FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> Best-cellars -> Stephen King HATES YOU...
talthar
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:43 am  Reply with quote

I read the "Bark at the Moon" on this subject and, to be honest, didn't know how to feel.

I think that we tend to forget that celebrities are people too, as cliched as that sounds. Sure, most days Kevin Smith is super cool and loves to talk with his fans. But what about the day he has a toothache, or he got into a fight with his wife? If you approached him on those days and he was stand-offish or seemed rude, would you think "Christ, what a dick!", or would you think "Maybe Silent Bob's having an off day,". Knowing most people, you'd assume the worst.

For someone like Stephen King privacy is a luxury. God knows, if I had even the most normal people camping out at the end of my driveway I would be freaked out. And you know he's got some fucking nuts there, people who make Annie Wilkes look like a fuzzy bunny. Can you imagine having to deal with fans like that everyday? I go to the store to buy a pack of smokes and someone's screaming my name, demanding (not asking, but demanding) that I give them a part of my day? That's when I'd start carrying a baseball bat and playing Big Papi when I saw them.

But all King does is say "Hey, give me some space,". I'm okay with that. If you're not, don't buy his books.
Darnell
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

I did encounter Stephen King a couple of times when I lived in Maine. I saw him once at the Bangor movie theater and he was totally normal, just a regular person going to the movies with his kids. I was walking towards the concession stand and the lights were in my eyes, blinding me. So I'm squinting into his face without even knowing it's him, not smiling but kind of staring dazedly, and when the light clears I see him with one of those wary, is-this-person-going-to-kill-me? smiles plastered to his face. Then of course, I smiled and said hi and he and his kid said hi. Totally normal. I also talked to him on the phone once and he was very nice. In all my random encounters with him over the years I've never expressed what a great writer I think he is because a) he must know by now, and b) I'd feel like Annie Wilkes.
Ephram Pixie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

I went to a signing once and never got the chance to meet him because they closed the line early. Finally went at 5am and stood in Soho at B&N for From aBuick 8 signing. Seven hours later I got my ten seconds and he was nice enough but you could tell he really didn't want to be there. He does a couple signings for each book now and you wonder why does he even bother. Most of the people in line are dealers that can't wait to get back home and put it on e-bay for hundreds of dollars. really pisses me off theses people.

even at the signing i didn't meet him it was limited to 200 people. they took 166 and cut it off. You couldn't take a pic with himexcept from a distance. my friend got to meet him and the liason was very rude and cut everything short. if King was there 90 minutes tops, so obviously he doesn't really want to meet you the fan- the book is enough he says- but he does give mixed messages calling everyone constant reader and acting like he is you're best friend and you are the only one that reads his books. a little confusing.

On a side note- Neil Gaimen turned me off when I went to a signing in the Wall Street district on a Friday night. Maybe 40 or 50 people were there- it was pretty rushed and I had the ten hardcover Sandman's and his first novel- 11 books total plus a statue and he would only sign 4 things. really stupid if you ask me- plus the bookstore closed at 8:30 on a Friday night?

Prefer meeting people like Joe Lansdale who signs whatever you got and talks easily to you and puts his arm around your shoulder like he's your best buddy for a pic. A class act. There've been other writers like that.

What I find is if you don't sell alot of books or are just starting out you would kill for the attention but when you make it many shun the exposure.

Clive Barker is my favorite writer of all time and have met him dozens of times. He is always awesome whether you are first or the 500th person and signs whatever you bring him. I did read in his biography that he dreads it and becomes the public Clive Barker- alittle surprised at that but at least he doesn't show it.
Gus Bjork
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

Gaimen has always been a favorite of mine and I used to check out his blogs on a regular basis although it's been a few years. My recollection is that Gaimen signings are well run and quite regulated and that there is some sort of notification in advance that he will sign only a certain number of items. He would tell stories about people bringing in a horde of items to sign and it just became too much. Concerns about this are:

1) It has fan, not ebay sale, signficance
2) To avoid the very situation you describe with King. There is only so much time someone can devote to signings and he would rather give everyone a chance than to run out of time and leave some high and dry.

Incidently a few years ago Gaimen was part of the world Fantasyfest (or whatever) here in the Twin Cities. He put the word out he was looking for a Punch and Judy Professor (an expert performer and part of the international association of Punch and Judy puppeteers can earn the title professor). I immediately got him in touch with my friend Diana and she ended up doing a show with Gaimen.

She didn't know who he was at all so no star struck stuff. Later, she said he was a very nice guy, gracious and smart but a little bit of a 'rock star' attitude...someone very aware that they were a celeb.
Darnell
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:41 am  Reply with quote

Joe R. Lansdale and Jack Ketchum are both great at signings, very personable, as is Bruce Campbell, who knows it's a job but doesn't punish the fan for that. Believe it or not one of the coolest signers who is as in demand as Stephen King is Howard Stern. Totally takes the time to say hi, look you in the eye, shake your hand, whatever.

Professional dealers are a menace. If there were only some way to weed them out of signings. It's not what the signer is there to do.
Mephistopheles
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Just because Stephen King has a different opinion from someone doesn't mean he's full of shit. Neutral

I never got the impression that King hates his fans...He probably likes to keep to himself, but he never seemed hostile. The only time he came off as bitter to me was in the afterword to the last Dark Tower book when he said "Don't send me your complaints. I won't answer them." which was a bit uncalled for the people who actually enjoyed the book and probably did nothing to stop the pissed off people.
Desdinova
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:12 am  Reply with quote

Ephram Pixie wrote:
On a side note- Neil Gaimen turned me off when I went to a signing in the Wall Street district on a Friday night. Maybe 40 or 50 people were there- it was pretty rushed and I had the ten hardcover Sandman's and his first novel- 11 books total plus a statue and he would only sign 4 things. really stupid if you ask me. . . .

You're kidding, right ? At 4 items per person at your 50 person event, Gaiman was signing around 200 items. If everyone brought 11 books, then item total would have gone up to 550. And YOU think he's a dick because he didn't want writer's cramp (which could lead to carpal tunnel syndrome) ? Unreal. Four items was quite generous when, in reality, a fan only deserves ONE autograph per event.
Terminal
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:15 am  Reply with quote

Desdinova wrote:
Ephram Pixie wrote:
On a side note- Neil Gaimen turned me off when I went to a signing in the Wall Street district on a Friday night. Maybe 40 or 50 people were there- it was pretty rushed and I had the ten hardcover Sandman's and his first novel- 11 books total plus a statue and he would only sign 4 things. really stupid if you ask me. . . .

You're kidding, right ? At 4 items per person at your 50 person event, Gaiman was signing around 200 items. If everyone brought 11 books, then item total would have gone up to 550. And YOU think he's a dick because he didn't want writer's cramp (which could lead to carpal tunnel syndrome) ? Unreal. Four items was quite generous when, in reality, a fan only deserves ONE autograph per event.

To use nineties slang:

I hear dat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address