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem will be published in four states:
• World’s First Edition, First Printing Trade Hardcover ($25)
• World’s First Edition, First Printing SLIPCASED trade hardcover featuring a different dust jacket and shrink-wrapped with a deluxe custom-made slipcase and a collectible Glenn Chadbourne bookmark featuring a Dark Man drawing that doesn’t appear in the book ($49.95)
• Traycased Signed Limited Edition of only 500 copies printed in two colors on a specialty paper stock, bound in a fine material with two-color hot foil stamping, a different dust jacket, a color frontispiece, satin ribbon page marker, and embossed endpapers, signed by Stephen King and Glenn Chadbourne ($350)
• Signed Lettered Edition of only 52 copies printed in two colors on a specialty paper stock and bound in two different fine materials with gilded page edges, a different dust jacket, a different color frontispiece, a satin ribbon page marker, imported endpapers, a hand-drawn Dark Man illustration by Glenn Chadbourne in every copy, all protected in a custom deluxe traycase, signed by Stephen King and Glenn Chadbourne ($1750)
The first 5,000 trade hardcovers printed will be SLIPCASED and shrink-wrapped with a bonus, collectible Glenn Chadbourne Limited Edition bookmark featuring a Dark Man drawing that doesn’t appear in the book.
NOTE FOR COLLECTORS: The Lettered Edition SOLD OUT already, but a WAITING LIST (click here) has been set up if you wish to be notified if any copies become available.
Stephen King first wrote about The Dark Man in college after he envisioned a faceless man in cowboy boots and jeans and a denim jacket forever walking the roads. Later this dark man would come to be known around the world as one of King’s greatest villains, Randall Flagg, but at the time King only had simple questions on his mind: Where was this man going? What had he seen and done? What terrible things…?
i have ridden rails…
More than forty years after Stephen King first wrote his breathtaking poem “The Dark Man,” Glenn Chadbourne set out to answer those questions in this World’s First Edition hardcover featuring more than 70 full-page illustrations from the talented artist behind The Secretary of Dreams.
i have slept in glaring swamps…
This Cemetery Dance Publications hardcover is a true marriage of words and art, with Chadbourne pulling the images from King’s imagination and illustrating them in magnificent detail. This incredible blending of King’s words with Chadbourne’s art creates a unique page-turning experience you can return to again and again, always finding new details hidden on every page. You’ll discover hidden layers and mysterious secrets for years to come.
i am a dark man…
So who is The Dark Man and why is he traveling the country? The answers are terrifying…
• Printed in a very limited and collectible print run — a tiny fraction of what a New York publisher normally prints for a new release
• Heavily illustrated — a story told through the blending of King’s words and the artwork
• The only trade hardcover edition planned at this time in any market
• Beautifully designed with both the collector and general reader in mind
• The first 5,000 copies of World’s First Edition, First Printing trade hardcover will be given the deluxe treatment: shrink-wrapped with a different dust jacket, a custom-made slipcase, and a collectible Glenn Chadbourne bookmark featuring a Dark Man drawing that doesn’t appear in the book.
The publication date is July 30, 2013. Be sure to click the Cemetery Dance link below for ordering info.
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Tell us where you’re going in the comments section below.