FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> DOCTOR WHO
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:19 am  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Since the one on the other board is down, here's the new one.

I'll start it off with my "review" of the last episode:

LOVE & MONSTERS

This is probably the weakest yet this season...and that includes the very weak "The Idiot's Lantern."

Story: A bunch of people, including Elton - this story is told from his point of view - who have seen the Doctor in the past (coincidentally...only the David Tennant version, although they allude to the "many Doctors through out time") get together in a "support group"...until the group is invaded by a man who claims to help them find the Doctor, but turns out to be an alien (whooooo! s-s-scary)

Ugh...where to begin...

This is a basic rip off of "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" from the X-Files.

We hardly see the Doctor and (thankfully) Rose, but when we do, Rose is her usual Spice Girl wanna be, cockney Chav self.

("You upset my muvva. Noboddie upsets my muvvah.")

This epsiode continues this season's trend of:

1. Nothing but a bunch of running around in the early part of the episode, and then a rushed finale and the Doctor ends up saving the day EXTREMELY easily.

2. Supporting characters being killed off, and no one even bats an eye or cares.

The alien...a big fatty that absorbs people was based on a Blue Peter TV contest winner, and was designed by a little kid... and it shows. Badly.

One of the WORST monsters/villians ever...and I include that for the whole span of the show - classic series included.

NME's gonna hate it, because there's a lot of Jackie, Rose's mother, acting like a complete English slut.

That apple definitely doesn't fall far from the whore... now we know why Rose is such a slut.

BUT, as I said, it's really lite on appearances from Rose, so that was always a plus.

The story was goofy, stupid - BUT managed to actually have literally one minute of heartache in it regarding the revelation of Elton and his mother's fate.

Other than that, I couldn't wait for it to end, and I was actually looking forward to the "next episode" preview (which also looks incredibly retarded).
Marduk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:34 am  Reply with quote

The good news is that Genesis of the Daleks finally made it to dvd.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:16 am  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Marduk wrote:
The good news is that Genesis of the Daleks finally made it to dvd.

Yup! I picked that up along with Revelation of the Daleks.
Michelle Lee
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:11 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Johnny and I just watched Love & Monsters last night and though it's not especially intriguing as far as establishing any long term plot points or anything (other than the popular Torchwood mention) it was pretty fun as a stand alone episode.

I loved the Loony Toons bit and I really enjoyed seeing Jackie get more depth and she was looking pretty fine in this episode too, though I wouldn't necessarily call her a whore since they elaborated on her behavior shortly thereafter.

As for being an X-Files riff, they riffed all the way down to the theme music, which I thought was hilarious. Even more hilarious was the Fat Bastard creature. The episode is certainly making fun of itself and its "inspirations".

It's definitely an oddball, quickie exposition episode and I have to say Idiot's Lantern was far less enjoyable and Jackie deserved an episode kind of to herself like this one. The blatant goofball attitude of this episode alone make it worthwhile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johnny Butane
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:24 pm  Reply with quote
Elf Fluffer

It was a fun one, and I have to say I enjoyed it just because I really dig the concept of a whole group of people who see the Doctor as this mythical figure and are fascinated by anything that has to do with him. Like she said, it was nice to see Jackie given a bit more to do, as well.

It was a lot more "fun" than anything else, that's for sure, but also drove home even further the (almost heavy-handed at this point) theme that the Doctor causes pain wherever he goes, but also insprires people to be more than they thouh possible.

I hope Davies has a master plan for this season, becuase I'm not seeing how the finale will work out, but then I didn't see last season's coming, either, and that one impressed the hell out of me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
plagiarize
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:05 pm  Reply with quote
Verbal Kaleidoscope/Dread Central Staff

i really enjoyed it Smile

i've written pages on the matter on outpost gallifrey's forums (which were imploding) so i'll keep this brief.

like it or loathe it, it's great to see a show still trying new and different things in its 28th season.

i've been rewatching this season this week, and i've got to say that having a better appreciation of the tenth doctor's character has actually made those earlier episodes a bit more enjoyable.

i think davies has a master plan for this season based on what i've heard about the end of it, and based on what i suspect (that i've been seeing even more subtle hints of throughout the season as i rewatch it)... and who knows, it could be like season one where watching it knowing how it ends kind of reshapes the way you appreciate the season.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:46 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I'm very happy that so many people are getting into the seasons.

I hope you guys are watching the classic series, too. Wink
Kevin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Johnny Butane wrote:
I hope Davies has a master plan for this season, becuase I'm not seeing how the finale will work out, but then I didn't see last season's coming, either, and that one impressed the hell out of me.

I'm sure he won't disappoint. I try to avoid spoilers whenever possible, but I stumbled into one by accident which can only mean he's planning something big for the season finale.
plagiarize
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:57 pm  Reply with quote
Verbal Kaleidoscope/Dread Central Staff

thedudeabides wrote:
I'm very happy that so many people are getting into the seasons.

I hope you guys are watching the classic series, too. Wink

hah, last month we went to a US branch of UNIT anniversary party and met John Levene (Sgt Benton), Nick Leeson (voice of K9) and Mike Tucker (model FX whizz and novel author).

I lent some classic who to Johnny and Girlcreeture, but I don't think they've had any time yet to watch it.

As for that big spoiler people stumbled on... me too. Bloody hard not to stumble on it, and i really wish I hadn't. Still, I'm keeping it from the missus.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:53 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Yeah, I mean, who knew Rose was Davros this whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Razz
Marduk
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

I can't wait for that "Spoiler" to happen... I just hope the Doctor's character doen't suffer from it... The last thing I want to see is a cautious, emo Doctor in the third season.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:22 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Yeah, that's my worry too.
rip13
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

Ah wasnt that the Peter Kay episode?
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:14 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

rip13 wrote:
Ah wasnt that the Peter Kay episode?

Yessir, it was.
rip13
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Was he any good in it?
Hes amazing in his own series like Phoenix Nights and Max and Paddy's Road To Nowhere (probably means nothing to you) but i was wondering how his acting would fare up in a more series role.