FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Radio 666 -> Best Concert(s) of your life
nonserviam03
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't see a topic on this, and I thought it might be a good one to start.

Audioslave - This show was genius with how it was constructed. They opened with a few Audioslave songs, and then Cornell started talking about how The New York Times did a review of their set and said that "we played this next song well" but unfortunately, they didn't play that song in New York, but they were going to play it tonight. Then they went into Rusty Cage, and a giant Sound Garden banner dropped in the background. They covered up the banner and went back into Audioslave songs, and then Cornell introduced the rest of the band, saying "they wrote something for you, you wanna hear it?" Immediately, they went into an instrumental version of Bulls on Parade, followed by Sleep Now in The Fire, and a huge Rage Against the Machine banner dropped in the background. They went back into Audioslave songs, and eventually everything went dark, and Cornell came out with an acoustic guitar and began to play Black Hole Sun. The rest of the band joined in eventually, and after that they played Killing in the Name. Finally, closing their set with Cochise, the huge Audioslave banner drops in the background. Badass.

Ozzfest 2004 - Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Superjoint Ritual, and BLS on the main stage, meaning no nu metal. Judas Priest was definitely the highlight of the night, but seeing Black Sabbath, with all of the original members, as well as Slayer and Dimmu, was awesome. The second stage didn't really have much to write home about.

The Free For All Tour - This one was an industrial show, consisting of Pigface, Sheep on Drugs, Nocturne, and the Voodou. There were also a metric TON of local bands playing, and they had two stages playing simultaneously. Pigface is absolutely brilliant live, one of the craziest shows I've ever seen.

Godsmack - I'm not a huge Godsmack fan, really, but I ended up with free tickets, so I went, and I have to say, they can REALLY tear it up live. About 15 minutes of a dual drum solo with the singer on a second drum set, both of them playing in unison. From that they started going into War Pigs, which was cool. Also, there was a guitar solo with a violin bow. Awesome.

Tyr and Alestorm - Tyr was good, but Alestorm was the highlight. Besides the incredible energy from the band, the lead singer is hilarious on stage. He at one point asked the crowd on the count of 3 to yell "BATMAN!" and then proceeded to say "you have no idea how much that turned me on." Also, the singer plays a keytar. NOT ENOUGH BANDS HAVE A KEYTAR!

Carcass - Opening bands were 1349, Suffocation, and Aborted. Not much to say, just a really sick lineup of great bands.

Boys Noize - Here's the oddball, but this was more of a dance party than a concert, since Boys Noize is electro house. Really fun show, in Webster Hall in New York.

MSTRKRFT - Same as Boyz Noize, dance party, but the selection of songs was amazing. Played Between God and Elvis, and at the end played Bohemean Raphsody out of the blue. Awesome.

And then other bands that put on a great show, but I don't really have much to say about.

Genghis Tron
ZZ Top
Opeth
Lamb of God
Megadeth
Nile
Cannibal Corpse
Los Lonely Boys (they were playing for FREE at Artscape a few years back!)
Mushroomhead
Amon Amarth
Goatwhore
Marduk and Nachtmystium
Clutch and Russian Circles.
Permafrost
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:16 pm  Reply with quote

nonserviam03 wrote:
Carcass - Opening bands were 1349, Suffocation, and Aborted. Not much to say, just a really sick lineup of great bands.

Agreed!

These are a few that I can think of:

Goatwhore (headlining this past July)
Kylie Minogue (in Vegas. Fucking awesome)
Amon Amarth (Dec. 2007)
Napalm Death (Apr. 1999)
Dixie Chicks (Fall 2003)
X-Count
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:10 am  Reply with quote

My favorite concert I've ever been to had to be back in 2006.03.24 in Cleveland, Ohio. It was LOUDNESS!!! Loudest shit ever and I think everyone but me ended up deaf after it. Happened at Peabody's.
Desdinova
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:21 am  Reply with quote

As an adult, I hate super-large crowds. So arena shows tend to stink for me no matter who's playing. As an adult, I tend to like medium-sized club shows from up-and-coming bands or long-established independents.

But, the best show for me was when I was a kid. In 1979, my father (RIP), a rather straight-laced guy who listened 60s soul and pop, and 70s singer-songwriters like James Taylor, took me to my first concert ever to see my favorite band: the bombastic, raucous, KISS ! And he did it on his own freakin' birthday !

At the time I thought nothing of that. But, as I returned to the memory as an adult, I realized how much Dad truly loved me by putting up with that on his own birthday.

Thanks, Dad. You are missed.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

I'll just copy and paste this....

Speaking of concerts...

I love hearing about them. What's your most memorable experience?

Mine 1989, Rosemont Illinois, the Rosemont Horizon, now the Allstate Arena because everything has to be owned by a corporation, Pink Floyd on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

I got lucky in the lottery for my favorite band and wound up with 15th row seats. Me and my buddy rolled into the parking lot with 2 ounces of pot, 3 hours before the concert fully intending to smoke it all. What I didn't realize was that the parking lot of the Rosemont Horizon was going to become little Amsterdam. Every drug imaginable was on hand and everyone was trading. We wound up smoking about an ounce of weed as well as having a little coke, shrooms, acid and even nitrous oxide. Needless to say by the time the lights dimmed in the arena I was higher than I've ever been in my life.

I was in a trance for the whole show. The light show they put on was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. From a green waving ocean to every light in the house blinking on and off for Run Like Hell. When I wasn't staring at the lights my eyes were on David Gilmour. Such a stately gentleman. Just standing there smiling the whole time playing his guitar better than anyone else can do on the planet.

I've been to a lot of concerts in my day but nothing has ever or will ever even come close to that experience.
GinnyInHell
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Tool, July 3rd, 2007, Detroit--it was an explosion of sight, sound and mind, the only thing that sucks is my boyfriend at the time was not a Tool fan and whined the whole time
Dr Malachi Constant
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:57 pm  Reply with quote
Awaiting a Nifty Title

National Mall in '00 ... free Fugazi show right outside of the Smithsonian, funded by said museum. Front row amidst a crowd of punkers, junkers, and even a handful of buddhist monks. A guy in a wheelchair got WAY too into the music and elbowed my friend in the stones, and now Jesse'll never have kids. Best concert ever.

Either that or the first time I saw Sonic Youth, back in '06. I got to actually meet them, for like a split second, the second time I saw them, in '08, but that first time was something really special.
BadAsh
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

my first time seeing the original line up of Black Sabbath (2001) was epic....it was on Ozzfest with the 'classic' lineup of Marilyn Manson 'opening'...

I also thoroughly enjoyed seeing Manson reunited with Twiggy at the Queen E theatre in Vancouver last year.

...(not including bar shows with local bands) I have been to well over 200 concerts in my life, so narrowing them down is difficult....shit, remembering them all is difficult.

oh - my first time seeing NIN (front row on the rail) was amazing too.
ajburton29
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
Tool, July 3rd, 2007, Detroit--it was an explosion of sight, sound and mind, the only thing that sucks is my boyfriend at the time was not a Tool fan and whined the whole time.

I saw that same show in Milwaukee, the very next night on July 4th 2007. Very Happy
Only show I've ever seen where the front man/singer stayed at the back of the stage while the two guitarists stayed at the front of the stage.
MethRattle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

Cowboy Junkies, on their Black-Eyed Man tour with John Prine in a little auditorium usually reserved for plays. I'm typically the rock/metal concert type, but this was beautiful music played beautifully. They literally put me (and half the audience) into an alpha-wave state where I was hypnotically-relaxed but still completely cognizant of the music. That's the best I've ever felt walking out of a concert.