Dinner for Fiends: You're an Idiot!

Dinner for Fiends: You're an Idiot!Open up wide and prepare to choke on a great big serving of Dinner for Fiends. The past few weeks haven’t been very kind to the horror releases at the multiplex, and we’re not much kinder to them either. You’d be an idiot to miss out on this smorgasbord of a show.

Uncle Creepy, Buz, Matt Fini, and yours truly spend a considerable amount of time debating the merits of the Fright Night remake, featuring the horrifying truth about Creepy’s cinematic hair fetish and how it affects his reaction to the movies he watches, interrupted briefly by a deranged screaming tirade regarding the Conan the Barbarian remake.

Fini vs. Buz over Fright Night.

Foy vs. Creepy over Conan.

Four men enter. Four men leave.

Then the Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark remake gets served up on a silver platter, followed by a heaping helping of Shark Night cheesiness, then a quick spoiler-filled recapping of the non-events that comprised Apollo 18, and finally for desert we sink our teeth into the cowpie that was Creature.

Plus all the sidetracking zany discussions you’ve come to expect when we start rambling inanely.

As always, beware of major spoilers when discussing all of these offerings, even more so than usual since judging by the box office profits of these films, none of you saw any of them.

Listen to the new installment of Dinner for Fiends right now just as soon as you mutter those three magic words: YOU’RE AN IDIOT!

• Click here to download or just listen to the latest DFF as an MP3!
  • Click here to listen to Dinner for Fiends on your computer!
  • Click here to subscribe to the Dinner for Fiends podcast!
  • (non-iTunes)
  • Click here to subscribe to the Dinner for Fiends podcast! (iTunes)
  • BONUS!
    This already feature lengthy DFF even comes with an extra special 7-minute bonus you can listen to and download as an addendum as the show was finished recording and myself, Buz, and Fini were still on talking about a gloriously ludicrous obscure monster movie from 1973 called The Werewolf of Woodstock. We had just begun talking about when Buz decided this was worth rolling on and now you can listen to this extra as well.

• Click here to download or just listen to a DFF Werewolf of Woodstock addendum!

Eat up in the comments section below!

• -->

Genrewriter's picture

Great DFF, guys. Glad I skipped Fright Night though I'll probably check it out on DVD at some point.

PS: I also enjoy Howling II, it's simply one of the most hilariously bad movies I've ever seen. I wrote about it on www.agonybooth.com last year.

Submitted by Genrewriter on Thu, 09/15/2011 - 2:33pm.
    kiddcapone's picture

Another funny episode. It really makes my work day go by a lot faster when you post a new show and I have something to bridge the gap from lunch to quitting time.

I'll be honest, since I started listening to the shows, I find myself going to see movies I normally would wait until video just to see if we're on the same page or not. I personally don't know anyone who enjoys horror as much as I do and I gave up on MB's years ago, so listening to other knowledgeable genre fans is a good time. Which brings me to my only complaint about the show...I know everyone is busy, hell I have a 17 month year old baby reeking havoc at home, but it would be nice if ALL the people on the call actually saw the movies up for discussion. The best conversations are always when everyone chimes in with different opinions.

I still don’t get the Fright Night anger. The original is one of my all-time favorite movies. Most of the bitches about the remake are valid, but I still don’t see how it’s different from any of the 70/80’s horror movies we’ve grown up with that make little to no sense. Jason got reanimated by fucking lightning in part 4 and turned into a goddamn baby from toxic waste in part 8. The remake will never crack my top 200 movies but it made me laugh a few times and I wasn’t full of piss and vinegar afterwards like a few other movies recently. Maybe that’s why I didn’t mind it, which brings up…

Don’t be afraid of the dark. All my gripes were pretty much brought up in the discussion. The gardener who had an “accident” that no one questioned. The dark curtains over every window. The fact no one ever flips on a light switch. The old Poleroid flash camera that could take 500 pictures in the year 2011. The fact NO ONE looked at any of the pictures of the trolls. The arm/leg hanging in the bookcase. I could go on all night. Pure bullshit. Just Del Toro trying to turn everything into a dark fairytale. Stupid.

Apollo 18. Fuck this piece of shit. Fuck those stupid rock spider aliens up their boring nonsensical asses. Probably the worst movie I’ve seen by far all year. Period.

I still haven’t seen Conan, Creature, or Shark Night. Creature I’ll NEVER watch and the other two I’ll catch on Netflix.

