Prepare to Have Your Mind BLOWN! Trailer For E.T. - Extinction

No amount of words can prepare you for the lunacy you are about to witness. We're still shaking. Way back in 1982 both E.T. and John Carpenter's The Thing waged intergalactic war for box office supremacy. Audiences opted for the friendlier alien movie. Now, decades later, those friendly aliens are back and they want more than just candy and telephones.

Turn on your heartlight, kids, and get ready for it to burn everyone around you to a violent cinder. We will tell you no more. You need to see this for yourself. It's the only way to properly illustrate what we're talking about.

Below you can gaze upon the glory that is the trailer for E.T.: Extinction. For more dig on the official E.T.: Extinction website, the Robert Blankenheim website and E.T.: Extinction on Facebook.

Holy shit.

Prepare to Have Your Mind BLOWN! Trailer For E.T. - Extinction

Phone home for help in the comments section below.

Cinemascribe's picture

Okay....

-I loved this. Possibly the best parody I've ever seen. No shit. that was brilliant. When Barrymore smacks the thing in the head and it falls over and groans "ouch', I almost pissed myself laughing.

That said....

...E.T. is a masterpiece and it fully earned that designation. It's not pap, it's a well made, entertaining and emotionally involving film. Hey, I enjoyed The Thing as much as the next person. Shit, man, when the one guy muttered "You gotta be fucking kidding" upon seeing his friend's head fall off, sprout legs and scuttle out of the room , I laughed my ass off and quoted that line for a year.

Horror is generally my first choice of genre, but I'll be the first to acknowledge that ET is a better film. Get past the family elements and there's actually a really creative and sharp sci-fi story going on there, at the center of which is one of the most ingeniously conceived extra terrestrial lifeforms ever created for a movie. I loved the fact that this being had a purpose for even being here.. I give Spielberg and crew full credit for exploring the idea that- of all the forms of intelligent life which may inhabit the farther regions of the universe - the Earth would likely hold the greatest interest to a collective of interstellar botanists given our varied flora. I also respect the intelligence and plausibility of how the scientists react to the creature.. at one point, after the house is cordoned off and tented b the government, there's a rush of excitement inside of the examination tent when they discover that ET has DNA. Details like that are strewn throughout the film (another terrific example would be the reveal that the "heart light" was actually a means for the crew of E.T.'s craft to communicate). The movie deserved every bit of success it enjoyed.

____________________________________________
"I'm saying that I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man...and loved it. But now the dream is over..and the insect is awake." - Seth Brundle

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Thu, 02/24/2011 - 7:02am.
GJW's picture

Okay....

THAT PART WAS HILARIOUS!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------
I'm not gonna kill you. Your job will be to tell the rest of them that death is coming for them, tonight. Tell them Eric Draven sends his regards.

Submitted by GJW on Thu, 02/24/2011 - 12:02pm.
Vanvance1's picture

E.T. is far from the worst movie ever made. That it possesses a few clever details doesn't change my gut reaction to the gooey, disneyesque tone suffusing the entire film.

I would not go so far as to call it a great science fiction film. I reserve that phrase for films that are about ideas. i.e 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Solaris etc...

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 02/24/2011 - 9:14am.
GJW's picture

I thought I was the only dude in the world that liked "Solaris". I watched that and "Event Horizon" in the same night a few times. I kind of like pairing the two for a Sci-Fi movie night!! Then there's "Sphere". Fuck "Sphere". I tried to add that on for a mini Sci-Fi marathon but that one bores me.

----------------------------------------------------

Submitted by GJW on Thu, 02/24/2011 - 12:09pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Skip Sphere the movie but try Sphere the book. They really buggered up the story, the movie just didn't work.

I love Event Horizon and Solaris. EH is a beautifully shot haunted house in space. Solaris is a thematically powerful film about how humans interact and define their relationships. It's an odd pairing but I can see how it would definitely provide serious entertainment.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 02/24/2011 - 6:09pm.
Cinemascribe's picture

Agreed on all counts Vanvance. I walked out of the film adaptation of Sphere fairly disgusted by what had been lost in translation. The book was superior in every regard.

