We learned back in mid-March that MTV is rebooting its “Scream” series with a fresh storyline and new characters; and today, thanks to TVLine, we have a few more details to share.
Per the site, which previously announced that Brett Matthews (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Supernatural”) will serve as the series’ new showrunner with Queen Latifah, Shakim Conpere, and Yaneley Arty also joining as executive producers for Flavor Unit Entertainment, we can look forward to meeting:
- Dion, a Michael B. Jordan-esque football player on track to score a college scholarship — that is, until a masked killer uses Dion’s darkest secrets against him, turning his life upside down and making him question his own sanity.
- Liv, Dion’s cheerleader girlfriend, as beautiful as she is brilliant. She’s also down to lend a helping hand where needed, though her good intentions often land her in hot water.
- Kym, the rebellious one of the group, always willing to say what everyone else is thinking. She’s organized and protective, two qualities that will serve her well when a killer starts targeting her friends.
- Beth, who is a little different from her fellow seniors, sporting a Goth look and a morbid collection of interests. A “walking encyclopedia of all things horror,” she’s compared to The Craft‘s Fairuza Balk.
- Jamal, Dion’s step-brother. Despite hanging out with a rough crowd, he’s got a big heart and an undying loyalty to Dion.
MTV is stressing diverse casting for “Scream’s” third season: Dion and Jamal are both black, while actresses of diverse backgrounds will be considered for the roles of Liv and Kym.
In addition to the new behind-the-scenes team mentioned above, Dimension TV’s Harvey and Bob Weinstein remain executive producers along with Wes Craven, Tony DiSanto, Liz Gateley, Marianne Maddalena, and Cathy Konrad.
Stay tuned for more as it comes on the upcoming six-episode “Scream” Season 3.