A Nightmare on Elm Street Trailer Hits! See Krueger in Our Stills!

The moment horror fans have been anticipating around the world has come to pass: the unveiling of the trailer for Platinum Dunes' remake of Wes Craven's classic A Nightmare on Elm Street! Get ready for your fix, Fred Heads!

Basically it's pretty much what we saw at the SDCC '09 times ten, and that's a good thing. From watching you really get the feeling that all parties concerned are doing their best to stay as faithful to the source material as possible. Also a very good thing. Ready or not, Freddy will be coming home on April 30th, 2010, courtesy of director Samuel Bayer.

To further sweeten the pot, we took a couple of stills from the trailer to save you the trouble of pausing at the right time to see Freddy's new mug. Even lightened one image a bit. Click on them to see them bigger. Dig on everything below and sound off in our comments section! We wanna hear from you! What do you think?

The New Face of Freddy Krueger (click for larger image)

The New Face of Freddy Krueger (click for larger image)

The New Face of Freddy Krueger (click for larger image)

Fear the sound of metal scraping in the Dread Central forums!

ICoNHuLK's picture

As a FAN OF ALL THE NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET Films including Freddy Vs. Jason. Also a fan of actor ROBERT ENGLUND aka 'The One and ONLY' Freddy Krueger.
I think this *new* Freddy crap is a shamble and a travesty and cannot be allowed. To destroy a great name & film. I'm here to announce a boycotting of this movie.
Everything is all wrong with casting a new Freddy? Why?
Just saw the new trailer and now even more horrified the make-up are you serious.. What a joke and it doesn't even look like Freddy? So I beg and urge others to boycott this new fake "Nightmare on Elm Street"..

Submitted by ICoNHuLK on Thu, 10/29/2009 - 9:58am.
TheFritz's picture

I agree and have called for a boycott of this travesty as well (see post from Sept 28).

Since the only thing the hacks running Hollywood understand is money then by boycotting this garbage is the only way to get them to listen and stop bastardizing great films, simply because they're from another decade.

Just look at what not patronizing crap has done for such monumental failures like RZ's H2 and the trumping of SAW by PARANORMAL ACTIVITY this weekend! It's time for fans to stand up and be heard and STOP SUPPORTING REMAKES!!!

Submitted by TheFritz on Thu, 10/29/2009 - 6:01pm.

The Nightmare on Elm Street remake is directed by Samuel Bayer (director of Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” video), written by the team of Wesley Strick and Eric Heisserer, and follows in the Platinum Dunes tradition of bringing back beloved horror icons and….doing something with them. Thus far, Platinum Dunes has had a bumpy track record with bringing these characters back. Their Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was okay, until the end when Jessica fucking Biel bests Leatherface.

Submitted by AlexanderO (not verified) on Fri, 10/02/2009 - 1:07am.
Cinemascribe's picture

I have to say that, if anything, this trailer is highly encouraging. I saw the original ANOES in 1984 at the age of 13. I've been hooked since. Coming from that perspective, I appreciate that several iconic moments were incorporated while we were treated to other images suggesting this will be anything but a carbon copy. It looks as if the cast and crew have attempted to create a film that isn't merely a teen slasher flick, but one that (like the original) plays as more of a brutal ,reality twisting ghost story.

The first time I watched this trailer, I wasn't sure about Haley's voice. Having watched it and heard his last line several times now, I'm warming up to it. The line "this won't hurt.... one..little..bit..' is actually pretty creepy under the circumstances and it hearkens directly back to the Fred Krueger who played sadistic cat and mouse games with his victims.

It doesn't hurt that Haley put his own stamp on the character. He should. Robert Englund was the original and always will be, but it's like the James Bond syndrome - you've got to move on. This is a new, extremely talented actor putting his own stamp on the role. I want to see how it plays out in it's entirety within the context of the new screenplay before I make any judgment calls. So far, it looks as if Haley really is giving a legitimate performance and not just phoning it in. Anyone else catch that post-burning Krueger's body language throughout this trailer is spot on? If I fell asleep and ended up in a weird dream with this guy staring me down, it would scare the hell out of me.

I'm still not 100% sold on the notion of Krueger being wrongly accused. The enactment of the mob violence we see at the opening is the best visualization of that incident I've seen in the series thus far, but I'm not sure how to feel about portraying Fred Krueger as an actual victim. On the one hand, one of the most horrific aspects of the original incarnation of the character is that he was pure evil even before he became a ghost..unrepentant of his hideous crimes.

