See the Trailer for The Thing ... RIGHT NOW!

It's here, kids! Your first look at the trailer for this October's prequel/sequel to The Thing! Ready to find out who's human? We pray for the souls of them crazy Swedes!

Matthijs van Heijningen, Jr., is directing from a screenplay by Eric Heisserer and Ronald D. Moore. The cast includes Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Joel Edgerton, Jonathan Walker, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Dennis Storhøi, Trond Espen Seim, Jørgen Langhelle, Eric Christian Olsen, Stig Henrik Hoff, Jan Gunnar Røise, Kristofer Hivju, and Jo Adrian Haavind.

Look for The Thing in theatres on October 14, 2011.

Synopsis
Antarctica: an extraordinary continent of awesome beauty. It is also home to an isolated outpost where a discovery full of scientific possibility becomes a mission of survival when an alien is unearthed by a crew of international scientists. The shape-shifting creature, accidentally unleashed at this marooned colony, has the ability to turn itself into a perfect replica of any living being. It can look just like you or me, but inside, it remains inhuman.

In the thriller THE THING, paranoia spreads like an epidemic among a group of researchers as they’re infected, one by one, by a mystery from another planet. Paleontologist Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) has traveled to the desolate region for the expedition of her lifetime. Joining a Norwegian scientific team that has stumbled across an extraterrestrial ship buried in the ice, she discovers an organism that seems to have died in the crash eons ago. But it is about to wake up. When a simple experiment frees the alien from its frozen prison, Kate must join the crew’s pilot, Carter (Joel Edgerton), to keep it from killing them off one at a time. And in this vast, intense land, a parasite that can mimic anything it touches will pit human against human as it tries to survive and flourish.

See the Trailer for The Thing ... RIGHT NOW!

Find out who's human in the comments section below!

Source: MSN

I'm also really disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any standout characters in this version. No Macready or Childs + recycled plot = Shite.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Fri, 07/15/2011 - 2:58pm.
Sirand's picture

I'm going to bet money that they re-write the ending to this.

Submitted by Sirand on Fri, 07/15/2011 - 12:22pm.
kiddcapone's picture

I LOVE The Thing...it's always in my top 5 horror movies of all-time. My first thoughts after watching the trailer...bring it on! Yes, it looks like they borrowed some of the shit from Carpenter, but so what. I think it still can work. I love movies when people are trapped in an isolated place and can't escape. There is no way this prequel can ever diminish Carpenter's flawless masterpiece.

Shit, Paranormal Activity 2 was a prequel and basically used 80% of the SAME exact shit as the first film and everyone on here slurped that sucker like they had a financial stake in the flick...so what's the problem now? At least this looks like a real movie and not 20 minutes of camera footage of a vacuum cleaning a swimming pool.

And the Dawn remake was very good...just thought I'd throw that out there.

Submitted by kiddcapone on Fri, 07/15/2011 - 8:29am.
Diavolo's picture

With expectations set low, this will probably be enjoyable for a single viewing. Better than spending the rest of the winter tied to a f**cking couch.

Submitted by Diavolo on Fri, 07/15/2011 - 7:40am.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

It looks alright. Obviously re-treading some famous scenes from the original; but looks like it's trying to do some different stuff.

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 6:29pm.
moderator I agree. No one's
Debi Moore's picture

I agree. No one's reinventing the wheel here, but as long as it's respectful of and makes a nice companion piece to Carpenter's version, I'll be a happy camper.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 8:03pm.

If it's a companion piece I'll accept it. An all out remake that tries to out gore the Carpenter film? I'll banish it like a bastard child.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 07/15/2011 - 1:16am.
Foywonder's picture

I don't expect them to reinvent the wheel but at least they could have rotated the tires.

Submitted by Foywonder on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 8:26pm.
theGoldenSimatar's picture

Well, the wheel has just been reinvented...so they might do more than rotate the tires :P

Submitted by theGoldenSimatar on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 8:49pm.