Keep up the good work guys, catch you on the next episode.

Submitted by kiddcapone on Wed, 09/14/2011 - 12:32pm.

Thanks, man! Dig on a matinee of Shark Night or something it's a good time killer.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Wed, 09/14/2011 - 6:49pm.

Regarding your discussion on Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark and the flash on the Polaroid, for folks that were too young to remember...
    polaroid flashbar - http://bit.ly/o5k4ei
    10 flashes, then replace.

Submitted by mvario on Wed, 09/14/2011 - 9:03am.
    moderator THANK YOU! Foy, Buz, YOU'RE

THANK YOU! Foy, Buz, YOU'RE BOTH IDIOTS!

Submitted by Steve Barton on Wed, 09/14/2011 - 1:09pm.

You guys forgot to mention how the director completely squandered the talents of KNB Studios. The original had really memorable, creative make-up appliances. The remake had a really fucking lame Evil Ed make-up, as well as some vanilla vamps in the finale. Utterly pathetic. How many indie horror directors would kill to have the legendary KNB crew on set?! A LOT, I'm sure.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Tue, 09/13/2011 - 8:57pm.
    theGoldenSimatar's picture

I must side with Foy; Conan the Barbarian sucked.

However; Fright Night...it wasn't bad, wasn't great. It was serviceable.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Tue, 09/13/2011 - 7:47pm.
    moderator YOU'RE AN IDIOT! (j/k)

YOU'RE AN IDIOT!

(j/k)

Submitted by Steve Barton on Tue, 09/13/2011 - 7:49pm.
    theGoldenSimatar's picture

If it means anything; Creature sucked balls too :P

But in all honesty about Fright Night, yeah it wasn't as good as the original and as a standalone film, it was okay. I did completely agree though that the Eddie/Charlie relationship should have made up far more than the first 15minutes, but what ya gonna do?

All things considered, not even when comparing it to the original; but other remakes in general, it might not rank with the best, but neither the worse.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Tue, 09/13/2011 - 10:56pm.
    LifeMi's picture

Awesome podcast, guys. Hoping for a foycast where we can hear Foy and Creepy go at it over Conan.

With regards to the Howling sequels, I've been getting them on DVD and, once I have the Region 2 DVD of Part 7, I will watch them and let Matt know what I think.

Submitted by LifeMi on Tue, 09/13/2011 - 7:00pm.

I enjoyed the new Fright Night. It was fun, fast moving, and had just as many script strengths/weaknesses as the original. Of course I love the original and enjoy it much more than the remake. Roddy Macdowell as Peter Vincent is one of my favorite things on earth. That said, people that didn't grow up with Fright Night, that watched the film with me, found it more enjoyable than the classic and felt the characters were better defined. In the realm of remakes this isn't The Fog. It's more like The Blob; Not amazing, but a fun night at the movies. I would say it's on par, if not better than Fright Night Part II. That film has a million missteps and weak spots but I'm guessing you guys probably enjoy it as much as I do, and have seen it just as many times. :)

Submitted by deadthings23 on Tue, 09/13/2011 - 3:25pm.
    Vanvance1's picture

Are you kidding? The Russell remake of The Blob was spot on. I rank it as one of the top 5 remakes ever. It definitely justified it's existence doing most everything right.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Tue, 09/13/2011 - 3:54pm.
    nazo's picture

Fini's Fright Night savaging was cathartic. It says something that you can spend half an hour ripping that movie apart, and still not get to everything wrong with it. Although the fact that anyone could defend the Star Wars prequels baffles me.

For what it's worth, I would like to hear a DFF on the Leprechaun series. Or the Howling series, or even the Prom Night series.

Submitted by nazo on Tue, 09/13/2011 - 11:40am.
    Gus Bjork's picture

I'm looking forward to downloading this although I still have yet to see any of the movies covered.

In regard to retrospectives...I recently re-listened to the Animals Run Amok podcast which I think is the only one that doesn't focus on new releases. I wondered the same thing as Nazo, especially if you are going to try and have these more often. I would be interested.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Tue, 09/13/2011 - 4:20pm.
    nazo's picture

I recently re-listened to the Animals Run Amok podcast

That's a really good episode (example), entertaining, but also a great resource for finding good (or hilariously bad) movies I didn't know about.

Submitted by nazo on Tue, 09/13/2011 - 7:45pm.