For months we’ve been hearing that Fox was planning one last hurrah for the Alien franchise before their merger goes into effect and it officially becomes the property of Disney. There were rumors of a live-action TV series on a streaming network, but the actuality is probably something fans weren’t expecting. We’re getting an R rated (yay!) animated (huh?) web series. The Observer broke the news:
Sources tell us that an R-rated animated series based on the video game Alien: Isolation is being developed for a seven-episode run. The series apparently hails from Axis Animation, which also did the VFX work on the game, and could arrive as early as April. We’re told the digital series may make its home on the Alien website, though that remains unknown at this time.
For the uninitiated, here’s the gist of the video game Alien: Isolation:
- Discover the true meaning of fear in Alien: Isolation, a survival horror set in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger.
- Fifteen years after the events of Alien, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, Amanda enters a desperate battle for survival, on a mission to unravel the truth behind her mother’s disappearance.
- As Amanda, you will navigate through an increasingly volatile world as you find yourself confronted on all sides by a panicked, desperate population and an unpredictable, ruthless Alien.
- Overcome an ever-present deadly threat – Experience persistent fear as a truly dynamic and reactive Alien uses its senses to hunt you down and respond to your every move.
- Improvise to survive – Hack systems, scavenge for vital resources and craft items to deal with each situation. Will you evade your enemies, distract them or face them head on?