Event Horizon caught me entirely off guard. It was as if someone had combined Hellraiser with 2001.Very good movie.

Oddly enough, I've only seen the original Solaris,not the version with Clooney. I enjoyed it though.

It's not horror, but another one I'll throw out there as an example of Sci-Fi done right is John Carpenter's Starman. Smart, entertaining flick with an incredible performance by Jeff Bridges.

------------------------------------------------

Submitted by Cinemascribe on Fri, 02/25/2011 - 1:07am.
Vanvance1's picture

Starman was a lot like a more adult oriented ET. Back then Carpenter was at the height of his powers and everything he touched is watchable gold.

I haven't seen the original film of Solaris, just the Soderberg (spelling) film. I did enjoy the book.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 02/25/2011 - 6:06am.
GJW's picture

Starman? LOL. No comment. That reminds me of another movie though I saw around the same period..."The Last Starfighter". Hahahaha. Ah, childhood, I miss you. I mean, I'm still a kid and all, just in an aging adult body. Sigh.

----------------------------------------------------

Submitted by GJW on Fri, 02/25/2011 - 3:26pm.
DavidFullam's picture

Now Starman is a damn good film.

Submitted by DavidFullam on Fri, 02/25/2011 - 1:31pm.
DavidFullam's picture

As an aside, I saw the original when it came out. Was about 11 or so. When it was over I came to the realization that mainstream American entertainment was no longer for me. I was all like "This is what everyone was gushing over? This shit."

Submitted by DavidFullam on Wed, 02/23/2011 - 12:40pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I had the same experience. I couldn't believe other kids were flocking to see something so sappy and annoying. The whole time ET was on screen I wanted someone to shoot him.

I really enjoyed this video, so much better than the original ET movie.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 02/23/2011 - 6:23pm.
DavidFullam's picture

Same here on the original. I hoped he would die before the spaceship got back to Earth. No such luck. But ET-X, I would see this!

Submitted by DavidFullam on Wed, 02/23/2011 - 6:34pm.
GJW's picture

I was around your age. I was also sitting,waiting,hoping at some point things were going to go/get bad, really bad. Maybe some invasion? A Battle? And.......well........."phone home"? Sigh.

----------------------------------------------------

Submitted by GJW on Wed, 02/23/2011 - 2:11pm.
DavidFullam's picture

After I saw The Thing on cable, I then realized that was the film I should have seen at the theater.

Submitted by DavidFullam on Wed, 02/23/2011 - 2:16pm.
GJW's picture

I always got fucked when it came time for "family" movie matinee day when I was a kid.. My mother would take my sister and I, my sister being younger, SO, we usually leaned towards, okay, ALWAYS leaned toward movies acceptable for her. Thank GOD my dad took me to Star Wars one night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, once I got to the point I was getting dropped off at the mall on Fridays on my own and seeing flicks with the buds............I remember my first were Commando, Predator, Hellraiser I and II, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Gate.....so I turned out okay LOL.

----------------------------------------------------

Submitted by GJW on Wed, 02/23/2011 - 6:19pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Early exposure to great horror is vitally important. Someone should write a book about this so future generations can develop good taste in movies/books.

Maybe some classical conditioning would help too. i.e. if the child was reading Poe or Lovecraft they'd get gifts of chocolates, but if they were reading 'Twilight' an electric shock, or a bullet in the knee.

But maybe real horror fans are born, not bred (nature vs. nurture) and it's why some of us were irritated by ET while the majority ate that pap up and asked for more.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Wed, 02/23/2011 - 6:44pm.
Awesome!
DavidFullam's picture

Awesome!

Submitted by DavidFullam on Wed, 02/23/2011 - 6:32pm.
GJW's picture

My favorite reads in school were all things POE, and Mack Bolan books. Mack Bolan was the shiznit!

----------------------------------------------------

Submitted by GJW on Wed, 02/23/2011 - 10:59pm.