I was lucky enough to participate in a set visit for The Purge Season 2 in New Orleans a couple of weeks back. When you attend set visits, you have to sign a lot of confidentiality agreements and embargos are set on how much information can be revealed on specific dates. It’s all part of the professional experience, but secret-keeping is tough—especially when the potential news is exciting!
I’ve gotten the green light to reveal some aspects of my visit to the set of The Purge Season 2, which kicks off on USA on October 15th. Stay tuned in the coming days and weeks for interviews with the cast and crew, but to kick things off, I thought I’d start with a list of the Top 5 reasons to get excited about The Purge Season 2.
Based on the hit movie franchise, The Purge revolves around a 12-hour period when all crime, including murder, is legal. Season 2 explores how a single Purge night affects the lives of four interconnected characters over the course of the ensuing year, all inevitably leading up to the next Purge. Hailing from Blumhouse Television and UCP, this season of the anthology series opens on Purge night but dives deeper than ever before into what the Purge world looks like the other 364 days of the year.
- The Purge Season 2 is Set Over the Course of a Year: The story arch takes viewers from one Purge night to the next. It’s a huge shift for a franchise that has, until now, unfolded in 12-to-24-hour chapters. This means we’ll have a lot of time to really get to know these characters, as well as the ongoing psychological impact of Purge night and participating in The Purge.
- Worldbuilding: Our past looks at the world of The Purge have been limited by time, leaving huge information gaps. For example: How do the New Founding Fathers enforce the rules of Purge Night, and how strict are the laws? Who are the people who work for the New Founding Fathers year-round, and how do they justify the role they play in the pandemonium? These issues and more are explored in The Purge Season 2, resulting in a more concrete understanding of the franchise’s world and mythologies.
- The Mystery: Not only is Season 2 framed by two Purge nights, there’s a mystery viewers get to sink their teeth into. Of course, everything is Purge related, but the who-done-it elements play out like a gritty procedural. Not only does this put more meat on the bone, it really encourages tv-watchers to stretch their brain cells as seemingly random events are revealed to have massive significance.
- Gigi Saul Guerrero: Gigi Saul Guerrero is poised for superstardom. Expect her first feature-length directorial debut, Culture Shock, to adorn many “Best Horror Movies of 2019” lists. More recently, Guerrero signed a First-Look deal with Blumhouse and it was just announced that she’ll be helming a major motion picture for Screen Gems (a horror movie steeped in Santa Muerte mythologies). Guerrero directs an episode of The Purge, and we know she’ll be bringing her same uncompromising spirit to Season 2.
- I’m in the Finale: That’s right, I didn’t just cover The Purge Season 2 from behind the camera, I snagged a non-speaking role in the finale! While I can’t give you a shred of context, I can tell you it was an absolutely fantastic experience for me—and I can’t wait for you all to check me out on the small screen in December!
Check out the trailer for The Purge Season 2 below.
Are you a fan of The Purge movies and/or Season 1 of the TV series? Are you excited to check out The Purge Season 2 beginning October 15th? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram! You can also carry on the convo with me personally on Twitter @josh_millican.