FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> The Lady in the Water
PowerLeech
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:31 am  Reply with quote

Miss Wormwood wrote:
I just saw it. It's like 105 degrees here in the shade so for the A.C. alone Lady gets one star. Otherwise, it's pure shit. I like Shyamy's movies for the most part. Signs and Unbreakable weren't my cup of tea but at least they had stories you could follow. I'm one of the handful of people who actually liked The Village enough to see it twice and buy it on DVD. I was expecting to like this a lot. But it really is just shit.

He's tried to claim this is a fairy tale but it's really two hours of him metaphorically sniffing his own dirty underwear and breathing real deep. He seems to love the smell of his own damn self but most other people won't. I've read about how he bailed from Disney after the execs told him his script was incomprehensible, but he really should've listened. The monster ego that led him to flee constructive criticism is on full display in this boring, unbelievable and self-important movie. He casts himself as a writer who will one day change the world. I'm sure all writers secretly think that about themselves but to build an overlong, snail-paced paean to the fact is pretty fucking lame.

That's a bummer. I'm hoping the fact that Signs and Unbreakable are my two favorite movies of his means I'll feel a bit different about this.
Samhain
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:38 am  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

This is getting the worst collection of reviews for a major motion picture in recent memory.

...and the commercial with the kid whispering just gets on my fucking nerves!!!!!
Samhain
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:20 pm  Reply with quote
Glory Hole

Well, I just got back from seeing it, and while the premise and situations are pretty far fetched (wait, let me say faaaaaaaaaaaaaar fetched), it's actually quite enjoyable.
Yeah, Shymalalalalalalala seems to be reeeeeeeeeeeeeally stretching with this one, but really it's a harmless, fun flick.
Sonny
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:12 pm  Reply with quote

I liked it, I think if this wasn't a Shyamalan film people wouldn't have a problem with it. I've loved his movies (Unbreakable being my favorite) and I certainly thought this one was much more interesting and different than anything else that has come out of Hollywood this Summer.

The mythology is completely wacky, but I don't mind it, he's got a crazy imaginiation and I can dig it. I'm not really sure why the critics are ripping it apart like they are (maybe cause of the critic in the movie) but it's really not that bad at all. They're overreacting like crazy.

It's a fairy tale set in modern times. That's it....if you can get past the narfs, scrunts, or your grown up ideals and just kinda be a silly, joyful little kid again, you might find the movie kind of enchanting.

The Scrunt is a BADASS by the way. Very cool.
Miss Wormwood
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Sonny wrote:
I think if this wasn't a Shyamalan film people wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think if it wasn't a Shyamalan film most people wouldn't even give it the time of day. It definintely doesn't belong in wide release in summer blockbuster season. This is a thinky little art house movie and I can completely understand that some people dig that. I dig that vibe too in a lot of movies, just not in this one.

Quote:
It's a fairy tale set in modern times. That's it....if you can get past the narfs, scrunts, or your grown up ideals and just kinda be a silly, joyful little kid again, you might find the movie kind of enchanting.

*Possible spoilers*

I remember movies I liked when I was a silly, joyful little kid. None of them were this slow and weighted with self-importance. It sucked out any silliness or joy when he repeatedly stopped the already snail-paced plot dead in its tracks to take the audience out of the story and tell them what they're supposed to be looking at ("in a horror movie, the character would react this way. So, I'm now going to react that way.")

I also had a big problem with the Asian mother. Real fucking genius to have your entire plot hinge on little bits of information dribbled out by the same character with no motivation whatsoever except more exposition is needed. This, mind you, is the same guy who gave us The Sixth Sense, which never once spelled shit out for you the way he does here. It's like he's so wrapped up in getting us to the point of the story, which is that he's a writer who's going to change the world posthumously after his critics are ripped apart by wild beasts, that he just says to hell with creative storytelling.

It's not enough to create your own world, you have to reveal it in layers with techniques that hold the audience's interest. The exposition here is revealed with all the subtlety and finesse of a Dick and Jane reader. I think that's why I'm so irritated with this movie, and why I'm wasting another 20 minutes posting about it yet again. Because he's so fucking good at telling a story and here, he throws it all out the window in order to shove his ego trip down our throats. I've got no problem with the ego trip--the problem I have is that he's so fucking boring about it. Tarantino, to name one example, shines his ass in all his films but he's a master of entertaining the hell out of you while he does it. It's unforgivable to be self important and boring.
Fake Shemp
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

I thought this was one of his best movies. Yes, it's a bedtime story and while it may be far fetched, I wasn't going into it thinking it was going to be realistic. I thought that the storytelling was great, and Paul Giamatti deserves a nomination for carrying this film. One of the best movies I've seen this year.
Tobe Romero
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

excerpt form Rex Reed's review:

Quote:
As vacation time nears, it is safe to say that no matter how rotten things get on the big screen during the rest of the summer, the worst of it is over. Hollywood cannot pollute the ozone with anything more idiotic, contrived, amateurish or sub-mental than Lady in the Water. This piece of pretentious, paralyzing twaddle is the latest in a series of head-scratchers by the incompetent, self-delusional M. Night Shyamalan. Heís the writer, producer and director, and terrible at all three, but if that isnít bad enough, this time he has even gone one further and cast himself in one of the roles. I am here to tell you he is about as camera-ready as the corpse that Tommy Lee Jones dragged across the cactus in Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. In a war of wits, brains, imagination and talent, Mr. Shyamalan would be defenseless.

the rest @ http://www.observer.com/20060724/20060724_Rex_Reed_culture_rexreed.asp

Rex, why don't you say what you really mean?

Laughing
Miss Wormwood
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Rex's review can't beat my favorite, from the user comments on imdb:

Quote:
This movie was a steaming bowl of sucktacular suckballs that were picked from the suck tree in the suck orchard.