Don't Be Afraid of the Dark Remake Shooting in May

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark Remake Filming in May.Anyone who has ever seen the stellar slice of TV horror from back in the day known as Don't be Afraid of the Dark knows what a scary flick it was. Those little cone-headed bastards haunted my nightmares forever! As with all good horror flicks lately a remake is never far away. Lucky for us this one is in really good hands.

Bloody Disgusting got word tonight that the Don't Be Afraid of the Dark remake is set to start lensing for Miramax Pictures in May down in Austrailia.

The film is being produced by Guillermo del Toro from a script he co-wrote with Matthew Robbins, and Troy Nixey will be at the director's helm.

Early Synopsis
"Trapped in a hidden basement, the vicious supernatural occupants of a mysterious Victorian mansion hunger for new victims. Newly arrived at the house, only 8-year-old Sally Hurst realizes the nature of the menace. Now, if only the adults around her would."

I don't know if swapping out the main woman in peril with an eight-year-old is such a hot idea, but we shall see. Expect more soon!

CHECK OUT DREAD CENTRAL’S NEW POSTER STORE!
Be afraid in the Dread Central forums!

Avid Fan's picture

Troy Nixey, being an excellent illustrator and writer and now film maker should give this a very interesting look and original feel. Look at the trailer for Latchkey's Lament.

Submitted by Avid Fan on Tue, 03/17/2009 - 2:21pm.
Nomad's picture

I wrote a script a long time ago where the woman in the house was a pill popper so everyone ignores her talking about the things in the house as she continually gets attacked. I also made the lil monsters lizard like with big wide white eyes and making little ticking noises to see in the black.

Submitted by Nomad on Tue, 03/17/2009 - 12:44pm.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

Hmmm...should we complain about this remake since Guillermo del Toro is producing and writing the script?

Hmmm...

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Tue, 03/17/2009 - 6:15am.
moderator Dude, I can complain about

Dude, I can complain about any remake, but I think the story here is this film is laregly and unfortunately unknown to most. If anything maybe the release of this would finally get the original out on a real DVD which I'm all for.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Tue, 03/17/2009 - 1:18pm.
The Unknown Murderer's picture

I didn't perceive a complaint on your part at all! However, I was daring anyone to complain. See, I believe del Toro is doing this the right way in that he's chosen a film so obscure that I don't recall ever hearing of it before, and this surprises me considering the positive comments here regarding the original. Now I want to track it down. I mean, this project points out that no one should hate remakes in general.

Submitted by The Unknown Murderer on Tue, 03/17/2009 - 7:29pm.

Why on earth isn't this out on DVD? It's a cult classic, and I think has enough of a following to warrant it. For that matter, why isn't it ever shown on late night cable? There are so many classic made-for-tv horror flicks from the 70's and early 80's- how about "Bad Ronald"? Hell, I'd even like to see "The Intruder Within" again.

Submitted by xfoley8 on Tue, 03/17/2009 - 4:17pm.