Next Tomb Raider Game Will Be Survival Horror
Buxom video game archaeologist Lara Croft is one of the most recognizable faces in all of gaming, and the Tomb Raider franchise, like any ongoing series, has endured its own share of ups and downs. In an effort to keep things fresh, US-based developer Crystal Dynamics is looking to throw Lady Croft into her most dangerous adventure yet – fighting for her survival against an army of vicious creatures!
This past weekend, Four Player Co-Op got a red-hot exclusive from someone deep inside of Crystal Dynamics who leaked all sorts of interesting tidbits about the next Tomb Raider game. And while the folks at Four Player have since removed all of the leaked screenshots, the general project description remains: …the new Tomb Raider will be, wait for it, open world. Looks like the combat system has been completely revamped and that the story is starting over from Jumpstreet. I have no idea what the story is with the clawed... things... but, out of everything, they excite me the most.
Other details since omitted (but still available courtesy of Tomb News) are as follows:
When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows.
With only her determination, inner strength, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past.
As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.
- Hunt or Be Hunted: Evade, outsmart, trick and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.
- Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend yourself as you fight to survive through visceral one-on-one melee combat.
- Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns, and the hunter's ultimate weapon, the bow.
- Creative Survival: React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat game play options.
- Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump: There is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.
- One Cohesive World: The diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather, and natural events.
- Origin Story: The new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island's mysterious past.
Lastly, sneak a pic at the overhauled, younger Lara below. It’s pretty badass!
While I dug the last few Tomb Raider games, they were running the risk of growing stale with the endless stream of puzzles and woefully outdated combat (10-12 shots to kill anything). I like this prospect so far, as long as you’ll eventually get to wield those dual pistols, a characteristic so intrinsic of Lara! Lastly, keep the boobs the way they are! No need to mess with the part that wasn't broken!
Got news? Click here to submit it!
Raid Lara's tomb in the Dread Central forums!