FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Preacher
The Buz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:15 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Anyone else a fan of this? It has to be one of the best comics I've ever laid my hands on. Arseface is one of the most ingeinus things I've ever heard of. And the guy fucking talks to John Wayne! That's even better than True Romance talking to Elvis.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:23 am  Reply with quote

I love it. One of my favorite books ever. I just recently reread the whole thing and it still packs all the punch it did the first time I read it.
The Buz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:07 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm only on Gone to Texas, and I cannot fucking wait to continue. It's such a great idea. When is this thing being made into a movie? And wasn't HBO thinking about a television show?
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:46 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
I'm only on Gone to Texas, and I cannot fucking wait to continue. It's such a great idea. When is this thing being made into a movie? And wasn't HBO thinking about a television show?
I would love a TV show. I haven't heard anything about one though. I've been hearing lots of stuff about a movie for years and years but, I'm still waiting. Who knows if it'll ever happen.

Only on Gone To Texas? Oh, you have so much to come that you will just love. You will laugh and you will cringe. You'll openly weep and you'll cheer. Don't neglect the specials either. Cassidy: Blood and Whiskey is cool and the Saint of Killers series is awesome. Then there's, of course, The Story of You Know Who, Arseface's special issue. God damn! I love Preacher. Thumbs Up
EvilRex
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

I could go on and on about Preacher. The entire series works on so many levels. Still by far my all time favorite Comics series.

It's got a great story about relationships (especiallay the one between God and his Creations) and friendships. It's got at least 1-2 piss-my-pants hillarious quotes per issue and shocking levels of violence and brutality.

Since you're still on the first arc, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into. Hold on tight through "All in the Family" and get set for "War in the Sun" done the road. Things go in directions you won't expect.

Have fun!
The Buz
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:13 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I'm reading it again just because my comic shop hasnt been restocked yet. Gah this is fucking awesome.
Messiahman
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:

David Chase (creator of The Sopranos) is considering it as his next television project. That news alone very nearly sends me into orgasmic fits of joy.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

David Chase (creator of The Sopranos) is considering it as his next television project. That news alone very nearly sends me into orgasmic fits of joy.
Neutral Shocked Embarassed Cool
*goes to change underpants*
philo beddoe
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:21 am  Reply with quote

It's the best comic series I have ever read in my life, easily. I love the "All in the Family" storyline alot. A good friend gave me issues 1- 15 as a wedding gift several years ago. The series is worth every penny to buy every issue or trade paperback.

The only other comic that comes close to me anxiously waiting every month to read is The Walking Dead.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:46 am  Reply with quote

Messiahman wrote:
Atomic_Ilk wrote:

Even though David Chase is almost like the Midas of cable television, I still have an anxiety attack when I think about them adapting Preacher to the big/small screen.

I love Preacher. It fucking rocks. IMHO, hands down the best ever non-superhero comic series to date. However, it's not for everybody. The majority of America will never-ever get it and I'm afraid a film version will end up being dumbed down or lightened up or the a true version will have all involved virtually burned at the stake that it will never get far enough off the ground.
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:02 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Count me in on the "best comic I've ever read" list.

I've never gone through a comic faster in my life. If they make a series, I hope they don't change a word.
The Buz
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:08 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Just finished Until the End of the World.

Holy shit. Jody is one evil eviill mother fucker.

I almost shat myself when the Word didn't work.
conundrum
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:19 am  Reply with quote

...this is not still around, is it?! I remember it from back in the day but definitely thought it was over. Are there any graphic novels or collections, does anyone know?

A good comic, but seriously not the best I have ever read.
LivingDeadPunk
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:58 am  Reply with quote

conundrum wrote:
...this is not still around, is it?! I remember it from back in the day but definitely thought it was over. Are there any graphic novels or collections, does anyone know?

A good comic, but seriously not the best I have ever read.
Then you haven't read enough of it. The whole series can be pick up in trades now. You should look for them. Thumbs Up

Atomic_Ilk, Until the End of the World is one powerful grouping of issues, huh? There's some stuff in there that just hits you like a boot to the face.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:01 am  Reply with quote

Atomic_Ilk wrote:
Just finished Until the End of the World.

Holy shit. Jody is one evil eviill mother fucker.

I almost shat myself when the Word didn't work.

Oh,... Jody. The most sadisitic motherfucker you can ever dream of being related to. The best part for me about that arc was now knowing how Jesse, a preacher, can kick some fucking ass. Look who he learned it from!

And then the classic line, "Then came the day T.C. fucked a chicken."

Check out "Proud Americans" (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on the title) it's the trade collection of all the One-Shots including a hillarious one-shot of Jody and T.C. called "Good Ole Boys". It's a riot from beginning to end.