FAQ   Search the Forums   Log in to check your private messages

Recent Headlines

Recent Reviews

Forums Index -> The Terror Tube -> Torchwood
RingoJ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

I'll ring him up and see if he'll go for it.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:30 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Gwen is rapidly becoming Torchwood's version of Rose...

Gwen has to interject some "humanity" into the show, which just consists of her challenging Capt. Jack, or making decisions she wants to, regardless of protocall or the danger it puts others in.

Just like what Rose did in Doctor Who.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, but she's less annoying.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:38 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

That is very very very very true.

No one is as much as a dickbag as Rose was.

Gwen has that gargantuan gap between her teeth. Yipes!
RingoJ
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

Eh, she's ok in my book.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:17 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Gwen has that "I'm not usually from this environment, but I think things have to be that way, so I'm going to do whatever I want to, even if I don't know any better" atitude - and that makes her ill-suited to deal with a lot of things.

She wants to do things her way, and tell Torchwood how wrong they are, then she should stop screwing up.

Rose had that same failing.

The "I just must be right... because I think so" syndrome...

Also known as "The Lisa Simpson Syndrome."
RingoJ
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

There is a rumor floating around that she either is or is somehow tied to the character of Gwenyth from "The Unquiet Dead"

Another interesting rumor is that Captain Jack is trying to grow himself a Tardis.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:59 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Ok, here it goes:

Gwen is DEFINITELY a descendant of Gwenyth from "The Unquiet Dead."

And Capt. Jack has the Doctor's hand that was severed (and he grew a new one) in "The Christmas Invasion." The TARDIS, thing...I'm not too sure...TARDIS are not grown...well not really....
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:19 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

Some more Doctor Who/Torchwood connections:

There is to be no overt story cross-over between the two series; however, since they both take place in the same universe and involve shared characters, there are some concrete narrative links between Torchwood and Doctor Who. References to Torchwood and the Torchwood Institute were dropped into Doctor Who episodes broadcast in 2005 and 2006, some of which set up the premise for the Torchwood series.

The Unquiet Dead: The Cardiff space-time Rift introduced in this episode (and later revisited in Boom Town) would be part of the explanation for Jack being on modern-day Earth.
Though any connection between the two roles played by Eve Myles — Gwyneth in The Unquiet Dead and Gwen in Torchwood — is yet to be clarified, the former character has a strong personal bond with the Rift introduced in that episode, and around which Torchwood has since established its base of operations.
Aliens of London: Toshiko Sato, posing as a medical doctor in the Albion Hospital examines the augmented pig from the Slitheen family spaceship. It is later established that Sato was recruited straight out of university, so at this point she is already working for Torchwood, although this is not indicated on screen.
The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances: in Everything Changes, Gwen discovers that the only Captain Jack Harkness on record disappeared without a trace in 1941. This is the year of the events of The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances; at the conclusion of this two-parter, Jack joins the TARDIS crew.
Boom Town: The paving slab that serves as the "invisible lift" back door to the Hub has properties that make anyone standing on it virtually unnoticeable to passers-by. The TARDIS was also stood there when it was used to almost open the Rift — in Everything Changes Jack explains that "a dimensionally transcendental chameleon circuit placed right on this spot… welded its perception properties to a spatio-temporal rift", meaning that the TARDIS' chameleon circuit helped to create the "invisible lift".
The Parting of the Ways: Jack survives getting shot in the head in Everything Changes. Jack recounts, very vaguely, the story of him once dying and then coming back to life, a reference to the events of The Parting of the Ways, in which Jack is exterminated by the Daleks and resurrected by Rose, using the power of the Time Vortex. As a result of this, Jack now cannot be killed. He also hints that he needs to see a 'Doctor' — "the right kind of Doctor" — about his immortality.
The Christmas Invasion: When talking to Gwen Cooper in Everything Changes, Jack Harkness mentions the "great big spaceship hovering over London on Christmas Day." The weapon that destroys the Sycorax ship at the end of the episode is a product of Torchwood.
A severed hand can be seen pickled in a jar at the Torchwood Hub. The 21st October issue of Radio Times confirms the fact: "That's the Doctor's hand that the Sycorax leader cut off in the Christmas episode of Doctor Who last year."[32]In Day One, Captain Jack is very protective of the hand; as he cradles it after its casing is smashed, "Flavia's Theme" from Doctor Who can be heard.
Tooth and Claw: Queen Victoria establishes the Torchwood Institute after her encounter with the Doctor in order to protect the British Empire from extraterrestrial threats.
Army of Ghosts and Doomsday: Torchwood made its first full appearance in these two episodes. In Everything Changes, Jack reveals that the Torchwood Tower seen in this two-parter was Torchwood One and refers to "the battle of Canary Wharf", in which the Daleks and the Cybermen fought and Torchwood One was destroyed. The episode Cyberwoman deals with a partially cyber-converted survivor of this battle, brought to Torchwood Three by Ianto Jones. In Small Worlds, the 3D glasses used by the Doctor in this story can be seen in the Hub.
In a lengthy interview with online magazine AfterElton.com, John Barrowman fleshes out the link between the two series:
"A lot of the things that have happened with Doctor Who [in the second series], the Torchwood team have been responsible for fixing or annihilating after the Doctor does his bit. And the Doctor is saying, at the moment, like “Who the hell are these Torchwood people?” because our paths haven't crossed again, and I am frantically trying to find him. I'm trying to find the Doctor. Because there is something that the viewing public won't know yet, there's something about Jack that nobody knows. And he needs the Doctor."
Jack's office also contains a number of artefacts from Doctor Who, as revealed by the 28th October issue of Radio Times:
"Yes, they're Mr Magpie's TVs [from The Idiot's Lantern]," says our set guide, production designer Edward Thomas. "His son eventually took over the business and Jack has sourced three televisions from his shop. The TVs are scanning for signals."
"There are some Second World War gas masks [from The Empty Child]. You can also see the binoculars that Jack used in the episode when he first spied Rose hanging from a rope."
"There's a piece of coral growing. Jack's growing a Tardis [sic] - obviously you grow a Tardis rather than build one! It's probably been there for about 30 years. I suppose in 500 years' time he'll be able to start the carving process."[33]
On two occasions in the episode Greeks Bearing Gifts, Jack mentions putting together some documents for UNIT.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:46 pm  Reply with quote

I kinda like where this could be going.
thedudeabides
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:31 pm  Reply with quote
Violent Misanthrope

I am curious about Capt. Jack showing up in the last episode of Dr. Who season 3...
RingoJ
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:48 pm  Reply with quote

Same here.
sonny gaunt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:12 am  Reply with quote

I'm A dummy but can Capt. Jack be an offspring of the DOCTOR? And thanks for pointing out that link tween UNIT and Torchwood-I wondered how/if they had a connection.
Kaisersoze
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:58 am  Reply with quote

I'm still struggling with this. I like the Dr Who redux, but this spin-off is all over the shop. It needs to settle and settle quickly in its second season.
RingoJ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:44 am  Reply with quote

sonny gaunt wrote:
I'm A dummy but can Capt. Jack be an offspring of the DOCTOR? And thanks for pointing out that link tween UNIT and Torchwood-I wondered how/if they had a connection.

I noticed that rumor floating around out there, but I doubt that it's true.