The CW Shakes Up Its Fall Schedule by Splitting Up The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural

The CW Shakes Up Its Fall ScheduleOur man Nomad just reported in from The CW Television Network's Upfront 2010, taking place today in NYC's Madison Square Garden, and along with a little bit of a schedule shift, he also provided us with some insight into the upcoming season for both "The Vampire Diaries" and "Supernatural".

First up is the new schedule for Thursday and Friday:

Thursday
8pm "The Vampire Diaries"
9pm "Nikita" (new show starring Maggie Q in the title role)

Friday
8pm "Smallville" (confirmed that this will be its last season)
9pm "Supernatural"

Not sure how I feel about them splitting up "TVD" and "Supernatural", but I guess they're doing what they can to give the "Nikita" reboot a strong lead-in. In any event, here's a brief synopsis of what we can look forward to for the denizens of Mystic Falls and the Winchesters:

• "The Vampire Diaries": The appearance of the villainous Katherine in Mystic Falls throws a wrench into the love triangle among Stefan, Elena, and Damon; and the other residents of Mystic Falls must choose sides as they fall victim to a new breed of danger. New and unexpected friendships will be forged, allies will become enemies, and hearts will be broken. Stefan and Damon will be forced to face a villain more evil and diabolical than they ever believed possible. And they’ll take their shirts off.

For more visit the official "The Vampire Diaries" site on The CW.

• "Supernatural" - Season Six will be a season of mystery and shadow. Heaven and Hell have been left in complete disarray since the apocalyptic events of Season Five. Now monsters, angels, and demons roam across a lawless and chaotic landscape. And so Dean Winchester, who has retired from hunting and sworn never to return, finds himself being pulled back into his old life – pulled back by none other than Sam Winchester, who has escaped from Hell. The two reunite to beat back the rising tide of creatures and demon-spawn, but they quickly realize that neither are who they used to be, their relationship isn’t what it used to be, and nothing is what it seems.
  • For more visit the official "Supernatural" site on The CW.

- Debi Moore

Dread Central While you're here, come check out the rest of Dread Central

Write in your diary in the Dread Central forums!

Rob's picture

To be honest I'm amazed people still watch Smallville. I got through about five seasons of that show and just gave up. Though it's nice that this show outlasted Charmed, which I still can't believe got eight fucking seasons.

Supernatural I still feel should've ended this season. I mean, the last episode just felt like a series finale and it wrapped everything up pretty good. Though Jared Padalecki as Lucifer just didn't work for me at all. I missed Mark Pellegrino the second Sam said yes.

As for VD, giving up on that. Watched this whole season and I hate it when the more interesting characters are the side ones who get ditched in favor of the three leads who are nowhere near as interesting. The story structure is also badly put together, rushed at times, and too drawn out at others. They also killed off my favorite character/actress, which may not seem like a big deal but it was pretty much the nail in the coffin.

Submitted by Rob on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 4:45pm.

Rob, you seriously didn't like Jared as Lucifer? I LOVED how they went for a war of words instead of splashy effects and explosions!

This was a personal battle for Sam, the most personal battle he's ever had and ever will have ever again. This was Lucifer and the darkness of Sam teaming to take on Sam.

It was brilliant. The whole Gollum mirror bit was excellent.
    ----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 7:15pm.
    moderator I thought Jared did a good
    Debi Moore's picture

I thought Jared did a good job as Lucifer and showed more range than we'd seen from him up to that point. I was pretty much dreading it, but he surprised me.

As for TVD, I'm shocked you don't like Somerhalder. For me, he IS the show. I almost can't believe he's the same guy who played Boone on Lost. Another one who surprised me was Kirshner as Isobel - her performance piqued my interest a bit more in the new 30 Days of Night. And I love that they just randomly kill off people although I'm really gonna miss both Pearl and Anna.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 7:09pm.
    Rob's picture

See, the randomly killing people off is what bugs me, not just the killing but at how anticlimactic it is, especially with the two you mentioned, given that they were supposed to be old, much older than Stefan and Damon, and they got killed so easily. Anna's death also since it didn't seem to make sense for David Anders to just kill her all of a sudden. It came across almost like an afterthought and so no one would really feel bad when he got butchered at the end. I do hope Malese Jow does more genre work, because that girl is a very talented actress in my books. Plus she already has a very strong fanbase based on this show alone.

And in response to you and Terminal, no, Jared as Lucifer bugged me, since he can play menacing quite well as shown when he was possessed by the Meg demon, and there were times when he was fine in the finale. But then there are times in this episode and the fourth one in season 5 where he just comes off too, I don't know if emo is the right term but it's the only one I can think of. Mark Pellegrino had that perfect balance between evil, bitter, and sympathetic, like when he killed Gabriel and the look he had afterward, it was quite a strong scene.

Submitted by Rob on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 7:49pm.
    moderator I'd love to see Jow and
    Debi Moore's picture

I'd love to see Jow and Summer Glau team up as sisters in something -- I see them both as future forces to be reckoned with in the genre.

And as for Jared -- Pellegrino did indeed have some pretty big shoes to fill, but like Terminal, I was pleased overall with his portrayal and really look forward to how the dynamics of the show shift next season.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 7:58pm.

