Happy Anniversary to The Blair Witch Project

On this day exactly ten years ago, a movie dropped that would forever change the face of independent film. Love it or hate it, The Blair Witch Project stands proudly as a sterling example that anyone with the right equipment, a boatload of passion, and a bitchin' idea can make a great film outside of Hollywood.

What a ride this flick had, huh? Sadly, it seems en vogue now to hate the movie, but back in the day most fans (myself included) just couldn't get enough of the story, the books, the film, and the brilliant mythology that had been put into place.

For all those involved -- from directors Eduardo Sanchez and Daniel Myrick to talented collaborators like Ben Rock and Neal Fredericks and everyone in-between -- we here at Dread Central would like to take a moment to say thanks not only for the scares but for giving fans everywhere a new reason to be afraid of the dark.

Tell us what you think, and share your Blair Witch memories both good and bad below!

The Blair Witch Project

Be part of the project in the Dread Central forums!

kiddcapone's picture

The MOST overrated horror movie since the beginning of time.

Submitted by kiddcapone on Wed, 07/15/2009 - 7:47pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

Wow. 10 years old. The Blair Witch Project is such an amazing movie to me in so many ways. Just a brilliant idea in the "Why didn't I think of that?" realm. I vividly remember everything about it from the marketing to the great documentaries to seeing the movie in theatres for the first time. I didn't bring my then wife to the theatre with me because I didn't know how the movie was going to turn out but I didn't tell her anything about it. I waited til it hit DVD to start telling her about this amazing true story that she had to see and I showed her one of the docs first to deepen the impact and she totally bought it and was scared shitless by the movie. It is the best time I've ever had showing someone else a horror movie. Having watched it recently I can say it still holds up after all that time.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Wed, 07/15/2009 - 12:33pm.
MagusMaleficus's picture

Oh yeah, I remember seeing it in a shitty little theater in Weston, WV. I went alone, but there was a sizable crowd in attendance. I knew the movie wasn't a real documentary, but it still unnerved the shit out of me. When the movie ended, I went outside, sat on the sidewalk, and just stared into the distance for a bit. When I got my wits back, I noticed there were two or three others doing the same thing. There are far too few films in movie history capable of that kind of power.

Submitted by MagusMaleficus on Wed, 07/15/2009 - 9:25am.

It seems like only yesterday I dragged my friends to go see this movie with me. It was very telling of the movie that none of them liked it as much as I did. They kept saying that we should have seen the 6th Sense instead. I loved both movies so much...too bad the squeal to the Blair Witch sucked. :(

I'm going to watch the movie today to see if it still holds up. I really can't believe it's been 10 years!!!

Submitted by Deadite32 on Wed, 07/15/2009 - 6:54am.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

In my area (upstate New York) I was one of the few people knew this movie wasn't "real". I had tons of friends that insisted it was a real documentary. Such was the brilliance of the marketing. Personally I thought the movie was amazing in all aspects.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 9:01pm.

it still creeps me out a little when i see someone standing with their face in the corner.

Submitted by jadecrowe on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 8:45pm.
Sirand's picture

After watching that early teaser, I was obsessed with the film in the months leading up to its release...and it sure as hell didn't disappoint. I remember seeing it in a small art-house theater, pre-hype, with a friend who thought it was real. He actually went into shock after the screening (took me an hour to convince him it was fictionalized before he calmed down).

No matter how many people decry this flick, it's held up as a masterpiece of horror with amazing performances and one of the scariest mythologies ever created for film.

Submitted by Sirand on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 8:45pm.
moderator I remember all the hoopla
Debi Moore's picture

I remember all the hoopla when it premiered at the Landmark theatre in Hillcrest -- people were freaking out! Screaming and crying and talking about nothing else for days. Unfortunately, I didn't see it with a crowd but at home on video, and it didn't have nearly the impact. Truthfully, I enjoy the companion documentaries a little more than the film, but I do have a soft spot for it because of its brilliant marketing campaign. People who didn't live through it just can't understand since viral marketing is so popular now and has lost so much of its novelty & effectiveness.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 8:32pm.
moderator Fucking ten years later and

Fucking ten years later and those trailers STILL make me want to watch the movie!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Tue, 07/14/2009 - 8:29pm.