FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Rated Ex -> Censorship By Proxy
feral cat
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:46 pm  Reply with quote

Censorship By Proxy ... article by ISOYM contributer Proteus who works for a DVD chain but is getting told he can't get certain DVD in.

Kind of weak as these same titles are available through many mainstream outlets.
gprime
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:45 pm  Reply with quote

Doesn't matter at all. With the internet, the only thing which hinders your ability to pick up a title you want is the custom offices of your country.
M Sinistrari
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Location: New Mexico, where aliens vacation and Chupacabra's everywhere.

Reading that reminded me of an event during my Blockbuster days.

We'd do special orders through Baker & Taylor though while there was a specific procedure for ordering through the system, none of the stores followed it instead just calling B & T and giving the store's account number.

Movies still arrived same ol' same ol' and get recieved the proper way.

Well, as we all know certain films BBV doesn't carry...and one of our major regulars wanted the Faces of Death box set.

We looked in the catalog and there it was so we ordered it. After all, this wasn't going to go out on the floor once the box of orders came in.

Naturally it came in when the jerk of a store manager was recieving tapes and promptly shit a brick. I was there stuck running a register and just commented that Mr. So and So ordered it so I'll call him to let him know it's in.

Store manager goes off on me on how dare we order this...etc... and I tell him to just calm down and we'll just recieve it under one of the generic prices that's the set's cost and it's all cool.

I get a threat to be written up and he calls the District Manager about this.

Her reply was it was okay since it's a regular customer and to just recieve it under a generic price and it'll be fine just don't make a habit of it.

It's not often I see a grown man pout and stomp around like a child told he couldn't have pie for breakfast.
Amaya
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:17 am  Reply with quote

as a fellow ex employee of BBV.. can you really say you were suprised by the manager? hell, mine ended up in the psych ward.. i mean literally...
Tony Saint
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Do tell. And don't be upset if I smile a little at the story.

I should have asked John Schwartz, the creator of the series, about video chains when I brought him to SWT University a few years ago (back when it was called SWT). He was cool. I mentioned media manipulation and reality TV to him over the phone, and he made that "60 Minutes" style of creative editing into part of his show!

The mondo guys basically invented reality TV...for better or worse...mostly for worse.

Chain stores suck. That casual acceptance of censorship has irked me since I tried getting an unrated "Re-Animator" from a Blockbuster. Horrible fucking places.

Hear the "Killer Nerd" remix at Wayne Alan Harold and Toby Radloff's Lurid Entertainment!