Kevin Williamson Talks Neve Campbell's Scream 4 Return

Kevin Williamson Talks Neve Campbell's Scream 4 ReturnThere's been lots of discussion about the upcoming slasher fueled return of Scream 4, but one thing that wasn't always so clear was whether or not franchise star Neve Campbell would be returning. Thankfully all the pieces have fallen into place, and now writer Kevin Williamson has spoken a bit about her return!

To have [Neve Campbell as] Sydney back – well, I was always holding out hope, because the script is about Sydney, Gale [Courteney Cox] and Dewey [David Arquette]," Williamson tells iF Magazine. "The story for SCREAM Four, Five and Six – the launching pin of that was four, which is those three characters. But I found out originally when [Campbell] declined, I had to reroute it and that put all the onus on Gale and Dewey to carry the whole story, and that was me thinking fast on my toes, but luckily, we got her, I don’t have to do that, I can do it exactly the way I wanted and the story’s going to be told the way I originally conceived it. I’ve been contracted to write four and five."

Wes Craven will direct working from a script by Kevin Williamson, and Campbell, David Arquette, and Courteney Cox Arquette will all reprise their roles along with a group of younger actors, or as we like to call them ... fresh meat.

Scream 4 Synopsis
The horror series that reignited the genre and grossed more than $500 million worldwide is back! From Kevin Williamson, creator of the original Scream trilogy, the new film sees the return of cast members Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, and David Arquette along with a group of new stars, who can all hopefully stay alive long enough to figure out the new rules to this one-of-a-kind horror franchise!

Discuss your favorite scary movie in the Dread Central forums!

Floydian Trip's picture

Serpent & The Rainbow. You keep mentioning it and now I'm gonna rent it.

Although Neve isn't an actress I'd do anything to sleep with, there are about 5 or 6 of those, I guess I wouldn't kick her out of bed.

Scream 4 shouldn't happen. The first Scream shouldn't have happened.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 6:49pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I wouldn't list it as a favorite. But as Craven films go I think it's one of his best. Hope I didn't steer you wrong.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 04/04/2010 - 10:07pm.
Vanvance1's picture

The first one had a point. The 2nd and 3rd were bloody terrible. Or in the tame case of this series, non-bloody terrible.

I cannot get excited by this. I'd rather get a sequel to Serpent and the Rainbow.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 3:27am.

"Behind the Mask" made a much better point and it was more entertaining.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 3:50am.

The only way this movie will convince me it's something new is if Sydney is killed off in the first ten minutes.

Otherwise this pretty much sounds like Williamson and Craven are still standing in place insisting "this is not your average slasher, and to prove it we're going to focus on the same damn morons we've been focusing on for four movies."

By now Sydney has run her course and if Williamson was really creative he'd begin a new arc with a new final girl while Sydney Gale and that idiot Dewey could play supporting players.

What else can they do with Sydney? We found out her mom had an affair and was killed by her lover's angry son, she was almost killed by her mother's lover's angry son's mother, and then we found out her mother's lover's angry son's friend was her long lost half brother who also wanted to kill her.

What's next? Her grandparents? Her rich uncle?

Craven really has convinced me he's been all smoke and mirrors from the very beginning.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 1:53am.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

I'm open to it. Loved the first 2.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 12:53am.
FireRam's picture

Dear Neve,
After thinking about it for quite some time I have finally come to a conclusion. Yes, you can have me.

Submitted by FireRam on Thu, 04/01/2010 - 10:22pm.

You want to see Neve in sex kitten mode? Rent "When Will I be Loved?" She goes full on vixen/femme fatale in that movie, even if it's a pretty awful flick.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 04/02/2010 - 1:57am.
The Buz's picture

Great choice of photo.

Submitted by The Buz on Thu, 04/01/2010 - 7:42pm.
macready's picture

how could a new scream trilogy be good? i mean, that third one was pretty awful.

Submitted by macready on Thu, 04/01/2010 - 8:06pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Easily. You start by getting rid of all the original characters, story and people involved and then give the movie a different name... say 'Dog Soldiers'. You make it about werewolves and... oh wait... that's a different movie!

But that is how.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 04/04/2010 - 10:09pm.