The Walking Dead Season 2 Finale Highest Rated of the Series; Cast Looks Ahead to Season 3 in New Video

The Walking DeadIf last night's Season 2 finale of "The Walking Dead" didn't silence the naysayers, well, then, we suspect nothing will. It was the highest rated episode in the series' history and brought the gory goods like we haven't seen since Season 1. Now it's time to look ahead in a new cast video.

Also, per usual, make sure you visit the official "The Walking Dead" page on AMCtv.com, where you'll find highlights of Episode 2.13, "Beside the Dying Fire", along with an "inside look" at the ep, in which the cast of "The Walking Dead" explore the challenges and changes their characters face in the conclusion of the nail-biting second season.

First let's look at the numbers:

The episode delivered a 5.8 HH rating delivering 9 million viewers. AMC’s “The Walking Dead” is the Number One drama series in basic cable history for key demos including: Adults and Men 18-34, Adults and Men 18-49, and Adults and Men 25-54. The finale grew more than 50% in total viewers over Season One.

Source: The Nielsen Company. Live+SD, M-Su 8p-11p. (1993 - 3/18/12), Program Type: Original, Series- Drama, Telecast level among A/M 18-34, 18-49& 25-54 AA(000). TWD Su 9pm vs. weekly broadcast ranked on A/M18-34 & 18-49 AA (000) – excludes weeks 2/20-2/26/12 and 2/27-3/4/12 among A18-49 AA (000).

Key Nielsen Highlights for the Season Two finale of “The Walking Dead”:

9pm airing – 5.8 HH rating with 9 million viewers: +41%/+51% vs. Season 1 Finale
9pm airing – 6 million Adults 18-49: +50% vs Season 1 Finale
9pm airing – 5.3 million Adults 25-54: +50% vs Season 1 Finale
9 pm, 11:30 pm - cumed to 10.5 million viewers

Key Highlights for “The Walking Dead” – Season Two series:

o Season average – 4.6 HH RTG and 6.9 million viewers: 31% and 32% vs. Season One
o Adults 18-49 – 4.6 million: +32% vs. Season One
o Adults 25-54 – 4 million +32% vs. Season One

"Congratulations to everyone associated with AMC's ‘The Walking Dead,’ and thank you to the fans for creating, literally, record-setting television,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president.

We couldn't agree more! Now on to the video in which Andrew Lincoln (Rick), Sarah Wayne Callies (Lori), Laurie Holden (Andrea), and Norman Reedus (Daryl) share a glimpse of what's next for "The Walking Dead".

Will Shane's death unite or fracture the group? Who's that cloaked stranger who saved Andrea? What's up with that massive prison? "The Walking Dead" Season 2 finale poses many questions for Rick and his fellow survivors. In this new video, cast and crew address their hopes for what lies ahead. "This season leaves people at a point where they could fall off the edge or stay on," says Steven Yeun (Glenn). "It's bonkers." Melissa McBride (Carol) predicts more conflict "and lots and lots of zombies."

To stay up-to-the-minute on all things walker related, follow @WalkingDead_AMC on Twitter and visit "The Walking Dead" on Facebook. For more be sure to hit up the official "The Walking Dead" page on AMC.com.

"Like" us on the Dread Central Facebook Fan Page!

Discuss "The Walking Dead" in the comments section below!

Source: "The Walking Dead" on AMCtv.com

I know this show has some problems, but if we just stick with it there is SO MUCH potential there that the writers have to eventually get it right. It is an extremely popular genre show that is amassing a huge fan base. And while there were complaints about the second half of season 1, and season 2 was accused of meandering, going in circles, and highly inconsistent characterization, the concept is just too good for the writers to never get it on the right track.

I think that we will see some great things in season 3. If Hiro ever becomes the badass we saw from the future and Sylar sticks around... wait, what show were we talking about again?

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 03/20/2012 - 12:02pm.

There's always someone ready to knock this show. It doesn't matter, the show is a hit and it's A plus material for the horror genre. If you want zombie killing non-stop, go watch the Resident Evil movies. They're there for the taking.

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 03/20/2012 - 4:40pm.

Zombie killing non-stop? Maybe you missed Hershal shooting a shotgun for 15 minutes without reloading. Or Glen popping headshots from 30 feet away in a moving bumpy car. The zombies teleporting around to be where they needed to be for a scene to work (like how they were all around the women behind Hershal, but none were near Hershal until he had to reload). If I want zombie killing non-stop, I watch The Walking Dead.

If I want consistent well-developed characters, the morality of choices analyzed in a non-insulting way, and a plot that constantly develops, I read The Walking Dead, as I have for over 6 years. I can tell you one thing, never once while reading did I wonder who that character was that just died. I cannot say the same for the guy in the RV in the finale. And if you think the characters are well developed, please tell me something about T-Dog aside from the fact that he is black. He's been around since the second episode. There is no excuse for not doing anything with him.

Maybe you did not watch Heroes. Maybe you did. But I followed it for two and a half seasons, waiting for it to live up to its potential. It was ALMOST there so many times, only to throw it all away by making the characters inconsistent, and the plots go nowhere until it hit a season premiere, mid-season break, or season finale.

And right now I feel that way about this show. I am holding on because I know the potential. Even more than Heroes because I have already READ this concept working. And maybe I judge it more harshly because I compare it to the comic, and expect more from it. But right now I would be lying to say I am happy with what I have watched so far.

You are correct that it is a hit. So are Big Bang Theory and Two Broke Girls. So are the Resident Evil movies, somehow. If you want to bring something actual to the conversation, I invite it.

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 03/20/2012 - 9:23pm.

The Big Bang Theory? I love that show. God you're not one of those butthurt Community geeks are you? Waah, Community is not getting ratings and The Big Bang Theory is! Waaah!

Anyway, like I said, it's a cheap shot. And Comparing it to Heroes which peeterd out at season one while TWD is still riding high is ridiculous beyond belief and a cheap comparison.

Don't like it, don't watch it.

For the sake of my sanity, we'll just agree to disagree. Later.

Submitted by Terminal on Wed, 03/21/2012 - 12:57am.
James Coker's picture

Im soo glad a horror TV show has brought so much people together :)

Submitted by James Coker on Tue, 03/20/2012 - 12:55am.
kiddcapone's picture

It's the best show on TV right now...I can't believe the fans it's pulling in. Everyone is hooked. There's people I know who hate horror that can't stop watching. Young, old, hell, the girls I work with started recording Desperate Housewives on Sundays just so they can watch The Walking Dead and join in the conversation first thing Monday morning at work. It's amazing...

Submitted by kiddcapone on Mon, 03/19/2012 - 10:29pm.

Fuck off naysayers, the show is here to stay! WOO!

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 03/19/2012 - 7:05pm.