Fair enough Rob. I thought Padalecki was excellent. I was not let down by the finale.
    ----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 7:49pm.
    Rob's picture

Yeah, the finale was good. The big confrontation scene was a well written one, but, I don't know. The ending to it was very good and Jensen on his knees where the gates of hell had closed was a powerful bit. He really sold that entire scene to me. I loved his scene in the last episode with Death also, who was bad-ass. Julian Richings stole that episode.

And WIB, I never said I didn't like Ian Somerhalder. I like all three leads, I think they're good actors, it's just the way their characters are written at times just drove me up the wall. Ian in particular I feel like they're rushing through his 'redemption' too fast so they can start building up the triangle. But that's just me.

Submitted by Rob on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 7:59pm.

Rob as much as I love "Supernatural" and I DO love it, but if it would have ended like that, I would have been very pleased. Dean had his peace with a family, Sam was stuck in between worlds due to his sacrifice. The end. Close it. God I wish that would have been it. I want Dean to live happily ever after.
    ----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 8:17pm.
    Rob's picture

I'm with you there. But of course they couldn't do that because of all the fangirls screaming for them to keep the 'pretty' on their screens. Though since we're talking about Supernatural, I feel the need to ask what was the big deal with Ruby? I could not stand that character in either version, be it Katie Cassidy or Genevieve Cortese. I kept hoping Nicki Aycox's Meg character would show up and stomp her face in.

Submitted by Rob on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 8:49pm.

The blonde chick version of Ruby was fucking hot, man. I didn't mind her at all.

A lot of people seem to hate the characters I enjoy. Bela Talbot, Ruby, Meg, and the mother and daughter hunting team, they were bad ass.
    ----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 8:55pm.
    Rob's picture

I liked Bela okay, Ellen and Jo were badass, more Ellen than Jo at first but by the end Jo impressed me. Meg was always a great villain though I preferred Nicki's performance over Rachel Miner. But I didn't think blonde Ruby was that hot. I think Katie Cassidy looks better as a brunette, cause I thought she was pretty good looking on Harper's Island, but that's just me.

Submitted by Rob on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 8:58pm.

*hot chick five!* *smack!*

Yeah, Ellen and Jo were fun characters. Their ends were very heartbreaking to watch.
    ----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 9:04pm.
    Rob's picture

Yeah it was. Jo in particular took a bit to warm up to, and I didn't think she was that good looking until this season. She's one of those actresses who looks better as she gets older. But Ellen I liked from the geto, and their acting in their last episode made the final scene a rough one to watch.

Submitted by Rob on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 9:19pm.

Jo and Ellen had the same relationship Sam and Dean do. Co-dependent, tight knit, and very passionate. It was crap seeing Jo ripped by the hell hounds like that.
    ----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 05/21/2010 - 11:12am.

Rob, you're not alone on "Smallville." I've been a hardcore Superman fan since five and I fucking hate this show with an extreme passion. I despise it. I can't believe it managed to last so long since moving to Friday granted it a huge loss in rating, but apparently was strong enough to stay on for so long.

"Supernatural" should have ended this season. If tomorrow the CW announced, "Supernatural is done, that was it," then I'll shrug and say "Good, that was a great way to end it." Like Sirand said: In my eyes that was the final episode.

----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 5:20pm.
    FireRam's picture

"VD I never even bothered with. I'm sick and tired of vampire shows. I gave up on True Blood in the middle of season one."

LOL ME too!!!!! I watched it up until the building/house exploded and Snookie thought (at first) the one vampire she did or liked or whatever was in there. You can tell I don't remember much about it. Personally,I don't get it's popularity.

----------------------------------------------------
    My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius,and I approved this message.

Submitted by FireRam on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 7:42pm.

FireRam for me it was:

Episode One - COOL! This show fucking rocks!
    Episode two - Excellent, this show is so fun!
    Episode three - Cool... that was fun.
    Episode four - Nice... that was... interesting.
    Episode five - Okay... Okay...
    Episode Six - Stay awake... stay awake...
    Episode seven - I'll watch it later...
    Episode eight - Would you like to delete program from DVR? Yes.
    ----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 7:54pm.
    FireRam's picture

LOL

----------------------------------------------------
    My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius,and I approved this message.

Submitted by FireRam on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 8:06pm.
    Rob's picture

It probably lasted so long since after it's over I'd say Tom Welling's career is pretty much fucked. Season 6 I gave up on in the premiere alone since they completely wasted the Zod angle, and I thought Michael Rosenbaum played a pretty good Zod.

I really don't think anything they do in Season 6 is going to leave as much of an impression that Season 5 did. And the move to Friday is going to be a problem.

See I actually thought True Blood Season 2 was slightly better than season 1, though the storyline with the Maenad dragged on for way too fucking long. VD I was more interested in the mythology of the town it was set in and the backstory than most of the characters. But I mean, would it kill someone to make a TV show that had JUST werewolves? Like Werewolf. And not counting that MTV Teen Wolf bullshit they're making.

Submitted by Rob on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 5:36pm.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.
    ----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 2:46pm.
    moderator Indeed. Although Friday
    Debi Moore's picture

Indeed. Although Friday Night Lights somehow manages to do okay in that dead zone so maybe Supernatural will hang in there as well. Plus, if Nikita tanks, they can always move it back.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 3:02pm.

With "Supernatural" coming to a close this year, I think this is an obvious gesture that it's about to be dead and buried, so they're not even trying to muster up great ratings for its closer.

Even though "Smallville" has continued on, it's lost a humongous chunk of its audience after the move to Friday.
    ----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 3:20pm.