Although it’s not an official adaptation, the upcoming game Distrust from developer Cheerdealers is so strongly inspired by John Carpenter’s classic 1982 movie The Thing that fans are likely to fall in love with it.
Like the film (which was itself an adaptation of John W. Campbell, Jr.’s novella Who Goes There?), Distrust finds a small number of people stranded deep in the freezing Arctic, who slowly begin to lose control of their sanity as they realize that some members of their group may or may not actually be parasitic aliens in disguise.
Distrust will be played from a top-down isometric viewpoint, with 15 unique playable characters and a ton of randomly generated levels spread across the huge Arctic research station. Alawar Entertainment will publish the full game on Steam on 23 August, and if you’d like to give it a go before then, a demo is available on the store page.
A helicopter crash left a group of explorers stranded near an Arctic base. As they try to find a way back, all they are doing is sinking deeper into a nightmare scenario. When they sleep, they attract a terrifying force that sucks the life out of their bodies, but the longer they battle exhaustion and stay awake, the less likely they are to survive…
As the survivors try to sleep just enough to stave off fatigue without dying, they slowly go mad and eventually reach the point where they can no longer trust their senses. In time, they can’t even tell the difference between reality and a hallucination.
- Inspired by John Carpenter’s The Thing.
- Guide the survivors through a randomly generated Arctic base, overcome the severe climate, and fight the unfathomable!
- Gameplay involving an extreme climate
- Randomly generated levels
- Tons of quests, game events, and plot twists
- Altered perception of reality: you cannot trust what you see
- One-Eye I had the game on the venerable Commodore64 and it was shit. I could just never figure out how to play it and I got killed every time.
- The One and Only One you might've missed was PREDATOR Vs. MAGNUS:ROBOT FIGHTER from 1993 that Dark Horse did with Valiant Comics. Fun two issue mini having Magnus fight a Predator in the Mile Spires of the 41st...
- Jason Pankoke RIP the "Hollywood" R/Greenberg. He went to school and taught at the University of Illinois where I live before moving to NYC and starting his first design firm. I have a souvenir book of an exhibit...
- virgo02 I really liked the movie when it came out and I still do. I just watched it the other day. I still can't believe they took away the sibling part of the movie. That too me made it more suspenseful. The...
- Nick Greeley Nice clickbait. It’s OLD news that H20 started as a passion project for her, but everything fell apart when Carpenter and Hill didn’t come back, and Moustapha Akkad refused to let the writers kill...
Join the Box of Dread Mailing List
Rob Zombie’s New 3 FROM HELL Image Wants to “Free Baby”
#Brainwaves Episode 92: Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead Talk THE ENDLESS and More! Listen NOW!
Rest in Peace: Director and Title Designer Richard Alan Greenberg Passes Away at 71
Popcorn Frights 2018: World Premiere of First English-Language Cuban Horror Film Leads the First Wave
Marketing Magic: John McTiernan’s PREDATOR
Bill Skarsgard on Stephen King’s IT: CHAPTER 2’s Adult Cast
Hollywood Science Fiction Museum Founder Arrested on Child Pornography Charges
5 Zombie Films That Flipped The Script
Gender Bashing: Manly Spectacle in PREDATOR
New Stephen King Movie TRAPPED Announced by Richard Chizmar
Exclusive: This PREACHER Clip Ramps up the Spice!
E3 2018: BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL 2 Giving the Fans a Chance to Create
HEREDITARY – Interview with Writer-Director Ari Aster and the Cast
THE MIMIC – Exclusive Clip Introduces Us to The Girl
Dinosaurs Make Lousy Organ Donors in the TRIASSIC WORLD Trailer
Editorials6 days ago
Let’s Explain the Ending to HEREDITARY
News3 days ago
Remember CASTLEVANIA II: SIMON’S QUEST’s Controversial Nintendo Power Cover?
News5 days ago
FRIDAY THE 13TH Meets MEAN GIRLS in FAT CAMP MASSACRE
News5 days ago
Jamie Lee Curtis Did HALLOWEEN: H20 For the Paycheck
News6 days ago
Netflix Steps in to #SaveLUCIFER
News3 days ago
Rob Zombie Says “Sh*t Gets Crazy!” in 3 FROM HELL
News4 days ago
RKSS’ Nostalgia Thriller SUMMER OF ’84 Lands Summer of ’18 Release Date
News6 days ago
Trailer: Lemmy, Ron Jeremy, and Steve-O Star in SUNSET SOCIETY