On the other hand, the creepy horror classic "Candyman" featured a vicious , murdering shade who was unjustly murdered and that movie worked just fine-so there is a precedent for success with that variation on the formula. I want to see how they play the story out before assuming it will dilute Krueger's impact.

About the makeup: This is what a real burn victim looks like, folks. That's not an opinion.I've seen severely disfigured burn victims up close and the image above is a hell of a lot closer to reality than what the talented David Miller or Kevin Yagher ever gave us.

Final thoughts: The trailer has already grown on this particular fan. It teases an engaging and memorable characterization by Jackie Earl Haley and suggests an attempt has been made to give fans a classy, polished horror film with some decent scares that makes the story it's own while honoring the original. This really does feel like the preview for an Elm Street film.

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Tue, 09/29/2009 - 4:30am.
ICoNHuLK's picture

Sorry but 'No' 'Nah' Doesn't even look like Freddy... Are you serious the make-up is almost as depressing as the new casting of a new Freddy w/o Englund. Which is what we have.. He's supposed to be a 'Dead' Burnt guy not a live and well and just burned.. And you say your a fan of the old films? How can you dog the make-up artist with what they had to work with?? That doesn't make sense....

Submitted by ICoNHuLK on Thu, 10/29/2009 - 10:06am.
Spaceshark's picture

You know what would be great? If everyone laid off the caps lock. Just, really. It'd be great.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Tue, 09/29/2009 - 1:25am.
WELL SAID!

WELL SAID!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 09/29/2009 - 1:47am.
AGREED!
Rottenjesus's picture

AGREED!

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Tue, 09/29/2009 - 3:05am.
Spaceshark's picture

JOHN CONNOR IS GONNA GET IT.

Submitted by Spaceshark on Tue, 09/29/2009 - 5:47am.

STOP WHISPERING!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Wed, 09/30/2009 - 12:57am.
maikii's picture

You know what? After looking at it more, this representation of the character doesn't even deserve to have the name "Freddy Krueger" attached to it. Therefore, I'm dubbing him Walter Hambone. And honestly, I don't even know if he deserves a name THAT cool.

Submitted by maikii on Tue, 09/29/2009 - 12:31am.

Problem with horror is everyone thinks its a sub-par genre so they can shit all over it. That and kids now at days don't go to see horror to be scared, they go see it on Friday to kill time. If a remake is done, fans either want an exact copy of the original film( But why bother, its been done once) or are pissed its an huge departure from the original(Then it really could have been made into an original idea). It really comes down to Hollywood just being a blatant money making machine. It used to be kind of hidden because certain directors valued good acting, mood, etc. Now with shit like Transformers 2 its a bold caps cash in. When it comes down to it, Trick 'R Treat will always be set back in favor of remake of JHorror movie #57.

As for the trailer, looks slick as hell, and the whole did Freddy do it? thing is going to be a resounding yes answer. "No I'm innocent. And to prove it, I will murder your kids with a giant knife hand." Not quite a cry for retribution.

Submitted by ItsATrick-GetAnAxe on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 11:12pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

FUCK. REMAKES.

Seriously, PD hasn't done justice to the originals by their shitty as hell remakes and they never will.

How can two different studios fuck up three classic 80s horror icons? Oh yeah, by hiring MEDIOCRE WRITERS AND DIRECTORS WHO DON'T KNOW ONE BLOODY THING ABOUT THE GENRE!

HATCHET & WRONG TURN 2 are recent examples of slasher films that are fun as hell and are made by people who understand what works.

Whatever. Fuck Platinum Dunes, fuck this shit and fuck the people who made the crappy as fuck Friday the 13th movie a box office smash.

FUCK REMAKES! FUCK 'EM!

(This has been a possessed by the Zomwonder post)

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 8:32pm.
ICoNHuLK's picture

Great to meet someone that sees the B.S. Going on around this dump...

Submitted by ICoNHuLK on Thu, 10/29/2009 - 10:10am.
AriesofPitt's picture

I was into it. I really was. The trailer wasn't too bad and I have hope for the entire movie. Then I blew up the still of Freddie. WTF.......are you kidding me? UGH

Submitted by AriesofPitt on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 8:20pm.
Tshoffie's picture

LOL after looking at the picture of freddy again...does anyone else think his face looks somewhat like the old preacher guy from Poltergiest 2...im have expecting Freddy to sing God is in his holy Temple LOL

Submitted by Tshoffie on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 7:54pm.
nonserviam03's picture

I figured out why he sounds so off.

