FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Fistful of Joystick -> SW: The Force Unleashed
EvilRex
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

Played the Demo of the latest Star Wars game on the 360 and I was blown away. It was a blast playing through the mini-level. Force-grabbing and tossing Stormtroopers aside like ragdolls was a blast. Not to mention the graphics was excellent.

This game wasn't on my radar at all, but now I'm heavily considering picking it up next month.
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

I've been drooling at the prospects of this one since it was first announced. Haven't dwnlded the demo yet.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:06 pm  Reply with quote

Pretty damn fun, too bad the camera is sometimes a real bitch.

The coolest thing is watching a storm trooper trying to hold onto a crate when your about to force push his ass to certain death!
Chainsaw
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Location: DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN!

Not to spoil what happens in the game, but I saw a figure of Vader today that ties into the game.

Let's just say, I can't wait to get to that point in the game when I play it.

"Guaranteed adventures for every citizen should be in the Bill of Rights."-Sam Hell
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

I've played it twice. Once for my initial reaction and the second time to make sure.

My initial reaction was right. This game is gonna suck.

The targeting was TERRIBLE. How many times did you want to target the storm trooper but instead you grabbed a crate like thing? The camera has to be directly behind you to grab the proper thing which makes it a mess.

I can't stand the arcade-like scoring. Hit multiple targets, and it says so with a BONUS! I would rather have all those stored up as stats rather than on screen. It takes away from the game.

How many times do I need to be knocked to my death from cheap hits and platforms?

And the worst part? Having to stand still to block. I've seen all the movies, and I know that Jedi don't have to stand still. What this is piss poor game design.

I will definitely pass on this crap.
Mr. Dark
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Played the demo, and I was able to overlook the shortcomings DSIC mentions due to the overwhelming amount of 'OH SHIT I JUST THREW A TIE FIGHTER AT A GUY'. I mean, seriously, some games merit coping with some play mechanics that could use some TLC. Mass Effect is a big one. Combat there kind of sucked...but the rest of the game was so damn glorious that it really didn't matter.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:06 pm  Reply with quote

The reviews will be great fun to read. Casual SW fans will give it a 6 or 7, while the nutters will praise it to no end and flame wars will burn unholy in comments sections.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:53 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Dark wrote:
Played the demo, and I was able to overlook the shortcomings DSIC mentions due to the overwhelming amount of 'OH SHIT I JUST THREW A TIE FIGHTER AT A GUY'. I mean, seriously, some games merit coping with some play mechanics that could use some TLC. Mass Effect is a big one. Combat there kind of sucked...but the rest of the game was so damn glorious that it really didn't matter.

Mass Effect's combat got better when your character got better. Do you really think this game is going to be anywhere near as good as Mass Effect? Seriously? This game is about being a bad ass Sith/Jedi. Knights of the Old Republic had better mechanics than this AND a great story.
Didn't See It Coming
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:56 pm  Reply with quote

Kryten Syxx wrote:
The reviews will be great fun to read. Casual SW fans will give it a 6 or 7, while the nutters will praise it to no end and flame wars will burn unholy in comments sections.

I'm a huge SW fan and I think it stinks.
Kryten Syxx
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:15 am  Reply with quote

I am also a huge fan of Star Wars, and it is easy to point out this title's problems. On the other hand, for me it is fun to play at least in this short span. If the game play is like this for the entire thing, then it's going to get old fast.

Running while blocking, redirecting gunfire, enhanced targetting and more combos better be available as you level up, otherwise this will go back to EB pretty quick if Gamefly doesn't ship it to me first.
arandomthought
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:42 am  Reply with quote

I'll be picking up the psp version on the 16th. I'll let you guys know how it is.
Sirand
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:22 pm  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Fucking loved the demo! It's just mass destruction cranked up to the max!

At one point, I lifted a stormtrooper in the air and one of his buddies grabbed his hand to try and help him down. He was just dangling there, as I lifted them both up and into the path of an on-coming tie fighter! Gotta love it!

I'm not one for button-mashing action games, but this is a helluva lot of fun!
Floydian Trip
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:26 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree it's pretty fun. I just hope the demo is one of the sparser levels. I want destruction on an epic scale with maxed out force powers. I'll rent it.
The Buz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:02 am  Reply with quote
Dread Central Staff

Played the Demo twice! What a fun destructive game.
elric300
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

It takes a bit to get used to the controls to the point where you can really do some awesome things.
The only thing I didn't quite like as much are the light saber moves. Very limited. I hope that's better in the final game.

But yeah...throwing a freaking tie fighter at a guy is just sooo cool!