Chris Weitz Not Keen on Returning to The Twilight Saga for Breaking Dawn

Chris Weitz Not Keen on Returning to The Twilight Saga for Breaking DawnWith the DVD and Blu-ray release of The Twilight Saga: New Moon just a few short weeks away (at 12:01 AM on March 20th to be exact), its director, Chris Weitz, has been making the interview rounds, and today came word that as far the Breaking Dawn installment is concerned, he thinks someone else should probably take the job.

In a chat with MTV, Weitz also commented on both the possibility of Breaking Dawn being in 3D and whether it should be one film or two.

"I think that 3D is great so long as it's not used in a gimmicky fashion, and it can supply extraordinary depth to the visual experience," Weitz told MTV News. He further stated, "I think that it makes sense for it to be split into two parts because it's quite a dense book with a lot going on."

Now back to whether or not he's the best man for the job should Summit offer it to him. "I think I'm on record saying I have a two-and-a-half-year-old son, and each one of these movies — especially because it'd be such a long shoot as 'Breaking Dawn' — it kind of brings me to the edge of my physical and mental endurance. And I just don't believe I have it in me."

He did hedge his bets a little with an "of course I'm interested" just in case, but it looks like the fans clamoring for his return for the conclusion of the series had best start looking elsewhere.

See if you have it in you in the Dread Central forums

Chainsaw's picture

All of this makes my head hurt. Even on the satirical level. Because the next thing we know, they actually are gonna sign Cronenberg. And then, I burn down the internet...

Submitted by Chainsaw on Sun, 03/07/2010 - 2:39am.
Vanvance1's picture

I haven't read that book. Does it end with the gay vampire and the super-gay werewolf guy declaring their love for one another over the whiny lead chick's corpse?

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 8:44pm.
Rob's picture

Chud did a hilarious article about why Breaking Dawn should be made and why David Cronenberg should direct it. Warning, as this article contains many spoilers for those who don't know, or care.

And yes, nothing in that article is made up. That's what happens.

Submitted by Rob on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 6:35pm.
Morgan Elektra's picture

Well, that's not entirely accurate.

1. "Let's go over that again: Edward fucks Bella into unconsciousness." - Not true at all. The book cuts from the wedding night to the morning after. It doesn't detail the sex, but Bella remembers all of it and it does refer to her remember the night before. She is unaware he has bruised her until she awakes, however.

2. " The baby has telepathy, by the way, so everybody can read its thoughts while it's in the womb, and it turns out to have an essentially adult mind. Like Alia in Dune; I would accuse Stephenie Meyer of ripping this off, but anyone who thinks that Meyer might have read Frank Herbert has never been within spitting distance of Twilight. The woman is a moron." - Also not true. The only person who can reads Renesmee's thoughts in the womb is Edward. Once she's born she can project her thoughts into people's minds via touch. And she doesn't have an adult mind when she's born, nor even by the end of the book. She matures quickly both mentally and physically, to the age of a young child.

The rest is essentially true.

Submitted by Morgan Elektra on Sat, 03/06/2010 - 1:13am.
Rob's picture

Those corrections still don't change the vampire C-section and imprinting on a baby. Of course I think that whole imprinting thing is a load of crap, especially for creatures with wolf nature. Wolves pick their own mates and aren't just hit by Cupid's arrow or something. Plus you'd think the shapeshifters/underwerewolves would be more wary of it given how one of the girls who got imprinted on had her face nearly ripped clean off by her future husband. That's always a good start to a relationship, lol.

The other thing I want to know is if they're going to tack on some sort of fight with Michael Sheen's vampire clan in the movie or just go with the book, which from what I remember being told, was a 30 minute dialogue scene that went nowhere and then they leave, correct?

Submitted by Rob on Sat, 03/06/2010 - 2:37am.

Yeah because those corrections aren't ridiculous. :-P

Submitted by Terminal on Sat, 03/06/2010 - 2:15am.

Breaking Dawn has to happen! I'll gladly pay to see it in theaters if they stick to the book. My god how this insane garbage was ever published by someone who took it as serious literature is beyond me. Amazing.

Thanks for posting this again Rob. Some of my favorite lines:

"Like Alia in Dune; I would accuse Stephenie Meyer of ripping this off, but anyone who thinks that Meyer might have read Frank Herbert has never been within spitting distance of Twilight. The woman is a moron. "

"So one day he's going to stick his wolf dick in this girl that he see as a bloody newborn. Romance is not dead, it's just being abused by insane Mormon writers."

I should read CHUD more.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 8:09pm.
moderator It's some crazy stuff,
Debi Moore's picture

It's some crazy stuff, right? Which is probably why Summit is so gun-shy about filming it. They just need to remember that all the fans of the series know what's in store and fucking go for it!

Submitted by Debi Moore on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 7:56pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Oh fuck is that funny. After reading that letter Terminal posted from the Twilight fan accusing The Wolfman of ripping it off I bet they'd love seeing all that shit on the bigscreen. Stephanie Meyer is a fucking idiot and makes me wonder why I'm not published.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 7:18pm.

You'll get published. Just rework folklore to make it look like you invented it, insert blatant Mormon overtones and propaganda, create hollow and vapid characters, and get rabid braindead Goth girls and middle aged women to become your fan. Instant success, comrade.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 7:55pm.

Thanks Rob. Reading it now.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 6:53pm.
Rob's picture

No problem. The descriptions make me almost want to see the movie.

Even better was actor Chaske Spencer (as one of the underwerewolves), who said his top choice to direct Breaking Dawn was Rob Zombie.

Submitted by Rob on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 7:15pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

If Uwe Boll directs I'll be there.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Fri, 03/05/2010 - 6:14pm.