FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> 2010: The best year ever?
Karloff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

frank_dracman wrote:
Karloff wrote:
How do you mean "suffer mediocrity on the Wii"?

It's sales were less than stellar, and that game deserves a wider audience than what can be found in the average Wii owner. The Wii's a good system for it's target demographic, but adult-orientated games, no matter how good they are, all do poorly on the machine. Madworld, No More Heroes, Dead Space Extraction, Deadly Creatures, hell, even the new Silent Hill didn't do all that great compared to games like My Little Pony Paint N' Ride or whatever Grandma and the kids are playing nowadays.

I don't hate the system, my wife and I play every now and then. But I'll never see it as anything more than a back-up system to my more "mature" consoles and games.

"Grandma and the kids"? There seems to be a stream of sexism regarding the perceived audience of the Wii. We've already had a few sideswipes at mothers and kids, now grandmothers, too. C'mon, I'm not the only fella who enjoys the Wii so can we lay off now please?

It's a shame that those superior games you mention didn't fare well commercially. And it's a bigger shame that Nintendo seem to be giving up on that genre. Zelda, Metroid Prime and Mario remain successful mainstays for the company and it would be good to see something in that area come along and push the machine the way RE4 did for the ill-fated Gamecube.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:42 pm  Reply with quote

Karloff wrote:
frank_dracman wrote:
Karloff wrote:
How do you mean "suffer mediocrity on the Wii"?

It's sales were less than stellar, and that game deserves a wider audience than what can be found in the average Wii owner. The Wii's a good system for it's target demographic, but adult-orientated games, no matter how good they are, all do poorly on the machine. Madworld, No More Heroes, Dead Space Extraction, Deadly Creatures, hell, even the new Silent Hill didn't do all that great compared to games like My Little Pony Paint N' Ride or whatever Grandma and the kids are playing nowadays.

I don't hate the system, my wife and I play every now and then. But I'll never see it as anything more than a back-up system to my more "mature" consoles and games.

"Grandma and the kids"? There seems to be a stream of sexism regarding the perceived audience of the Wii. We've already had a few sideswipes at mothers and kids, now grandmothers, too. C'mon, I'm not the only fella who enjoys the Wii so can we lay off now please?

It's a shame that those superior games you mention didn't fare well commercially. And it's a bigger shame that Nintendo seem to be giving up on that genre. Zelda, Metroid Prime and Mario remain successful mainstays for the company and it would be good to see something in that area come along and push the machine the way RE4 did for the ill-fated Gamecube.

Grandma and the kids is a jab, for sure, but sexist? Come on. Like I posted, I enjoy the system, but like the quote Floyd posted, even Nintendo knows their audience. For every game aimed at teenagers and adults, there are 15 Babyz and Bratz games to shovel through. That ain't sexist, my man, that's a fact. Believe me, I'm not one to ridicule anyone for liking the system (or anything, for that matter. Except Floyd, 'cause you're my boy, blue!), so don't be so tender. Very Happy
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

Splinter Cell: Conviction.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:49 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
Splinter Cell: Conviction.

I've played the demo like 4 times. Can't wait for that one.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

One of the gaming Gods on motion controls....

Warren Spector believes that attempts to appeal to the mass market with new devices like motion controllers are a threat to traditional gaming.

The motion control bandwagon runs the risk of "throwing away our entire history", the veteran designer warned at a GDC event attended by Gamasutra.

"I think it's kind of weird...that we've sort of said, 'We've go 20, 30 years of people learning how to do this’ - sitting on their couch and having a good time, and knowing where the buttons are - and we're saying 'You've got to stand up and wave around and gesture.

"We're in the process of throwing away people - kids, adults - who know this stuff. Especially from outside the industry, there's a tendency to want to see seismic shifts, to want to see radical change, and we have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater," he said.

While he’s best known for his work on the likes of Deus Ex and System Shock, Spector’s currently heading up development on Disney’s Wii exclusive Epic Mickey, and he noted that he isn’t against motion control per se. "By the way, I'm working on a Wii title and I'm loving it.”

