Piranha 3DD to Hit Theater Screens and VOD on Same Day

Hot on the heels of last week's trailer, I can't say this news surprises me. Fans have been wondering WHEN they'll have the opportunity to see Piranha 3DD since it was pulled from its original release schedule, and we still don't have a date, but it looks like you won't have to go very far.

The LA Times is reporting that The Weinstein Co. will release Piranha 3DD simultaneously in theaters and via video-on-demand at a to-be-determined date. It's no secret that the Weinsteins have been plagued by financial woes for the past few years so this doesn't come as a real shock - especially in the wake of what I perceived to be an incredibly weak and forced trailer.

Does this move suggest the studio has no faith in the film? How big of a theatrical release will this receive? We'll keep you posted, but I wouldn't get your hopes up of seeing this in full-on 3DD unless you're living in a major city. Then again, I never thought this sequel would be made at all so what do I know?

Synopsis
Having awoken from their spring break extravaganza at Lake Victoria, the swarm heads upstream where they look to make a meal out of Big Wet, a local water park where when it comes to fun, nobody does it wetter! Thought they came to get wet, get loaded and get some, the staff and patrons get more than they bargained for when they must face the fiercest, most bloodthirsty piranhas yet. Lead by the strong-willed, studious Maddy and her friends, Barry and Kyle, the trio must dive in and take on these man-eating creatures using every ounce of their being ... but can they be stopped?

Full Piranha 3DD Trailer Packing Some Serious Bite

Full Piranha 3DD Trailer Packing Some Serious Bite

Nibble at folks in the comments section below!

Source: LA Times

Vanvance1's picture

Weak and forced trailer? The trailer was great and got my hyped up for the movie. It looks even better than the first.

P.S. I bought the blu ray of the first, the rest of you need to do your share too.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 03/04/2012 - 4:55am.
Matt Serafini's picture

I'm really not a fan of the trailer. The first movie had the good sense to play it straight - at lest without winking to the camera. That's why, for me, it was such a joy to watch.

This movie, with the slow motion boobs bouncing, the inclusion of the Hoff (and some terminally lame dialogue) and, of course, Ving Rhames and his leg gun ... it just feels like they're really forcing this stuff. With the first movie, I think Aja understood that the best way to approach the material is to treat it with a straight face.

If Piranha 3DD was from the director of the original Feast only, I'd be pumped. Unfortunately, it's also from the Gulager who made Feast III.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Sun, 03/04/2012 - 11:04am.
Vanvance1's picture

Feast 3 was shot with no time or money. It's not Gulager's fault; blame it on the Weinsteins squeezing blood from a stone.

I think this will be a return to the Feast (and Feast 2) goodness.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 03/04/2012 - 4:06pm.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

I got the 3D Blu-Ray the same day I got my 3D TV. :)

Certainly which is why I hope that if this winds up limited and then to home video; that there'll be a Blu-Ray 3D version. With Blu-Ray 3D; no reason not to release the film in it's native format. Then again Shark Night wasn't released in 3D; a big mistake in my opinion.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Sun, 03/04/2012 - 5:24am.

The weird thing is that the uk blu ray of Shark Night is 3D.

Submitted by will graham on Sun, 03/04/2012 - 6:42am.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

I've seen that on Amazon.uk; the adverts for for 3D but figured they were just ads and that it would ultimately be the 2D release. According to IMDB; Relativity and Rogue handled US distribution while Entertainment Film took care of UK distro. From what little I can find; same special features as the US release. Though can't find if its' an 'All Code' release or just locked at B.

According to IMDBPro Entertainment Film also has the UK rights to Piranha 3DD; so that might be a good sign that at least in the UK, it'll come out on 3D Bluray.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Sun, 03/04/2012 - 9:12am.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

Good luck getting a major chain to agree to this kind of deal. A smaller theater chain probably would; but the majors: Regal, AMC, National Amusements (though I think they're now Rave) more than likely won't. It would potentially set a slippery slope for them.

Then again, if seeing the 3D version in theaters is the only way to see it in 3D; maybe. MAYBE.

The first film cost $50million (including prints/adverts) and raked in $82.9million worldwide theatrical but yeah only $5.8million on home media sales. Which is quite odd as generally horror films do well on home media. Even so, it's not that bad of a gross for a movie of that size. From what I've read, the production budget of 3DD is the same as the first too; so if they did presales, they might have already made back most if not all the production budget.

Hope it hits theaters in full...crossing my fingers.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Sun, 03/04/2012 - 12:47am.

I can actually understand this if it's getting a limited cinema release.
The first one was a hit abroad but didn't do so well in the states and didn't find an audience on bluray/dvd, maybe illegal download.

Pretty certain this only got made because international buyers paid for it in advance.

Submitted by will graham on Sat, 03/03/2012 - 2:20pm.