Extended Version of In the Name of the King Sieging UK DVD

Oh, you lucky Brits. Sure the World Cup didn't turn out well for your nation, but here's a consolation prize that more than makes up for it: the extended 155-minute director's cut of Uwe Boll's epic In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale is coming to DVD shelves in the UK next week.

Once upon a time, word was Uwe Boll's $70 million dollar fantasy epic was so epic he intended to chop it in half and release it in two parts, a la Kill Bill. A mere two-hour cut opened in American theaters on January 8, 2008. It then left theaters a week later. Reviled by critics, mocked by fanboys, unable to even crack the top ten its opening weekend despite boasting a cast that would have made for the greatest episode of "The Love Boat" ever, now the long rumored director's cut is getting released to DVD in the United Kingdom on July 19th.

Why, I ask, am I only hearing about this now? I mean other than I live in the US. If I understand correctly, this extended cut has also been available for a while now in Boll's home country, but that doesn't count because as Justin Bieber has astutely said in the past, we don't use words like "German" in America. Where's the US release of this two and a half hour plus director's cut? For crying out loud, we got a director's cut of Alone in the Dark, and I don't think even Boll himself liked that one.

For those that need a reminder of why this news would probably excite only myself and Uncle Creepy, just listen to our exuberant recounting of this Boll-tacular epic in the second ever Foycast, appropriately dubbed "In the Name of the Boll".

So what can viewers of In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale: Extended Director's Cut expect? I'll quote the press release:

CONTAINS 37 MORE MINUTES OF ACTION, ADVENTURE AND STATHAM!

And if we're all really, really, really lucky, more epic shoveling!

There will be so much extra Krug-tacular action jam packed into this release there is no room for any extras on the DVD.

If you live in Britain or own a region-free DVD player, reserve your copy right now!

Extended Version on In the Name of the Kind Sieging UK DVD

- The Foywonder

Be a king in the Dread Central forums!

Cash Bailey's picture

I knew there was a reason I got out of bed this morning.

Submitted by Cash Bailey on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 3:02pm.
Matt Serafini's picture

This extended cut has been available in the US as a Blu-ray only exclusvie for a little over a year.

I know becuase I own it and love it!

Submitted by Matt Serafini on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 12:52pm.
Styling Shatner's picture

I can confirm that it's true also, as I saw it a few months ago from a Blockbuster rental.

I am surprised that Foy had no knowledge of it before, much less that he hasn't jumped into the Blu-Ray thing yet.

Believe me, the Director's Cut is better than the Theatrical Cut. Things are fleshed out, there's more action (although, no additional footage of EPIC SHOVELING), and some dangling plot points from the Theatrical are tied up in the Director's. If you are able to see it, you should. Trust me, it's not as bad as you may think given it's from Herr Boll, and you can always laugh at it too.

Submitted by Styling Shatner on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 5:53pm.
Foywonder's picture

Jump into Blu-ray? I still have shelves and boxes full of VHS.

Submitted by Foywonder on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 8:08pm.
Foywonder's picture

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???????????????

Damn, Blu-ray bullshit!

Again, why am I the last to hear of these things?

Submitted by Foywonder on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 4:10pm.
Genrewriter's picture

Actually, you're the next to last because I had no idea either.

Submitted by Genrewriter on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 7:36pm.
Vanvance1's picture

I'm embarrassed to say I never watched this. I read too many reviews stating it was boring and that was at the original length.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 12:42pm.
GJW's picture

Don't be embarrassed. You are not alone. I have not watched it yet either for pretty much the same reasons.

---------------------------------------------
Formerly FireRam

Submitted by GJW on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 1:40pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

It's not that bad. It's the same old thing said again and again, it's not good but it's fun. At least I thought so.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 5:12pm.
DavidFullam's picture

Put this bad boy on the shelves here in America stat!

Submitted by DavidFullam on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 10:52am.
Genrewriter's picture

I'm hoping for more scenes where it's brutally apparent that Burt Reynolds just does not give a shit.

Submitted by Genrewriter on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 9:56am.
GJW's picture

I thought Burt getting all oiled up and throwing nothing but cowboy boots on in that Demi Moore movie proved he just didn't give a shit. LOL

---------------------------------------------
Formerly FireRam

Submitted by GJW on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 6:46pm.
Genrewriter's picture

If you really want to see the man truly not giving a shit, watch Stroker Ace. He actually manages to make an already atrocious movie even worse, it's actually quite horrifying.

Submitted by Genrewriter on Thu, 07/15/2010 - 7:34pm.