Dinner for Fiends: Cool Story Bro!

Dinner for Fiends: Cool Story Bro!Going into this edition of Dinner for Fiends, we were all thinking there wouldn’t be much territory to cover. Turns out there was actually much more to talk about than we expected. Of course all conversations were sandwiched between the usual nonsense.

On the menu today... The Possession, The Apparition, V/H/S, Cosmopolis, Total Recall, Juan of the Dead, Detention, YellowBrickRoad, Premium Rush, The Oogieloves, and the misadventures of a mystery movie shopper, just to name a few of topics we discuss.

Now the bad news… You ever been working on something and just get the sense that the vibe is all wrong? That’s how we were throughout this entire recording. By the end we were all convinced that this episode is going to go down in history as one of the worst ever. Buz was in a bad mood from the beginning and just seemed to be trolling the rest of us at times. Matt Fini was his usual mellow self though still quite bitter about the space baby. Andrew Kasch actually managed to stick around for most of the show but had little to contribute a lot of the time since he hadn’t seen anything but the newest Cronenberg flick that isn’t even horror. Me, I just wanted my money back from Uncle Creepy after he talked me into seeing The Apparition: better believe that got contentious.

So in addition to the sniping and bad mojo, there were also numerous technical issues (most of which have probably been edited out) and an overwhelming sense the whole show was going down in flames like the Hindenburg. Because we were so sure this Dinner for Fiends came out bad, I’m convinced it’s going to be one that you the listeners end up enjoying immensely. It just seems to work out that way.

Enjoy! Hopefully. And don't worry, we know this one sucked so we're recording another this week to make up for it! Sorry for the delay. It's as if all the forces in the universe conspired to not bring you guys this show. But here it is... for better or worse.

• Click here to download or just listen to the latest DFF as an MP3!
  • Click here to listen to Dinner for Fiends on your computer!
  • Click here to subscribe to the Dinner for Fiends podcast!
  • (non-iTunes)
  • Click here to subscribe to the Dinner for Fiends podcast! (iTunes)
  • VISIT THE EVILSHOP @ AMAZON!
    Eat up in the comments section below!

James Coker's picture

you know what...I actually dug half the stories in V/H/S . . . dont get me wrong I loathed the wraparound. absolutely nothing redeemable about those characters. Ti West's Second Honeymoon was Painfully boring and I cant find the right negative words to say about the skype one.

on the other hand I really liked Amateur night, 10/31/98 and yes...Tuesday the 17th! I really dug too. for starters THAT WASNT A GHOST! it was some vhs static glitchy weird supernatural teleporting killer thing. he's even called "the glitch" in the ending credits. plus for young people get killed in the woods movie the death scenes were surprisely gruesome.

so altogether...V/H/S to me was. . . half n half

Submitted by James Coker on Fri, 09/28/2012 - 12:30am.
    Rottenjesus's picture

I give this DFF two and a half Terminals. The half-Terminal is for all that horrible stuff you said about the most excellent Total Recall remake that clearly will be better than that one he hates so much.

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Thu, 09/27/2012 - 8:52pm.
    nazo's picture

I put the episode on, ate some popcorn, and it ended. Two and a half stars!

Submitted by nazo on Thu, 09/27/2012 - 9:09pm.
    Fearless_Froude's picture

V/H/S at least it wasn't a sequel or remake and had some good ideas but they were poorly executed. Plus there hasn't been a found footage film like this that has a wrap around story arc. But we can all agree that this was better then The Devil Inisde? (sorry, creepy on a fourth viewing of the film I can see the poor choices that were conducted in that film)

Submitted by Fearless_Froude on Thu, 09/27/2012 - 11:10am.
    Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

Finally, you lazy dicks! ;)

Seriously, I love listening to you chew the fat, I could listen to a new one every day of the week.

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Tue, 09/25/2012 - 4:56am.
    moderator So wait... this show didnt

So wait... this show didnt suck? The wonders never cease!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Tue, 09/25/2012 - 1:53am.
    LifeMi's picture

I actually really dug this DFF; it's been a while since a DFF has made me laugh so fucking hard. Can't wait for the next one.

Submitted by LifeMi on Tue, 09/25/2012 - 12:49am.
    Matt Serafini's picture

Likewise, I'm glad others out there aren't digging on VHS either.

I am at an absolute loss to understand how anyone could enthusiastically champion that thing.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Mon, 09/24/2012 - 9:38pm.
    Diavolo's picture

The only realy positive thing I can say about VHS is at least they came up with fairly decent reasons to explain why the events were being filmed. However, any good will is severely curtailed by the wraparound story that failed for me both visually and narratively.

By the way, can anyone explain what was going on at the end of 'THE STRANGE THING THAT HAPPENED TO EMILY WHEN SHE WAS YOUNG' (Skype segment) 'cos I'm at a loss! I haven't been that bewildered since 'EVIDENCE'.

Submitted by Diavolo on Tue, 09/25/2012 - 7:26am.
    MagusMaleficus's picture

The creepy kids weren't ghosts but rather aliens forcing (I assume--maybe he was happily cooperating) this guy to aid in retrieving human/alien hybrid infants from the bodies of women impregnated (again, I assume) early in their lives. The object in the first girl's arm that she tried cutting out was an implant used by the aliens to track her. The girl you see him talking to at the end of the segment is the next test subject.

Submitted by MagusMaleficus on Thu, 09/27/2012 - 10:48am.

Another film that collapsed under the weight of hype. I agree with Creepy though, the first and last stories were pretty damn good. I actually thought that that one girl was supposed to be a succubus instead of a vampire.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Mon, 09/24/2012 - 10:15pm.
    Matt Serafini's picture

You're probably right.

I can be thick-headed and miss some pretty obvious stuff sometimes.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Tue, 09/25/2012 - 8:45am.
    nazo's picture

I may just be a glutton for punishment, but I enjoyed listening to this one. I actually wish I had listened to it before subjecting myself to V/H/S. I don't know how that movie has received so many positive reviews. I usually avoid movies like Piranha 3DD and The Devil Inside, so that's probably the worst horror movie I've seen this year. Also, I liked House Of The Devil, but between his short in V/H/S and The Innkeepers, it seems like Ti West only knows one note, and is becoming more and more self-indulgent.

Juan of the Dead is great, I'm glad Buz brought it up, and this podcast has almost convinced me to see The Possession when it hits DVD. I hope I won't be writing any angry comments about that :/

Submitted by nazo on Mon, 09/24/2012 - 8:20pm.
    moderator I hope you guys like this

I hope you guys like this one. Or sort of do. But if you hate it too, that's cool. We're not big fans of this episode either.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Mon, 09/24/2012 - 6:45pm.
    Genrewriter's picture

Wow, that was quite the episode. Wouldn't call it the worst though, nothing that damned entertaining can be called 'worst'.

Submitted by Genrewriter on Mon, 09/24/2012 - 6:16pm.