Nevertheless, he said that he hopes developers continue to create single player experiences and games that cater to niche audiences
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

Castlevania – Lords of Shadow
Starcraft 2 stealing GotY from everybody!
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:52 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
One of the gaming Gods on motion controls....

Warren Spector believes that attempts to appeal to the mass market with new devices like motion controllers are a threat to traditional gaming.

The motion control bandwagon runs the risk of "throwing away our entire history", the veteran designer warned at a GDC event attended by Gamasutra.

"I think it's kind of weird...that we've sort of said, 'We've go 20, 30 years of people learning how to do this’ - sitting on their couch and having a good time, and knowing where the buttons are - and we're saying 'You've got to stand up and wave around and gesture.

"We're in the process of throwing away people - kids, adults - who know this stuff. Especially from outside the industry, there's a tendency to want to see seismic shifts, to want to see radical change, and we have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater," he said.

While he’s best known for his work on the likes of Deus Ex and System Shock, Spector’s currently heading up development on Disney’s Wii exclusive Epic Mickey, and he noted that he isn’t against motion control per se. "By the way, I'm working on a Wii title and I'm loving it.”

Nevertheless, he said that he hopes developers continue to create single player experiences and games that cater to niche audiences

A threat? Hardly. It will have it's audience, but the bigger consoles and PC have dug themselves so deeply into our culture it would be stupefying if everything went motion control. Could you play WOW with a waggle? A decent shooter? Would you be willing to wave your arms around for 4 hours straight getting swept away by the next big RPG? The Wii simply doesn't have enough buttons to accommodate a open world sandbox game without sacrificing something. There is room for both out there and I think the competition will do some good.

And Epic Micky looks mighty fine.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

I think it's more of a threat than you might think. Last I heard MS was developing a motion controller. Face it. The Wii makes more money than any other console. That's all these companies care about. Activision threw away Infinity Ward without a second thought in the name of making more money which obviously will back-fire on them but that was their intent.
frank_dracman
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

Floydian Trip wrote:
I think it's more of a threat than you might think. Last I heard MS was developing a motion controller. Face it. The Wii makes more money than any other console. That's all these companies care about. Activision threw away Infinity Ward without a second thought in the name of making more money which obviously will back-fire on them but that was their intent.

Let me rub my magic ball....oh, that's nice.....hold up.....OK. I predict the Natal will be a flop. How are you supposed to play a game with any kind of depth solely with a camera? Do you want to sit there and wave your arms around to scroll through menus? Not me, thank you very much. The whole Infinity Ward thing sucks, but that's just big business doing it's same old song and dance, and I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the success of the Wii. And how many people do you know that only have a Wii? And out of them, how many are gamers? Hell, I have relatives that have a Wii and it just sits there until the grand kids come over. Then they bowl or throw darts for a while then it's back to the entertainment center. I hate using the term "hardcore", but this is where the industry is going. Hardcore gamers will have their fun and games, and social gamers will have the Wii. Please tell me the developers aren't stupid enough to try and merge the two into some kind of ill-fated beast.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

I hope you're right Frank. Games now are starting to get harder and more challenging again and that's a good thing. I got so tired a few years back when everyone was complaining that games were too hard. Then Ninja Gaiden came along and kicked everyone in that ass reminded people that difficult games are where the fun is at. Whenever anyone thinks back to the best games they've ever played or their biggest gaming achievements it's always about the ones that were the most diffiucult and frustrating. Motion Controls sure make a game frustrating but not in a good way.

I love snowboarding games and I tried playing SSX: Blur on a Wii and it was impossible to have fun. 1080 is my favorite and I will miss it.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

Hydrophobia
Echoshift (God do I love Echochrome)
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

Warriors: Legend of Troy or somesuch (Rated M)
Front Mission Evolved speaking of old Nintendo games.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

These are coming to me slowly..

Splatterhouse

Homefront (A Korean invasion of the US which might stand out because it's being written by the guy who wrote Apocalypse Now and Red Dawn)
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

How could Rage slip my mind so easily. The first id game in a long time.

The graphics in Rocket Knight look outstanding.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Ghost Recon: Predator of course

Neir looks interesting