You know when you're imitating someone's voice, but you're kind of making fun of them? That's what he sounds like.

Submitted by nonserviam03 on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 7:46pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Tue, 09/29/2009 - 11:54pm.
Tshoffie's picture

One other thing...i hope one day someone comes and Remakes Gone with the wind wizard of oz and Casablanca and truly trashes those films...im tired of horror classics being Trashed in the name of the almighty dollar...of course hollywood would never allow anyone to Remake those movies...im sorry but this really pisses me off

Submitted by Tshoffie on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 7:46pm.
Tshoffie's picture

utter Shit...i Think Michael bay made it his goal to trash as many classic films as he could in the span of a couple years and he has succeeded in doing so...This Trailer looks like Shit Freddy looks like shit and his voice is not scary nor right for the role.I hope Michael bay chokes on some 35mm film stock and never recovers...fuck you Bay

Submitted by Tshoffie on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 7:36pm.
kiddcapone's picture

Freddy looks like Fire Marshall Bill wearing a hat.

The bar has been set so low with the Friday the 13th and Halloween remakes, this can't possibly be WORSE, can it ??? My money is on a perfect Trifecta of shit.

Submitted by kiddcapone on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 6:51pm.

Ehhh, that trailer did nothing for me either. I'm assuming they didn't have the fans in mind when they made this considering that many scenes were lifted entirely from the original.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 5:39pm.
maikii's picture

Well... this looks like garbage, as expected. Pretty, unrealistic teenagers, ultra clean and flashy cinematography taken right from an MTV music video, and a "Freddy" that sounds like Colonel Sanders and looks like a turtle/scarecrow hybrid. Good job, Platinum Dunes, you must really respect the classics.

Submitted by maikii on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 5:28pm.
The Buz's picture

Yup. He looks like Martin Short in Clifford.

Submitted by The Buz on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 4:04pm.

I have to disagree good sir... My Steven Tyler appears to trump your Martin Short: http://www.superiorpics.com/wenn_album/Steven_Tyler_-_Losing_Mother/stev...

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 09/29/2009 - 1:54am.
Rottenjesus's picture

Oh look it's another PLATINUM DUNES remake! I wonder if any good horror movies are opening that same weekend?

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 4:03pm.
Emilie Noetzel's picture

The makeup does not bother me as much as the voice.

The voice seems so off.

The makeup, well, after seeing burn victims on TV, it seems to be believable for now. Maybe seeing more of it will show it as bad or good. We'll see.

Maybe this movie will have be seen as a "sneaky-sneak".

Submitted by Emilie Noetzel on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 3:56pm.
nonserviam03's picture

You know... the only thing that I thought might be interesting is Jackie Earl Haley's performance as Freddy, but after that trailer, and hearing him speak and seeing that makeup... I'm really not liking what I'm seeing. What the hell is wrong with his voice in that clip? It sounds terrible, and as someone said earlier, he looks like the fucking grinch. Usually platinum dunes movies at least look good from the trailer, but not this time.

Come to think of it, I liked everything else that was going on in the trailer besides for Krueger himself. The one big problem though is I think they might be borrowing from the original a bit too much. I mean, that shot of the claws in the tub looked EXACTLY like the original. If they use moments like that SPARINGLY then it could be a really nice change of pace (as opposed to Friday the 13th), but if those are all over the place then it will not turn out good.

Submitted by nonserviam03 on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 3:37pm.
Sirand's picture

Freddy looks like The Grinch.

Submitted by Sirand on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 2:21pm.
TheFritz's picture

BOYCOTT THIS GARBAGE!!!

This is an absolute travesty of cinema in every possible way! Endorsing this tripe is the same thing as telling Hollywood to come into your house and steal everything you own so they can continue to finance giant frigging turds like this!!!

I'm done trying to figure out Michael Bay's obsession with the obliteration of all things film pre-2000, especially when the mindless sheep keep filling the theaters for his dribble. So I'm taking a stand and putting out an open call to any self respecting horror fan to stand with me AGAINST THIS KIND OF SHAMEFUL WASTE OF MONEY AND BOYCOTT THIS FILM!!!

I have only one thing to say to any fan that is excited about or endorses this film:

SHAME ON YOU!!!

Submitted by TheFritz on Mon, 09/28/2009 - 2:02pm.