Writer Eric Heisserer Talks Getting Final Destination 5 Right

We told you last week about horror's latest hot commodity, writer Eric Heisserer (A Nightmare on Elm Street 2010, Universal's prequel to The Thing), taking on the surely arduous task of getting The Final Destination franchise back on track, and today the scribe spoke a bit about what he has in mind!

We don't know very much about Final Destination 5 right now other than it's home to a scene in which one of its characters undergoes laser eye surgery, but from Heisserer's interview with iF Magazine we have a clear picture of the approach being taken to offer a lifeline to the flailing property.

"It will be out next year. That's the plan," Heisserer tells the mag. "We're going to go back to what made the original work and build from there. We're going to make sure we're creating a good suspense horror movie that happens to be a FINAL DESTINATION movie. That's not to say it's not going to have the hallmarks of what we've come to love about the franchise. We learned a lot of lessons from the fourth movie, and we want to show we've grown from that. I also want to show what I love about the franchise, and most of what I loved about it is all in the first one."

Look for more soon!

Meet your doom in the Dread Central forums!

Vanvance1's picture

I think this horse has been beaten to death. That they are still kicking it's skeleton is damnably depressing. Hollywood won't get any of my horror bucks for this regurgitated crap.

If we all ignore this and say "give us something new" they just might have to. Call me an idealist.

Submitted by Vanvance1 on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 7:11pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

That'll never happen.

But Gus read my mind the last time these movies came up. I really enjoy all the F13th movies because they were never anything more than kills and T&A. All I expect from one of these movies is complex kills. Everything else bores me. I have to say I enjoyed The Final Destination in 3D pretty well even though 3D is a total gimmick and I wish it would go away.

Most enjoyable kill to me even though it was relatively simple was the kid blowing up at the grill.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 7:49pm.

Actually, for me, this is pretty much the only kind of movie I look forward to in 3D.

Avatar's "immersive 3D environment"? Pass. I'll take pipes being put through windshields and fun, gimmicky deaths in 3D over comic book movies in 3D.

I enjoyed My Bloody Valentine 3D and The Final Destination (though I think it was the weakest of the four movies...and damn, I would've loved to see Part 2 in 3D) and I'm looking forward to this, Pirahna 3D and Cabin in the Woods.

Submitted by G.D. on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 8:40pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

I'm looking forward to Piranha 3D also. Aja is the one studio puppet director I think actually has some talent. I didn't like The Hills Have Eyes but it still showed promise I thought. There's an article about him in the latest HorrorHound.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 8:48pm.
Floydian Trip's picture

The first one wasn't nearly as fun as the subsequent movies including The Final Destination to me. 2 is my favorite though. This is one case where they need to stay away from plot and characters and just focus on making the kills inventive, complex and interesting. Sounds like they're going in the wrong direction which isn't surprising at all.

Submitted by Floydian Trip on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 7:06pm.
FireRam's picture

I was disappointed with the last installment, moreso than I was with the one previous to that. 1 and 2 were the only ones I found to be "good". Maybe this will be like the last SAW and bring this franchise back to life. I'd wager against that but remain hopeful.

Submitted by FireRam on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 6:35pm.
LifeMi's picture

I'm cautiously interested in this one. I liked The Final Destination, but I'll admit it's more entertaining than good. Hopefully Heisserer can put character and story back into the series.

Submitted by LifeMi on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 6:26pm.

Yeah I'm sure there's going to be a story. Thirty minutes of ridiculous deaths with ten minutes of character filler.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 6:15pm.

So you reckon it'll be a 40 minute movie?

Submitted by G.D. on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 9:03pm.

Not the least pardner, but I do figure it to be a mite braindead.
----------

Submitted by Terminal on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 9:05pm.