FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> "The Rising" and "City of the Dead" by B
moogy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:15 am  Reply with quote

The Rising is pheomenal! It's not your typical zombie story. It's sequel "City of the Dead" is not as good, but still a great read.

http://www.myspace.com/8729307
HorrorLibraryNet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:39 am  Reply with quote

I'd never read any Brian Keene until after I returned from the World Horror Convention 2006. My group and I met Mr. Keene, who happens to be an all around awesome guy, and I bought a couple of his books.

Yeah, I have to say..."The Rising" really blew me away. It totaly adds something new to the zombie genre, while still standing next to the classic formula. I also purchased and read "The Conqueror Worms" another book that I think is destined to be a cult classic for years to come.

I'm going to be doing a double-review of these books in sort of a "Keene-vs-Keene" format for our July issue over at The Horror Library. So, if you're interested in checking it out...visit the site after the first of the month!

In case you didn't know, "The Rising" and it's sequel are slated to be made into movies in the near future. Keene is absolutely on the rise, and it couldn't happen to a cooler guy.

HorrorLibrary.Net
CuttingBlock.Net
myspace.com/horror_library_net
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:21 am  Reply with quote

Loved The Rising and City of the Dead. I also really liked Conqueror Worms, but I did find the 2nd half to be the better.

I have Terminal, but haven't read it yet.

There are other stories, if I'm not mistaken, that are in Keene's zombie world. I just can't think of them right now.
Tony Saint
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:35 am  Reply with quote

I liked "The Rising," but I'm still not so sure about zombie pets. It had some good characters, though, and I like Keene's writing style. I have "Conqueror Worms" and "City of the Dead" ready to go.

Hear the "Killer Nerd" remix at Wayne Alan Harold and Toby Radloff's Lurid Entertainment!
Lunablix
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:30 am  Reply with quote
Little Fucker

I have both "The Rising" and "City of the Dead" I liked the first one better. But they were both pretty good. I liked his take on zombies. I would like to see how the movies compare to the books.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:31 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

I've said it before and I'll say it again; while Rising and Worms were a lot of fun, Terminal is the book that showcases just how good Keene is at creating beliveable, sympathetic characters. I recommend you all read that one before anything else.

I'm on his latest small-press book, The Rutting Season, right now and so far I'm digging; very small story so far, one main character, and some very strange shit going on in the woods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cwalker28
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

Keene is one of my favorites. I've read "The Rising", "City of the Dead", "The Conqueror Worms" and I just finished "Fear of Gravity" which is a collection of his short stories. "Fear of Gravity" was phenomonal, I would definetly recommend it. One of the stories is sort of a pre-quel to "The Rutting Season" which I need to pick up.
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:39 am  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

The Rutting Season actually references all sorts of other Keene stories so far, and I'm only just over 100 pages into it. I kinda dig that he's setup his very own universe where all his stories can connect, even if it's only at the most basic level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hopefully LEISURE will pick that up for next year.
DoNNie DaRKo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:43 pm  Reply with quote

i had never read a book more than once until i read both The Rising and City of the Dead... i absolutely love them and have become 2 of my favorite books. I liked Terminal as well though a little light on the horror side.. and im currently in the middle of Conqueror Worms and loving it so far. I also met Keene at a Waldenbooks appearance last year and Yes.. he is an absolutely awesome guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:55 am  Reply with quote

Did you know that if you say Keene's name 5 times in a mirror, he shows up behind you holding a hook.

Really, where is Keene ? He should be along anytime now.
Tony Saint
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:18 am  Reply with quote

He's probably writing something that will make money, instead of chatting it up with us. I could learn a thing or two from him.

Hear the "Killer Nerd" remix at Wayne Alan Harold and Toby Radloff's Lurid Entertainment!
HorrorBob
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:58 am  Reply with quote

I love all Keene's shit. Hell I'm quoted on the back of most of his books. Terminal is one of his best books. But I really dug "The Conqueror Worms" more. I tried to get my hands on "Take the Long Way Home" which is his new book, but it sold out in 8 hours, and some people want over 200 bucks for it. He has a slew of books coming out in paper back though in the next few years, so eventually all his work will become available.
HorrorBob
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:59 am  Reply with quote

Aaron2010 wrote:
Did you know that if you say Keene's name 5 times in a mirror, he shows up behind you holding a hook.

Really, where is Keene ? He should be along anytime now.

He's busy touring the country promoting "The Conqueror Worms", He does stop by on his message board and let's everyone know what's going on.
Aaron2010
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah I know. He did a speaking engagement at a church just on the other side of town....No shit.