FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Out of Genre Experience -> An Inconvenient Truth
Finnegan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:12 am  Reply with quote

Despite the past issues involving Al Gore, I really admired this film when I came out of it. I think that the issues it deals with are real and present, and the fact that the majority of the United States (as well as other major industrialized, developed countries) do not recognize it as a present danger adds to the effect.

I never liked Al Gore, or Bush for that matter, but seeing this film and the amount of work he puts by himself to bringing about awareness of global warming is really awe inspiring. However, I would have rather read the book. On a film level, the movie is pretty dry. Lots of talking and information, and it feels kind of like you're in the lecture he's giving instead of watching a documentary film.

What'd you all think? Did anyone see it?
gprime
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:24 am  Reply with quote

Haven't seen it, and I have not intention of doing so, since I see my share of liberal lies when I view Michael Moore's garbage.
brainee
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:42 am  Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Despite the past issues involving Al Gore, I really admired this film when I came out of it. I think that the issues it deals with are real and present, and the fact that the majority of the United States (as well as other major industrialized, developed countries) do not recognize it as a present danger adds to the effect.

I never liked Al Gore, or Bush for that matter, but seeing this film and the amount of work he puts by himself to bringing about awareness of global warming is really awe inspiring. However, I would have rather read the book. On a film level, the movie is pretty dry. Lots of talking and information, and it feels kind of like you're in the lecture he's giving instead of watching a documentary film.

What'd you all think? Did anyone see it?

I saw it recently. I think your absolutely right about the lecture bit. In fact, that's what it pretty much is ... mostly his lecture on film. Though it's still a good movie to be made since many more people have access to this than seeing Gore do his lecture live. I agree with the idea that if Gore had shown this much personality while campaigning he might've won. It was unfortunate he included that bit about the Florida election controversy. I didn't see where it fit into the global warming theme -- and it turns you off Gore's message for a bit (and maybe for the rest of the movie if you're a die-hard Republican).

Gore does give a compelling presentation. It's a shame that the only people likely to give this a chance are the people who came into the movie siding with Gore on this issue anyway (with gprime's response not surprising from the right). Because earth science shouldn't be a Democratic or Republican issue -- it just is, and its up to scientists to study and try to understand it. And an important point brought up in the movie is the idea that there's a controversy about global warming -- when in fact real scientists are 100% that its a real phenomena (kind of the evolution "controversy"). Some things that seem open to debate are 1) how bad are the effects of global warming going to be, 2) how fast will it happen, 3) what's the best way to deal with it. I don't pretend to be an expert, and know that Gore has a political agenda. But there's enough there (in terms of real science, not politics) to warrant concern.
Finnegan
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:50 am  Reply with quote

gprime wrote:
Haven't seen it, and I have not intention of doing so, since I see my share of liberal lies when I view Michael Moore's garbage.

A have a friend who shares similar views, however, though this film is portrayed in the media as a "left wing critique of society" it is far from that. It is not as if Al Gore or Davis Guggenheim used information and interviews to put a spin on the information in a way that the audience would be convinced of a specific point of view...which is the aim of most documentary films. This is why I had a problem with it. The media is calling it a documentary film when it really does not have the aim of achieving what documentary films aim to achieve, which is convincing an audience of a specific point of view.

Rather, this film aims and bringing awareness of a global issue. Like the poster above me noted, global warming should not be a political issue. It should not fall into the realm of "republican" or "democratic" issues, it should be a wide concern of humanity because we are the ones, who as a majority, benefit or lose out as a consequence of our own actions.

In conclusion, I really believe that you should first see the film before dismissing it as a "liberal critique" of society. This kind of dismissal is unfair to film makers of all sorts, documentary films or not.
Borgosi
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:42 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't seen it but I do want to. It isn't playing near me, but I would pay to see this if I could. As a lifelong member of the GOP, it is issues like this and the GOP spin on it that has cause me to cross party lines when voting. Who knows by the time the next election roles around I my be a part of a different party.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:35 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I really wanna catch it and keep hearing about how important and eye-opening it is.

Of course, since it's Al Gore talking, people act like this is some political agenda. Go figure.
~IC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

I liked it. It played at our indie theatre for 4 weeks.