Has the New Robocop Been Found?

Joel Kinnaman - Has the New Robocop Been Found?Ever since word first broke about director Jose Padilha's remake of Paul Verhoeven's classic Robocop, rumors have been flying as to who would be playing the titular character, and now it looks like a firm offer is out. Read on to find out if you agree with the choice!

Deadline reports that MGM is making an offer to Joel Kinnaman ("The Killing", Safe House, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) for the lead role in the film, which Strike Entertainment partners Eric Newman and Marc Abraham are producing. Josh Zetumer wrote the script although it was reported at the beginning of the year that Gran Torino screenwriter Nick Schenk would be working on it as well.

With the studio hoping for a summer start, we expect a lot more announcements so keep it here!

Get down with OCP in the comments section below!

Source: Deadline

Matt Serafini's picture

RoboCop is a perfect film, technically, subversively and satirically. Nobody will ever do something better than Verhoeven. Ever.

I'm curious about this new movie, and I'm sure it'll be entertaining. I also don't believe Hollywood will let this be an R rated film.

They should get the folks behind District 9 to make this on a budget that WILL allow for an R rating. Wasn't a huge fan of D9, but stylistically it reminded me of Verhoeven's work.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Fri, 02/24/2012 - 8:06pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I'll 2nd that one. RoboCop is an absolute masterpiece. It's a perfect mix of satire and action. Few movies come close.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 02/24/2012 - 11:15pm.
moderator You know I like Joel

You know I like Joel Kinnaman, I think he's a great actor but I just don't see him as RoboCop. Thinking about it though maybe the reason they are going with him is that A- he's a good actor and B- stature-wise he's kind of scrawny and that body type is ideal to put lots of metal around and still come off looking more normal than if it were a body builder of sorts playing the role.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 02/24/2012 - 6:52pm.
kiddcapone's picture

To me, it doesn't even matter. When your face is concealed, your voice is computerized, and your body movements are robotic, doesn't it even fucking matter who is playing the character? Besides the couple opening scenes, it could be Brandon Fraiser for all I care...

Submitted by kiddcapone on Fri, 02/24/2012 - 6:18pm.

Riiiight. As if losing Peter Weller in Part 3 made no difference whatsoever. Granted, there was more wrong with Part 3 than just the casting. Peter Weller was perfect in the film and so was Kurtwood Smith. I can't imagine anyone else in their respective roles.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Fri, 02/24/2012 - 7:24pm.

There was a RoboCop 3? *still blocking and staying in my happy place where that film doesn't exist.*

Submitted by Steve Barton on Fri, 02/24/2012 - 7:53pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Never heard of him. I do hope he can act, a much more nuanced performance is required when your face is covered in a mask.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 02/24/2012 - 5:36pm.