FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> True Blood
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

Didn't See It Coming wrote:
EvilRex wrote:

Funny, because there is a large fanbase that think Paquin is the weakest part of the show. I don't know if it's her character or how she portrays her character, but mid-way through Season 2, she's been getting on my nerves. And I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, because I I can't get past her gap-toothed, fish face.

There is a large fanbase that think this is quality TV too. Like I said, I never really found her attractive. Something about her on this show does it for me.

But "quality" is subjective. Is it as groundbreaking in writing, acting and directing as past original HBO programs like Soprano's, Six Feet Under, etc? Obviously not. But is it better than a good majority of network, cable and pay cable tv in writing, acting and directing? I think so.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:
EvilRex wrote:

Funny, because there is a large fanbase that think Paquin is the weakest part of the show. I don't know if it's her character or how she portrays her character, but mid-way through Season 2, she's been getting on my nerves. And I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, because I I can't get past her gap-toothed, fish face.

There is a large fanbase that think this is quality TV too. Like I said, I never really found her attractive. Something about her on this show does it for me.

But "quality" is subjective. Is it as groundbreaking in writing, acting and directing as past original HBO programs like Soprano's, Six Feet Under, etc? Obviously not. But is it better than a good majority of network, cable and pay cable tv in writing, acting and directing? I think so.

Spare me the "quality" is subjective crap. Especially after following it with asking if it's as good in quality as shows like The Sopranos and Six Fee Under. The show is a giant piece of popular culture junk food.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, man, you squander no opportunity to be an asshole.

Bravo.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:

Bravo.

I'm not being an asshole. Sorry if you think me pointing out the contradictory elements of your post. Plus you should know that saying it's "subjective" is wasted words. I know it is. But you should also know that objectively, by comparing it to great shows with high standards like the ones you mentioned, is only going to further prove my point that the show is only "good" on a base level. The writing isn't very good. And man, now that I'm half-way through season 2, the side stories are pretty bad. Everything involving Tara and Jason in season 2 is downright annoying.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:54 am  Reply with quote

I'm caught up to where I believe the season is, which episode episode 11. I will concede that the seasons Jason's subplot have wrapped up satisfyingly. Especially in episodes 9 and 10. Episode 10 was especially good with Lafayette and Tara's mother coming to her aid and Jason pretending to be the God that Comes.

But, I still find it hard to believe this show is getting much praise beyond the "guilty pleasure" level. Normally I don't find guilt in anything I derive pleasure from, but if I had to qualify something as such, it would be this show.

I think a lot of that comes from the acting from the Vampires. It's so ridiculously melodramatic and cliche that it comes off as camp.Which is fine, I guess. But hardly on the level of the best season of Buffy, Angel, Lost or Galactica. All much better genre shows.
LSD Zombie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

Last episode posed many questions. Will the egg give birth to Dionysus? Is Bill going to turn Sam in order to sabotage the sacrifice? Will Jason once again partially save the day or fuck up? What sort of deal is Eric making with the Queen of Louisiana?

Looks like we're in for one helluva finale!
Sirand
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:50 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

As far as the acting goes, Bill is the only one I find incredibly hammy. Everyone else absolutely rules.

Still laughing from Jason going all Bruce Campbell on the townsfolk and doing the "God" stunt. That shit was classic!
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:24 pm  Reply with quote

EvilRex wrote:

Bravo.

I'm not being an asshole. Sorry if you think me pointing out the contradictory elements of your post. Plus you should know that saying it's "subjective" is wasted words. I know it is. But you should also know that objectively, by comparing it to great shows with high standards like the ones you mentioned, is only going to further prove my point that the show is only "good" on a base level. The writing isn't very good. And man, now that I'm half-way through season 2, the side stories are pretty bad. Everything involving Tara and Jason in season 2 is downright annoying.

Yeah, you caught me in a bad mood.

I wrongly phrased my earlier argument. I really had no intention to compare True Blood to award winning and critically praised shows. It's intellectually dishonest to do so.

I was really just trying toss out the term "quality" from the argument, because quality isn't judged only on a fixed set of standards, unless, though, we establish those standards first.
EvilRex
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

I'm caught up to where I believe the season is, which episode episode 11. I will concede that the seasons Jason's subplot have wrapped up satisfyingly. Especially in episodes 9 and 10. Episode 10 was especially good with Lafayette and Tara's mother coming to her aid and Jason pretending to be the God that Comes.

But, I still find it hard to believe this show is getting much praise beyond the "guilty pleasure" level. Normally I don't find guilt in anything I derive pleasure from, but if I had to qualify something as such, it would be this show.

I think a lot of that comes from the acting from the Vampires. It's so ridiculously melodramatic and cliche that it comes off as camp.Which is fine, I guess. But hardly on the level of the best season of Buffy, Angel, Lost or Galactica. All much better genre shows.

AS far as your argument about the Vampires, I take it as intentional. It isn't so much the acting that is melodramatic and cliche but who and what they are as characters. I take it that they are portrayed as beings with just as many flaws and weaknesses as humans, just in a different sense. They're dead, without souls, without purpose other than indulging in their own desires; so their characterizations reflect this.

I've been arguing since last season that the one thing that bothers me the most is that Bill is the only Vampire with a Good Moral Compass. (Until Godrick showed up, but still that makes 2). Either we're meant to believe that Bill is a freak or a mutant in the Vampire race, or that it is possible to be a Vampire and "good". So if the later is the case, when are we going to meet more like Bill?
FreddysFingers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:38 am  Reply with quote

I saw the first episode of this series and I was hooked but since then I haven't seen it all because of my school and I haven't even caught up with it. I suck! But, I will buy all the season on DVD eventually.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:10 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

TRUE BLOOD is hammy and cheesy, there's really no arguing that. And the accents, well let's just say they need some work hahaha.

But my favorite sandwich of all time is ham and cheese. And I have finally fallen for TRUE BLOOD.

It's going to be a bummer not seeing the awesome Michelle Forbes chew scenery week after week. Man I loooooove her.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:27 am  Reply with quote

Season finale sucked.
The Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:37 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

I am sooooooooooo glad that the annoyance known as Eggs is fucking dead dead dead shot in the fucking head head head.

This show is full of annoying characters but I am somehow still enthralled.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:15 am  Reply with quote

The Butcher wrote:
I am sooooooooooo glad that the annoyance known as Eggs is fucking dead dead dead shot in the fucking head head head.

This show is full of annoying characters but I am somehow still enthralled.

That was seriously one of the stupidest character moments in any thing I've ever seen.
reno
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

The show was getting better and better with each episode but it really lost it's steam the episode Gondrik died.

Still my favorite show on tv right now for whatever reason... looking forward to next season.