One of my favorite parts of the Blair Witch franchise was all the mythos and supplements left for fans. Something told me after last night’s surprise screening of Blair Witch (review) that there had to be something… ANYTHING… hidden somewhere. I then went back to the original The Woods trailer (the faux title of Blair Witch for those of you not playing along), and YES, I think I found something.
Say what you want about the Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, it did a good job leaving easter eggs for fans to find. Case in point: The Secret of Esrever.
What was that, you ask; allow to me point you to BlairWitchProBoards:
Before we go any further, ‘Esrever’ is ‘reverse’ said (spelled) backwards. In Blair Witch 2 the secret was actually a phrase put together by the following moments…
The words which form the message are found next to the character of Erica – Remember, her quest was to commune with Elly. The phrase begins with “Seek me no further or” …
- The campfire’s flames in front of Erica have the word “Seek.”
- The ground next to Erica has the word “me.”
- The window behind Erica has the word “no.”
- The headstone reads “Treacle” in reference to the last name of a little girl who drowned in August 1825, but then changes to the word “further.”
- The RUG pattern under Erica has the word “or”
- After these words are seen, the character of Tristen does in fact speak this sentence in reverse: “the children will again walk free.”
Combined we get “Seek me no further or the children will again walk free,” and that is The Secret of Esrever.
On to The Woods teaser trailer…
At exactly 1:24 seconds in, something is CLEARLY whispered in reverse. A nod to Esrever perhaps?
Listen for yourself.
Immediately I called Ben Rock, the man responsible for the infamous stickman and director of the TV special “The Burkittsville 7.” He ran the entire trailer in reverse, and here’s what we came up with…
LISTEN HERE to The Woods trailer in reverse. The whisper is at the very beginning… LISTEN HERE to the isolated whisper from The Woods trailer.What do you hear? Is there something weird? Let us know!
The cool part? Even if you noticed the reverse whisper at 1:24 of The Woods, you wouldn’t have thought anything of it. But for fans… it could be a nod and one that makes us feel all warm and spooky inside.
For shits and giggles, we even reversed all the audio for the official Blair Witch trailer!
LISTEN HERE to the Blair Witch trailer in reverse. Oddly enough… in reverse it sounds as if the woman singing is saying, “I Shall Be Back” for the duration of the trailer.
Hear anything? Let us know!
- Blair Witch Early Review from the 2016 San Diego Comic-Con
- #SDCC16: The Woods Is Actually Lionsgate’s Secret Blair Witch Sequel
- #SDCC16: Blair Witch Poster and Trailer Bring the Franchise Back to Life
- #SDCC16: Blair Witch Premiere Coverage – WATCH THE Q&A NOW!
Written by Simon Barrett and directed by Adam Wingard, Blair Witch stars James Allen McCune, Callie Hernandez, Brandon Scott, Valorie Curry, Corbin Reid, and Wes Robinson. Roy Lee (The Ring, The Grudge, The Strangers, It), Steven Schneider (Paranormal Activity, Insidious), Keith Calder, and Jessica Wu (You’re Next, The Guest) produce.
A group of college students venture into the Black Hills Forest in Maryland to uncover the mysteries surrounding the disappearance of James’ sister who many believe is connected to the legend of the Blair Witch. At first the group is hopeful, especially when a pair of locals offer to act as guides through the dark and winding woods, but as the endless night wears on, the group is visited by a menacing presence. Slowly, they begin to realize the legend is all too real and more sinister than they could have imagined.