Originally released back in 1982, director J.S. Cardone’s The Slayer quickly found itself falling foul of the UK’s infamous “Video Nasties” legislation, the result of which was a lack of any fully uncut release until the turn of the millennium.
But oh, how times have changed! Aficionados of all things ’80s slasher should get excited right about now, because the UK’s Arrow Video will finally raise The Slayer from the ashes of obscurity with a stunning new 4K transfer on August 21.
In celebration of the imminent release of this feature-packed Blu-ray/DVD combo set, here’s a suitably bloody clip to get those juices flowing!
Written by J.S. Cardone and Bill Ewing, The Slayer stars Sarah Kendall, Frederick Flynn, Carol Kottenbrook and Alan McRae.
Two young couples set off to a secluded island for what promises to be a restful retreat. But the peace is short-lived: as a storm batters the island, troubled artist Kay begins to sense that a malevolent presence is here with them, stalking them at every turn. Is she losing her mind, or are her childhood nightmares of a demonic assailant coming to terrifying life?
Special features on this director-approved restoration include:
- Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original camera negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Original Mono Audio (Uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio Commentary with writer/director J.S. Cardone, actress Carol Kottenbrook and executive in charge of production Eric Weston, moderated by Ewan Cant
- Audio Commentary with The Hysteria Continues
- Isolated Score Selections and Audio Interview with Composer Robert Folk
- Nightmare Island: The Making of The Slayer – documentary featuring interviews with J.S. Cardone, Carol Kottenbrook, Eric Weston, producer William Ewing, director of photography Karen Grossman, camera operator/2nd Unit DOP/still photographer Arledge Armenaki, special creature and make-up effects ceator Robert Short and Slayer performer Carl Kraines
- Return to Tybee: The Locations of The Slayer – featurette revisiting the shooting locations on Tybee Island, Georgia
- The Tybee Post Theater Experience – join the audience of the Tybee Post Theater (one of the film’s key locations) for this very special home-town screening of The Slayer! Includes event introduction, feature-length audience reaction track and post screening Q&A with Arledge Armenaki and Ewan Cant
- Still Gallery
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new liner notes by writer Lee Gambin