Sam Raimi Off to See the Wizard in Oz: The Great and Powerful?

When was the last time you watched the 1939 classic The Wizard of Oz? As a kid I adored the movie. As a teenager I got really stoned while listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon as its soundtrack. Now, as an adult it officially scares the hell out of me. Oh, how times change. Could those scares transfer over to its prequel? How about if Sam Raimi is at the helm?

Variety reports that Raimi is circling the Wizard prequel, Oz: The Great and Powerful, which as of now has Robert Downey, Jr., unofficially attached to play the snake oil salesman himself.

The Disney flick tells the story of a circus wrangler who is transported via tornado to the mysterious land of Oz, where he is mistaken for an all-knowing wizard. Word around the industry is that the script balances character, levity, and scares.

We'll see just how scary things turn out. We're guessing timid, but hey, you never know. Don't expect regular coverage, if any at all, but if we hear something cool pertaining to the genre, we'll let ya know!

Sam Raimi (click for larger image)

See the wizard in the Dread Central forums!

DavidFullam's picture

With Hollywood strip mining fantasy novels of late, I'm surprised they haven't yet touched the Oz books.

Submitted by DavidFullam on Tue, 06/15/2010 - 1:46pm.
xy marla's picture

As on board I am with any RDJ-Raimi pairing, I grow weary of the never-ending Oz projects in the work. Adapt Wicked (the BOOK, not the musical) or go home.

check it! www.dannyisnthere.com

Submitted by xy marla on Tue, 06/15/2010 - 1:40pm.
Sirand's picture

Return to Oz is STILL creepy and trippy as all hell. I've always wanted them to do a non-musical Oz film series in the same vein.

Submitted by Sirand on Tue, 06/15/2010 - 1:31pm.
moderator I have no problem with a new
Debi Moore's picture

I have no problem with a new Oz, especially if Raimi and Downey, Jr., are involved. Sounds like a fun time to me.

Submitted by Debi Moore on Tue, 06/15/2010 - 1:27pm.

Like we need another Wizard of Oz movie.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 06/15/2010 - 10:28am.
Tshoffie's picture

i totally agree..completely unnecessary.. As for Raimi fuck him hes proven that he used the horror genre to move onto bigger things ..Fuck You Raimi..whatever happened to loyalty to horror

Submitted by Tshoffie on Tue, 06/15/2010 - 11:02am.
Vanvance1's picture

He did take the time to give us 'Drag Me to Hell' which was good fun.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Tue, 06/15/2010 - 1:25pm.
moderator And what exactly is wrong

And what exactly is wrong with bettering yourself as a filmmaker? If anything his success should encourage other young filmmakers to make quality horror movies.

Submitted by Steve Barton on Tue, 06/15/2010 - 1:38pm.

You can better yourself as a horror filmmaker. It is entirely possible.

But that's not my argument. Who needs another fucking Oz movie?
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Tue, 06/15/2010 - 4:51pm.