Wonderfully Macabre Dark Night of the Scarecrow DVD Artwork

Many a modern horror fan will argue 'til they're blue in the face that horror movies have to be R-rated to be any good. I'm guessing most of them have never seen the genuinely eerie 1981 made-for-TV chiller Dark Night of the Scarecrow. A chance to correct that oversight arrives this fall when this classic scarecrow shocker returns to terrorize DVD players.

Director Frank De Felitta's Dark Night of the Scarecrow tells of a mentally handicapped young man (Larry Drake of Darkman and Dr. Giggles villainy) wrongfully accused of assaulting a young girl in a rural farm community. Veteran character actor Charles Durning leads a lynch mob of locals to hunt down the gentle simpleton, who attempts to disguise himself as the scarecrow in his mother's field, only to get gunned down in cold blood by the mob. The murderous rednecks get away with murdering an innocent man by putting a pitchfork in his dead hands and claiming they killed him in self defense -- that is, until the night someone dressed as that scarecrow begins picking them off one-by-one with that very same pitchfork.

I saw the film as a very small child when it first aired on CBS in '81 and was so creeped out I could never bring myself to watch it again during my formative years when it re-aired. Can't wait to see it again with adult eyes since I hear from those who have that it still holds up even better than many other celebrated gore-soaked horror films of its era.

VCI Entertainment gives us all that opportunity on September 28th when Dark Night of the Scarecrow gets plucked from obscurity for a new special edition DVD release (digitally remastered, director and writer commentary track, and a world premiere trailer) just in time for Halloween season. Feast your eyes on the truly sinister DVD artwork VCI has cooked up for this long overdue release, and pre-order your copy below.

Wonderfully Macabre Dark Night of the Scarecrow DVD Artwork

- The Foywonder

Hide from a pitchfork-wielding mob in the Dread Central forums!

James Coker's picture

I also Recommend the completely Forgotten underrated 1995 Flick "NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW" too

Submitted by James Coker on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 12:01pm.
kiddcapone's picture

I broke down and bought a bootleg copy of the movie last year because it also was one of the films I loved as a kid. Sadly to say, it doesn't hold up over the years.

Submitted by kiddcapone on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 7:44am.

Scarecrows and clowns - *Shudders*

Submitted by PelusaMG on Tue, 05/11/2010 - 12:02am.
Vanvance1's picture

I've never seen it, but I'm sure when it's released DC will remind me it is around with a review.

And by the way: Yes, horror should be R or Unrated. Not all of it all of the time. Just almost all of it, almost all of the time. This amount can vary depending upon sub-genre (i.e. ghost stories are less likely to require a harder rating).

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 10:03pm.
Gus Bjork's picture

Nope. Not the case at all. It depends on the movie. When it comes to scares it's the story and it's telling. Tits, gore and language are only plan B.

Submitted by Gus Bjork on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 10:15pm.
James Coker's picture

LifeMi to erase that stain of scarecrow and scarecrow slayer even more you should check out "Night of the Scarecrow"(1995) if you can find it AND "Scarecrows"(1988) then those horrible memories of scarecrow and scarecrow slayer will be all gone

Submitted by James Coker on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 9:07pm.
FireRam's picture

I liked the 1988 "Scarecrows". If someone likes scarecrow movies and has not seen that I recommend it also.
-----------------------
SILENCE.....I KILL YOU!

Submitted by FireRam on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 10:40pm.
LifeMi's picture

Never heard of this, but it sounds interesting. If it'll erase the stain of Scarecrow and Scarecrow Slayer from my mind, then I'll be good.

Submitted by LifeMi on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 8:58pm.
James Coker's picture

now that we've got this, I want the underrated and forgotten 1995 "NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW" on dvd next, c'mon my fellow horror bretheren some of you had to have remembered that one

Submitted by James Coker on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 8:52pm.

GREAT revenge horror film, great cover art, and love the ending.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 8:29pm.
tedge1979's picture

I had never seen this film before a year ago, and was extremely excited to see it. What I ended up watching was an extremely slow, very underwhelming drama that probably would have scared the Hell out of me as a child, but did absolutely nothing for me at age 30. I do, however, have a feeling I'm alone in this thought process.

Submitted by tedge1979 on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 8:26pm.
Didn't See It Coming's picture

This is one of those films I'm wary of watching again. I remember loving it when I was kid but perspective can be one helluva bitch.

Submitted by Didn't See It Coming on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 8:15pm.