Matt Reeves Talks Cloverfield 2

One monster mash that has the horror fanbase pretty divided is the 2008 destruction-a-thon Cloverfield. Ever since the movie stomped through cinemas, there's been talk of a sequel. Finally director Matt Reeves has offered an update on the sequel's status.

In an interview with MTV at SXSW, Reeves said, "I can tell you nothing, [but] there are these spikes in activity. There are things that we keep talking about and things spike up. It very well may happen."

So there you have it, folks! Spikes in activity. Said spikes usually lead to hysteria about the world spinning off of its axis, volcanos erupting, and yes, giant monsters walking the Earth.

We can only hope.

Cause chaos in the Dread Central forums!

LifeMi's picture

I personally loved Cloverfield, but I'm not sold on the idea of a sequel yet. The only way I could see it working is if they had the military go in and fight the monster while recording it; of course, that was already done with Rec 2 so assuming they don't rip it off they'd have to go another direction. I'm categorizing this one under the "let's wait and see" section.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 7:30pm.
Rob's picture

Having watched Cloverfield again recently I'm going to have to side with Floydian on this, though I don't think it completely sucked. It had its moments, the acting was decent and the creatures were slick, but I couldn't stand any of the characters except for maybe Hud, and Marlena, of course that could be because I just love Lizzy Caplan. Between this and True Blood she should do more genre work. Also, the shaky-cam was horrible IMO, and I can watch found footage movies find like Rec and Rec 2, but this one made me nausious, even on a tv as opposed to the big screen. All in all I'll watch Outlander or Splinter over this. Not sure about the American Godzilla though. I think if I had to choose I'd go with neither and watch Godzilla vs Destroyah. Love that film.

P.S. Am I the only one who thinks Odette Yustman looks like Megan Fox done correctly?

Submitted by Rob on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 6:08pm.
Styling Shatner's picture

You're not the only one, Rob. I much prefer Odette to Megan and in fact I've said almost the same thing in the past.

As for this movie, I haven't seen it since its theatrical run 2 years ago, but I enjoyed it at the time, mainly for the gimmick and I didn't follow any of the viral marketing, which proved to be a total waste of time in hindsight.

Submitted by Styling Shatner on Mon, 03/15/2010 - 12:19am.

No it wasn't because it gave us a lot of back story on the characters and the monster and explored how futile the attempts to kill the monster had been.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/15/2010 - 1:24am.

Splinter was ok. Outlander was pretty good. Burrowers sucked.

Submitted by thedarkestshadow on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 4:50pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

The Burrowers is a western first and foremost so if you don't like westerns you won't like The Burrowers. It does the monster movie right though by not showing the creature until the end of the movie. For the most part it's about cowboys and indians complete with shootouts.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 4:56pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

The Burrowers was great. One of those movies that did it's own weird dark strange pacing thing, like Ravenous. But a totally different movie than Cloverfield and shouldn't be in a comparison.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 10:36pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Yeah, it made me think about Ravenous. I love that movie. They're not totally different, they're monster movies. You wouldn't break vampire movies down into seperate sub categories even though most of them are very different too would you. I wouldn't want to run into any of them, size doesn't matter. Althouth I'd rather be squished or eaten in one bite then be buried alive only to have the monsters come back to feed when I've liquified.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 10:47pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

Naw, if you're gonna break it down that far then the Wizard of Oz is a monster movie. And you do end up having to categorize and sub-catergorize for some comparisons. If you don't and then include the vampires from Twilight, I'll include the Magic Words and Phrases vampire from that Bugs Bunny cartoon.

If you just said better 'monster' as far as design and such I would agree that the Burrowers was better....and how they fed makes me shudder. But the movies were completely different in every other respect.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 11:08pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

OK, then I'll say that every Godzilla, King Kong and It Came From Beneath The Sea are better and more deserving of a sequel than Cloverfield but then it makes no sense 'cause Godzilla has more sequels and movies than any one person can watch in a lifetime. I'll just revert back to my original comment. Cloverfield sucks! Ha.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 11:14pm.

Cloverfield sucked!

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 2:05pm.

Wrong-o sport.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 3:15pm.
No it didn't.
Gus Bjork's picture

No it didn't.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 3:03pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I'll sit through Godzilla again before Cloverfield. At least Godzilla had something in it approximating a monster. Monsters are my favorite in horror. I'd rather see them greenlight a sequel to Splinter or Burrowers before this waste of celluloid.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 3:15pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Add Outlander to the list of recent DTV monster movies that kick ass and deserve a sequel more.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 3:33pm.

I'm going to have to kill you. *readies chainsaw*

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 3:39pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Take a number. Have you seen any one of those three movies?

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 3:42pm.

Should I have?

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 3:43pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

If you love monster movies I wouldn't want to miss them. They're all great fucking movies with kickass creature design and high production values despite being low budget. They also have great characters and top notch performances.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 3:50pm.
Okay.

Okay.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 4:05pm.
Vermithrax's picture

I have seen them all and I hardly think they constitute a giant monster movie. When I think giant monster movie I see Godzilla attacking a city or Kong fighting a T-Rex....all those monsters you mentioned were human sized or maybe a little larger. Oh, and for the record I LOVED Cloverfield and can't wait for a sequel.

Submitted by Vermithrax on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 10:16pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

But Kong and Godzilla had actual monsters in them. Clo0verfield had nothing going for it. No good acting, characters, dialogue, camera work, as mentioned before. Blair Witch had all that so even though there was nothing to see they still sold it.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 10:37pm.
LifeMi's picture

I got a question for you, FT. Did you see the Asylum's Monster?

Submitted by LifeMi on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 11:40pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Asylum as in the studio? I've never seen one of those movies and would prefer to keep it that way. That's what Foy is for.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 11:48pm.
LifeMi's picture

Well if you have seen Monster, then you would never say another bad word about Cloverfield ever again. At least in Cloverfield you do get to see the monster. That being said, however, you should avoid it as best as possible unless you want brain damage.

Submitted by LifeMi on Mon, 03/15/2010 - 12:37am.
Floydian Trip's picture

I bet. But then if you take Dracula 3000 into consideration 30 Days of Night is a masterpiece. I do love 30 Days of Night.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Mon, 03/15/2010 - 12:42am.
Floydian Trip's picture

I hope you actually intend on checking them out and are not just being sarcastic. They're all so different too watching the 3 of them back to back would be fun. One is a western, one has Vikings and the other takes place in a convenient store.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 4:09pm.
FireRam's picture

I saw SPLINTER. It was ok. I really wish there were more characters invloved to see more people getting killed off, the kill number was low. The monster was cool.I would have liked to see it tear into a few more people than it did. I would watch the sequel if one was made. I have not seen OUTLANDER, or THE BURROWERS, but both are on my Blockbuster queue and I intend on watching both.

Submitted by FireRam on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 4:37pm.

Okay is not being sarcastic, okay means okay, I'll check them out whenever I can. Though I think I did see Splinter and didn't think much of it. I appreciated the whole gooey monster breeding out of torn human limbs and whatnot, but overall not a very enjoyable experience for me.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 4:36pm.
You're fun.

You're fun.

Submitted by Terminal on Sun, 03/14/2010 - 3:17pm.