I got a strong Winona Ryder vibe from Winstead's acting in that trailer. She made me think of Lydia from Beetlejuice.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 5:59pm.
moderator Everyone said the same thing

Everyone said the same thing about Dawn of the Dead. If it looks too much like Carpenter's it's a rip-off. If it looks too different then it's an abomination gone off in the wrong direction that should have just been released under a different title.

There's no winning!

Here's what I know ... along with the CGI I saw some glimpses of some cool looking practical effects along with the original theme in tact at the very end. This pleases me.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 5:28pm.
Foywonder's picture

"If it looks too much like Carpenter's it's a rip-off. If it looks too different then it's an abomination gone off in the wrong direction that should have just been released under a different title.

There's no winning!"

You mean like that time back in 1982 when John Carpenter took a classic 1951 science fiction horror movie about a Antarctic crew contending with a thawed out carrot man from outer space and remade it as an intense, graphically violent, sci-fi horror film about a body-jumping alien that takes on different grotesquely misshapen forms?

Was that not winning?

Submitted by Foywonder on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 11:29pm.
Shambling_in_Bandages's picture

Foy's comment is the John Carpenter's 'The Thing' of this entire discussion.

Submitted by Shambling_in_Ba... on Fri, 07/15/2011 - 8:37am.

Dawn 04 sucked. I don't know where you're going with that example.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 5:39pm.
moderator Dawn '04 did anything but

Dawn '04 did anything but suck. Different strokes I guess.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 5:46pm.

Well I didn't like it. That's all that counts. :-P

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 6:00pm.
Rottenjesus's picture

I bet you have a squeaky voice. :)

Submitted by Rottenjesus on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 9:56pm.

I wish I knew what that meant. Relax, I was only fucking around.

Submitted by Terminal on Fri, 07/15/2011 - 1:15am.

a rip-off is all it is.

Submitted by shallowcuts on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 5:03pm.
Matt Serafini's picture

I think it looks like shit. Looks IDENTICAL to Carpenter's.

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 4:42pm.

So, since it's identical. Are you saying the original was shit?

Trolling like a boss....

Submitted by justplaindoug on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 7:45pm.
dougevil's picture

Oops..old account.

Submitted by dougevil on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 7:49pm.
Sirand's picture

This shows the underlining problem of doing a prequel: It might as well be a remake, cause we're just gonna see the same stuff and learn all the same info all over again.

Hoping they have something unique up their sleeve, but right now this looks like a glossier version sans the coolness of Carpenter & Russell.

Submitted by Sirand on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 3:57pm.

I could take it or leave it. It just made me want to watch John Carpenter's movie more. But I'll give it a chance for MEW.

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 3:59pm.
PelusaMG's picture

I notice no-one was speaking Norwegian!!!

Submitted by PelusaMG on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 3:09pm.
moderator Okay. That looked pretty

Okay. That looked pretty fucking amazing.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 3:03pm.

I agree, I think it looks cool and might be a really awesome companion to the other TWO Things. Remember...Carpenter was doing a remake too people. It just wound up being good. Give movies a fucking chance before you throw them out...jeebus.

Submitted by justplaindoug on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 7:47pm.
dougevil's picture

Again, wrong account. Damn it.

Submitted by dougevil on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 7:49pm.

Harry Knowles was also excited by watching that trailer. You're starting to concern me Creepy! 28 years later and John Carpenter's The Thing is still utter perfection. I see no reason to spend $10+ to see what I know will be an inferior clone.

Submitted by LSD Zombie on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 5:50pm.
moderator Dude, I love The Thing. It's

Dude, I love The Thing. It's one of my absolute favorite films ever. I agree it is perfection. However, this flick isn't erasing its memory or stature. I'm just hoping they give us more of what we liked about Carpenters. That's all I want.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Thu, 07/14/2011 - 7:05pm.