A Nightmare on Elm Street: FINALLY a Good Look at Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Krueger

You know what we love? Photoshop, that's what! With it you can manipulate an image to your liking. You can sharpen images, add things, remove things, and in this case lighten an image enough so that you can see through the darkness as a means to look into the face of evil itself!

An enterprising fan over at Superhero Hype took a screen-grab, lightened it up, and came away with our best look at Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Krueger to date! Check it out below.

The Samuel Bayer directed remake stars Jackie Earle Haley, Rooney Mara, Kyle Gallner, Katie Cassidy, Thomas Dekker, Kellan Lutz, Clancy Brown, and Connie Britton and focuses on a serial child molester murdered by angry parents, who returns with a burnt face and a razor glove to terrorize teens in their dreams.

For more info visit the official A Nightmare on Elm Street website, and look for the film in theatres on April 30th, 2010.

Fear the sound of metal scraping in the Dread Central forums!

The Buz's picture

Submitted by The Buz on Sun, 04/04/2010 - 4:15am.
Cinemascribe's picture

Know what he looks like to me? Jackie Earle Haley burned alive. I'm fine with it. Re-read the paragraph above the photo. This isn't the actual image from the movie..it's a lightened up version of the image from the movie that a fan doctored. In the finished film, the scene this still is from will probably have a lot more shadow in play.

This is important because that's what made the original conception of Krueger so creepy,not the high caliber makeup effects. Has anyone looked at any of the publicity pics from the original lately? David Miller's makeup was hardly impressive. It looks like it was slopped on..it wasn't until Elm Street 2 and the arrival of Kevin Yeager that Krueger's look took on a specific quality and form. The reason he was scary in the original is that you really didn't see much of his face at all (except for some excellent shots of his eyes and that maniacal grin). Even in the scenes near the end when Nancy brought him out of the dream world, all we saw was a mass of burnt flesh..consider the close up where he comes out of the bed and threatens that he's "gonna split her in two". Full-on close up, but still no real detail to his face because it was still immersed in shadow. From every single clip I've seen, they're going the same route here. I'll reiterate what I wrote a few months back when I saw some of the earliest stills..if I saw this thing coming at me from the shadows in a closet or ethereal boiler room, it'd scare the crap out of me.

---------------
"I'm saying that I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man...and loved it. But now the dream is over..and the insect is awake." - Seth Brundle

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Sun, 04/04/2010 - 3:10am.

Im really worried about this remake. Freddy looks like shit!

Submitted by SelfMedicatedBlues13 on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 10:48pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

There's already enough negative comments. I bet the cinamatography is going to be wonderful.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 1:16pm.
kiddcapone's picture

Like I said before, is that Freddy or Fire Marshall Bill ??

Submitted by kiddcapone on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 9:43am.

You don't need a face to make a terror. I don't see why everyone is putting so much emphasis on how scary his face is to judge whether or not he'll be any good. I agree with everyone else his faced looked like pizza or spaghetti to begin with, you know why? Because beneath your skin your face looks like spaghetti covered in pink dye, add a little fire, and if you survive you'll probably end up looking a bit like Freddy. Besides that it's not the face that makes Freddy.

It has been a while since I have seen one of the A Nightmare on Elm Street, and I remember the part that was scary for me was the following.
1) Don't go to sleep
2) Run away from the freaky clawed hands
3) Run away from the guy with the mafia-styled hat

I also remember the red and black striped shirt, but his face, is the last thing I remember. I wouldn't have recalled it if I didn't see this picture. I really hope they don't show it much, because his face isn't what makes him scary. It's really those hands that freak me out, personally, because it's a very stylistic and unique part of his character, so is the hat. That's all he really needs, because you can tell he has the claws and the hat from the shadows. We know who he is from the silhouette, and that's all the movie needs to establish about Freddy and his "looks."

I'm going to watch the original movie again, but it seems like everyone is nitpicking to nitpick at something. I have to totally agree with Rob on this one as he looks more decaying and rotted in the film, and I also liked his look in Freddy vs. Jason.

Submitted by Zayzie on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 4:54am.

The way they constructed the bridge of the nose with the extra flesh covering part of the right eye makes him look cross-eyed. I don't know whether to sigh or laugh.

Submitted by AngryChairr on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 2:05am.
Chainsaw's picture

I dunno. I know he looks realistic...but what made Freddy was that his look made him iconic. This...I dunno. I'm probably going to have bigger problems with the script than I will the look. We'll see. Right now, I'm not hopeful.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Sat, 04/03/2010 - 1:45am.
moderator To be fair even though it's

To be fair even though it's a pretty good picture it's hard to judge how scary Freddy will be in this new flick. Mark my words though the scare factor will rely less on the make-up and more on Haley's performance.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 4:09pm.

Haley's a great actor, but if I'm thinking about Rorschach the entire time, that quality is lost to me. That's what his Freddy voice sounds like. Add the scenes recycled from the original, the music video look, and the shitty make-up and you've got another colossal disappointment waiting to happen.

I predict you guys will hate this one even more than the F13th Remake.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 4:57pm.

Fair point. As of now though I look at him and wonder where the noodles are.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 4:16pm.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

Well, Platnium Dunes is always about 'reality'....or as close to reality a music video can get.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 4:06pm.

I don't like it. I know they are trying to make him look more like a burn victim but that just isn't scary.

Submitted by thedarkestshadow on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 3:22pm.

Well, to be fair, was the original Freddy's makeup ever really scary?

Submitted by G.D. on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 8:09pm.
LifeMi's picture

Well, this isn't promising. I get what they're trying to do, but it kinda sucks. The skin around the eyes looks comical and his jaw looks like it's jutting out. By that logic, they should've cast Robert Z'Dar as Freddy.

Submitted by LifeMi on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 3:12pm.

I'm not thrilled with it anymore. I loved it at first, but he still looks like a meatball on a neck or something. Oh well I hope Haley delivers on the frights.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 2:46pm.
Rob's picture

Well the old Freddy looked a bit like a pizza, so that makes sense. They seem to be going with a theme where he has a face like an Italian dish.

The question is should the next one look like spaghetti or a calzone?

Submitted by Rob on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 2:51pm.

Holy shit Rob, I thought I was the only one who thought Freddy looked like Pizza. I used to look at his face and think "I can really go for a cheese pizza right now."

Maybe we'll see Rigatoni Freddy in the sequel.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 2:55pm.
Rob's picture

That works too. As long as at the climax he turns into something resembling the flying spaghetti monster, I'm perfectly fine with this.

But seriously, I never get why people bitch so much about the look since in the originals, the makeup was different in each film and sometimes it was quite horrible. Outside of the first film I actually thought he looked best in Freddy vs Jason. I think the teeth had something to do with it.

New Nightmare's look frustrated me more because of the outfit. It was a cool look but he only had the hat on in the hospital scene, which seriously bugged me. That was also the movie that showed that Wes Craven isn't good with endings. Up until the finale of New Nightmare I was enjoying it but then that finale rolled around and it was way too over the top, especially the music when everything blew up at the end. I mean, really?

As is I think this look is fine. What I found interesting in the trailer was how it looked more burned in different shots, more decayed. So either the effects aren't finished, or they're going for an idea where he becomes more and more burned and rotten as the film progresses. Guess we'll see.

Submitted by Rob on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 3:07pm.
macready's picture

he looks like one of the mezco toys. lame.

how can you look at that picture and not laugh?

Submitted by macready on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 8:30pm.