David Cronenberg’s psychological thriller Crash with James Spader and Holly Hutner hits Blu-ray and DVD via The Criterion Collection on December 1st.
Cinematographer Peter Suschitzky supervised the new 4K restoration and Phil Hale designed the new cover art, which you can check out below with special features.
- Audio commentary by writer-director David Cronenberg from 1997
- 1996 Cannes Film Festival press conference with writer-director David Cronenberg, author J.G. Ballard, producers Robert Lantos and Jeremy Thomas, and actors James Spader, Holly Hutner, Elias Koteas, Deborah Kara Unger, and Rosanna Arquette
- Q&A with writer-director David Cronenberg and author J.G. Ballard at London’s National Film Theatre in 1996
- Behind-the-scenes footage and press interviews from 1996
- Booklet featuring an essay by film critic Jessica Kiang
Written and directed by David Cronenberg (The Fly, The Dead Zone) based on the novel by J.G. Ballard, the film stars James Spader, Holly Hutner, Elias Koteas, Deborah Kara Unger, and Rosanna Arquette and tells the tale of a traffic collision involving a disaffected commercial producer and an enigmatic doctor that brings them together in a crucible of blood and broken glass—and it’s not long before they are all initiated into a kinky, death-obsessed underworld of sadomasochistic car-crash fetishists for whom twisted metal and scar tissue are the ultimate turn-ons.