MGM Getting Back on Track - Reboots a Coming

MGMMGM is starting to shed its recent skin of problems, and as a result some long gestating projects are finally starting to move.

According to Variety MGM has announced its first post-bankruptcy co-financing deal, and studio execs are telling creative reps that it's moving on a quintet of projects, including remakes of 1980s films RoboCop and Poltergeist.

The lion has also stepped aboard to co-finance Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters with Paramount. Good to have them back .... now how about those damned Cabin in the Woods and The Poughkeepsie Tapes releases, huh?

More soon!

Get yourself together in the comments section below!

Vanvance1's picture

RoboCop is one of my all time favourite movies. I have no problem with a 'reboot' provided:

1 - The film is directed by Paul Verhoeven or an equally interesting/individualistic director who has a proven understanding of satire and violence.

2 - The f/x used are all practical for RoboCop and any other robots he battles.

3 - They keep the original theme and music which is some of the best ever written for any film.

4 - The movie is a HARD R. Remember MGM, it was the PG crap that was RoboCop 3 that put the final nail in Orion pictures coffin.

5 - It is NOT directed by the pretentious asshole who made 'The Fountain'. Anyone who has seen said movie should be smart enough to know he's not right for RoboCop.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Fri, 02/18/2011 - 2:06am.

Anyone that's seen Requiem for A Dream, Pi, the Wrestler, and Black Swan knows that Darren Aronofsky is the shit.

Submitted by MouthForWar on Fri, 02/18/2011 - 8:41am.
LifeMi's picture

Agreed. Furthermore, you want Verhoeven to direct? What's the point of remaking it if it's going to have the same director so many years later? I fully agree with keeping the theme and R rating, but Verhoeven shouldn't go anywhere near this. Let someone else take a stab at it. As for the effects, I'd be cool with CGI enhancing a practical suit. I'm pretty sure that's what was done in Iron Man, so it could work pretty well.

Submitted by LifeMi on Fri, 02/18/2011 - 6:26pm.
Vanvance1's picture

Iron Man is mostly computer generated; this is especially obvious in a lot of scenes (notably when he takes flight).

Why Verhoeven again? Because he wouldn't do the same thing this time. He's extraordinarily clever and subversive; he'd find a way to give us a satiric RoboCop but wouldn't try to reproduce his previous work.

If Verhoeven isn't in charge the odds of getting a crappy remake that scene steals the best bits from the original, but gets them all wrong is the most likely outcome. See the remake of A Nightmare of Elm Street or The Hitcher as graphic examples.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 3:51am.
LifeMi's picture

What makes you think Verhoeven would even want to do another Robocop? I point you to the Vanishing remake from the 1990s as an example of what happens when a filmmaker remakes their own film. Yeah, the remake will probably suck, but I'd rather see someone else tackle it. Verhoeven doesn't need to.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 9:44am.
Vanvance1's picture

Truth is I sincerely doubt he'd want to do it but in my perfect world he'd get the option. The next logical wish list director would be Neil Marshall. He'd handle the violence well, is good with character and is British, thus steeped in a diet of satire.

I do want more RoboCop but I don't want the partial disaster of RoboCop 2 or the epic awfulness of RoboCop 3.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 11:21am.
LifeMi's picture

Neil Marshall would be a great choice! Good call, Vanvance1.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 1:43pm.
GJW's picture

Nolan. Christopher Nolan. He could do for this franchise what he did for Batman. End story.

----------------------------------------------------
I'm not gonna kill you. Your job will be to tell the rest of them that death is coming for them, tonight. Tell them Eric Draven sends his regards.

Submitted by GJW on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 7:17pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I think Nolan is a serious talent and I LOVED 'Inception'. He wouldn't be my choice for RoboCop because he doesn't handle violence well (the weakest elements of the Batman films) and he's not a fan of excess; an important element of the Verhoeven RoboCop.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 10:05pm.
LifeMi's picture

The problem with Nolan is that he tends to put fantastical elements into the world of reality; RoboCop is a straight-up, violent as shit comic book and shouldn't be done in the same style as Nolan's Batman films, in my opinion. And yes, the fight scenes would probably suck.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 10:14pm.
GJW's picture

Sigh. Two valid points. But, short rebuttal: Who's to say he couldn't go outside his normal "directorial box" and bring us a ROBOCOP we want. His Batman fight scenes were toned down,yes. But if he wanted to bring the ROBOCOP character to screen in true form he would have to adapt.
Side note: and why when I mention Nolan (anywhere) the first think I hear (90% of the time) is "I loved Inception". Doesn't anyone remember "Memento"? Yes, "Inception" was great. Visually stunning if I must. But to me "Memento" was a much better movie.

----------------------------------------------------

Submitted by GJW on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 11:07pm.
LifeMi's picture

Memento is fucking amazing; easily the best film he ever made, although I haven't actually seen Inception yet but I can't imagine that surpassing Memento. Also, while I'm not saying Nolan would make a Robocop film exactly like his Batman films, it seems to be his style and I'm not sure that would translate well with Robocop. That's just me.

Submitted by LifeMi on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 11:19pm.
GJW's picture

Valid points. Inception is worth a watch no doubt, but it wasn't the groundbreaking "holy-shit that was awesome' film that it is being made out to be, to me anyway. Memento remains MY personal favorite of his.

----------------------------------------------------

Submitted by GJW on Sat, 02/19/2011 - 11:58pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I adore Memento (bought it on blu as soon as I could). I'm also a fan of The Prestiege (an accurate representation of the book) and Inception.

So far his only misstep was 'Insomnia' and even that wasn't awful.

He'd still never be my choice for RoboCop. I think you need someone willing to push violent limits and make the mainsteam American audience uncomfortable.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Sun, 02/20/2011 - 12:11am.
GJW's picture

Oh snap (yes, I said it). I forgot about The Prestige. Another great one. Much better than the other of the like that came out around the same time (The Illusionist). Insomnia was a bit hard (for me) to get through. Not one of Pacinos best either.

----------------------------------------------------

Submitted by GJW on Sun, 02/20/2011 - 2:34pm.