More Directors Added to Fear Itself Lineup

Fear Itself gets some new namesHorror. That’s what it’s all about. So why the hell would the people behind the upcoming anthology series Fear Itself decide that the guy who remade The Fog deserves another shot at scaring us? In my opinion he should be relegated to romantic comedies and movies about kids dancing their way up from the slums for the rest of his career.

But when was the last time Hollywood listened to me? Exactly. So Rupert Wainwright was one of the new names added to the Fear Itself roster, along with John Dahl (Joy Ride), which I have no particular issue with. I guess we have to take the good with the bad because a lineup that includes Larry Fessenden, John Landis, Stuart Gordon, Darren Bousman and Mary Harron is only slightly offset by names like Ronny Yu (Freddy Vs. Jason) and Breck Eisner (Creature From the Black Lagoon redux).

In addition to this somewhat sad bit of news, STYD just did a story with some new casting and plot details for a few of the episodes, so be sure to check it out. Fear Itself premieres on NBC this June 5th with Stuart Gordon’s “Eater” kicking things off.

- Johnny Butane

Discuss who you want making your fear in the Dread Central forums!

Chainsaw's picture

G.D., I have heard your words, and considered it, and no.

Submitted by Chainsaw on Mon, 05/05/2008 - 8:31pm.

Are they still calling it "Fear Itself"? I hope it's at least better written than "Masters of Horror." I won't be watching, sadly.

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 05/05/2008 - 2:46pm.
Messiahman's picture

Also, Ronny Yu's got one hell of a sense of style.

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 05/05/2008 - 1:26pm.
Messiahman's picture

Well, at least this news is made better by the fact that they got the great John Dahl. In addition to JOY RIDE, he also did RED ROCK WEST and THE LAST SEDUCTION, two of the absolute best films of the nineties. The guy knows atmosphere. Can't wait to see what he brings to the table.

Submitted by Messiahman on Mon, 05/05/2008 - 1:19pm.
Blockbuster's picture

Well Butane, I also think that Ghostbusters is the GREATEST MOVIE EVER. ;-) ...Not to mention the fact that I love the Friday and Nightmare movies as some of my faves. Couple that in with the fact that I know NOTHING about style, other than I likes what I likes, and there ya go!

Submitted by Blockbuster on Mon, 05/05/2008 - 12:23pm.
Johnny Butane's picture

I actually do care about it, I'm interested to see how it does... and Blockbuster? Don't worry, I accepted long ago that I'm in the minority for the FVJ hate.

Submitted by Johnny Butane on Mon, 05/05/2008 - 12:18pm.

Oh wow, I missed some shit. I only scanned his imdb and noticed the music video page.

He also did Stigmata? Crappy movie, but if I remember it, it had a decent stylized look. I don't know. I don't care either way. If the shows are good, good, if they suck, oh well.

Submitted by G.D. on Mon, 05/05/2008 - 11:17am.

I don't have much of a problem with it. I mean, can we say for sure that The Fog sucked because of the first time director more than because they hired the doofus who wrote 'The Core' to do the script, or the fact that it was a studio-mandated PG-13 movie?

How about we put out the pitchforks and give the guy another chance? Especially since he's being added to a TV show that most of us have low expectations for anyways. It's not like the guy is being tapped to direct some big-budget, much-anticipated movie, or another "sacreligious" remake. It's just a summer series that nobody cares about.

Submitted by G.D. on Mon, 05/05/2008 - 11:13am.
Blockbuster's picture

Fine. I'll say it. I *heart* Freddy Vs. Jason. I LOVED IT. There I said it.

Submitted by Blockbuster on Mon, 05/05/2008 - 10:41am.
Chainsaw's picture

"Yes, I have a question for Mr. Wainwright. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Submitted by Chainsaw on Mon, 05/05/2008 - 7:49am.